E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E220 CDI 2003 Engine cuts off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220 cdi
E220 CDI 2003 Engine cuts off

Yesterday my car was in reverse for about 70 meters---complete stop, and then I shifted the gearbox to D. The car went on just 5 meters I guess, and then it died. I turned it back on. Check engine light came up. At this stage, acceleration was still normal, so I drove on. Then I had to stop at traffic light with SBC Hold for like 100 seconds. When it was green, I pressed the pedal, and again the engine died in the middle of an intersection.

After the second cut off, the acceleration was still normal after 2 or 3 kilometers, and then the pedal was light with limited RPM. [not sure if it was limp home mode] [Engine light still on]

This morning while I was on my way to a worhkshop, the car seemed to be running fine again; still the engine light was on. However, after 2 or 3 kilometers, the pedal was light again--limited RPM.

Error code was fuel pump -- replace with a new one. [I didn't know the code.] Clear error code. The engine light was gone.

With new fuel pump, the car was able to run with normal acceleration for about 20 kilometers, and then I felt a soft jerking when I took my foot off the pedal[40-60km/h]. A few seconds later, the engine light came back on, again the pedal was light, but the car was still able to go on. Then I had to stop to pay toll fee. After releasing the brake, I gently press on the pedal. With no luck, the engine cut off again.

After a stop for 15 minutes, the car was running fine again with 2 or 3 kilometers, then the pedal became light and the engine cut off. It was looping like this. Eventually, I gave up and called for slide towing truck to return to the workshop.

Two hours prior to the incident, I filled up the car with apporx. 30 litres of Shell v power nitro+ diesel, which was different from the remaining [1/4] diesel [PTT Hyforce] in the tank, and installed rear parking sensor.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jamikorn; 01-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.