E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E350 2006 4Matic transfer case production variations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matic, 2004 C240 4Matic wagon
Question E350 2006 4Matic transfer case production variations

I would like to know if there were any variations in the transfer cases produced in 2006 for the W211 E350 sedans?
We replaced a faulty one with a bone yard piece, the 4matic works well but a nasty vibration ensued and also an out of balance type rotational noise at speed.
We lowered the replacement case and shimmed it up a little with washers and it seemed to alleviate 70% of the problems. Wondering if there were different cases used over the 211 life span that could change the drive geometry?
Would more shims do the trick?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Serial # will give indication if TC is susceptible to vibration. MBUSA released service campaign attachment.
Attached Thumbnails E350 2006 4Matic transfer case production variations-capture.jpg   E350 2006 4Matic transfer case production variations-capture2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007100004.pdf (220.9 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 01-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman75 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
I posted a similar issue below.

Does what =I described below sound like I may need a new transfer case as well?

Thanks.

I have the same issue.

I just bought a 2011 C300 4Matic and it runs great except for this slight vibration I feel in D or R. It goes away in N, P or "at moving speed." While waiting at a traffic light in D, The vibration disappears once you stat moving or shift out of gear into N or P.

The other day, I had new engine and transmission mounts installed. While the vibration is much less than before, I can still tell it is there. The mounts just help mask the vibration. They are not the cause per se. My old mounts were not really bad.

Since I purchased the car, I've been combing through the threads for similar issues. It seems that those with these symptoms have all gone ahead and replaced the three mounts. While it has solved the problem for some (likely b/c they indeed needed new mounts), many 4Matic owners (not just he W204) have not had this resolved, including myself.

there are some threads that allude to the drive axle and drive shaft particular to the 4Matic. Some have had this expensive repair cure them of the problem. Another seem to have needed a new transfer case.

Anyway, I'm subscribed to this thread now and hope others will report back with their results. While there are many threads out there about this issue, many posters do not bother to follow up with what fixed the problem.

One more thing.

What I do notice, is that depending on the incline of the road that I am on (while stopped in D at a light), the vibration *seems" to diminish to noting, while other lights it is constant. I'm not sure if the wheel position may have something to do wit this.

There is also one other issue now that I think about it. When I first got the car, it had the vibrations, but it also had this steering noise and vibration as well. IF I turned the wheel as it nears the travel stops, there was a shudder-like vibration too. Now that I have new mounts, the vibration is less as mentioned, along with much less shudder in the steering wheel when turned towards stops. Like the general vibration, the steering vibration is still there but much less. The mounts are holding/masking some issue together. These two symptoms are likely related.