E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Adding OEM Bi-Xenon's to 2009 e350 sport w/stock Halogens...questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow Adding OEM Bi-Xenon's to 2009 e350 sport w/stock Halogens...questions

Wanted to say hello. We have a 05' CLK and enjoy it but it's time for more room so I haven't said "goodbye" yet to my CLK friends but wanted to ask before I take ownership (will post pictures once everything is finalized) of a very good condition 09' e350 with the AMG sport package, super clean.

It doesn't have Option package 2. That's fine, I really don't care to have keyless go, but the BIGGEST thing I want is Bi-xenons.

When we bought our clk320 it came stock with halogen headlights (reflector based). I purchased a set of OEM bi-xenon projector headlights, opened them up and changed out the Fresnel lesnse to some nice clear ZKW-Rs... made the cut off perfect. As far as makign them work, obviously by default since the car was keyed for halogens they would flicker if the car was turned on and you turned the new bi-xenon's to ON. All I had to do was go to the Indy shop and have them go into STAR and do "XENON=PRESENT" and the lights worked fine, and have been for 2 years that they've been on the car. Yes I did not have the adaptive turn and auto adjust which is fine, I didn't care to get any of that working. or spend another 3-4k on parts/wiring...etc.

Is it safe to assume with the E350 that one can buy OEM bi-xenon projectors install them and then go to the shop and have them turn on "XENON=PRESENT" in STAR in order for the lights to work?

I have no desire to get ebay projector lights, or fiddle with doing a retro-fit (I've done many retrofits including my truck, STi, and wife's Toyota) so I have a good amount of experience baking headlights and making it look good,... with this though I want it to look and appear as STOCK as possible. I noticed on the headlights they have two adjustment points on them with one being a hex socket and one being covered by a gray plug (circle/square in picture attached) This was very similar on the CLK headlight as I had to remove both gray covers on the headlight to adjust the horizontal/vertical beam manually since I did not have the bi-xenon factory wiring harness that would enable them to do so automatically.

I understand I won't have the auto level/and adaptive turning. I am OK with this. I've read everything from no it won't work at all, to yes, just do the STAR setting and they are plug in play (Which I would expect given it was the case with our CLK), but wanted to make sure before I spend money on OEM bi-xenons.

I love Mercedes but it cracks me up how they don't have bi-xenon's as standard equipment on a 60k car...lol

Sorry for the long winded questions.

Thanks much,
-Nigel
Attached Thumbnails Adding OEM Bi-Xenon's to 2009 e350 sport w/stock Halogens...questions-headlight.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
I'm surprised no one has done this or posted any information about it?

Guess I'll be the guinea pig and post after everything is all done.

-Nigel