E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DTC P2420 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High

Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec | 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel | 1965 Mustang Coupe 289 | 2015 Triumph Speedmaster
DTC P2420 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High

Hi guys,

I recently completed my oil cooler seal replacement, swirl flap (aka inlet port shutoff) motor replacement and cleaned my intakes on my 08 E320 Bluetec. Everything went fairly well. I expected not to have any trouble codes after this however the engine light remained on and when I ran the codes I got P2420. After a general (non MB specific) google search it came up as "Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High". I'm not sure if this was related to the repair job or not but in any case it's my only outstanding issue. Anyone have any experience with this code and where I can start to remedy this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BenzKraft; 01-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec | 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel | 1965 Mustang Coupe 289 | 2015 Triumph Speedmaster
I just thought I'd follow up on this thread I started for others' benefit. I was able to narrow down the code (P2420) to P242F - "Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash". Apparently the DPF will inevitably get so full of ash that it needs to be cleaned out or replaced. The DPF converts soot to ash through its active/passive regeneration process but once enough ash accumulates in the DPF it has to be addressed. There are two ways of dealing with this: 1. get a new DPF at $1800 CAD from the dealership or 2. Have your DPF cleaned out for a lot less $$ ($300-$400) so long as it's not damaged from excessive heat due to the regeneration process. I was able to find a company that specializes in DPF cleaning and it's worked out quite well for me. Andrew at "DPF Solutions" (www.dpfsolutions.co) in Mississauga ON, Canada did a great job cutting open the DPF and NOx filters, cleaning them out and welding it all back together like new. The cost was significantly less than replacing the DPF with a brand new one and that's not including labour. I was able to remove the exhaust from the cat, back myself and take the whole thing in to his shop. Normally you can detach the DPF from the rest of the exhaust but one of the pipes was so fused together that I had to take the whole assembly in.

Last edited by BenzKraft; 08-12-2017 at 09:41 AM.