E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Garage Door Opener Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Garage Door Opener Problems

Has anyone been unable to program there garage door opener. I have followed the directions and it has not worked. My garage door opener is made by LiftMaster.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:26 PM

'16 528i MSport
Welcome to the club. I am unsuccessful in programming our Homelink even with the substantial amount of tips and advice I've perused through on this forum. We have given up on it until we get it in for service This Wednesday for them to check it out....
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
I have the lift master as well. I just programmed the homelink last night. I had initial problems however I used the search button and came up with a solution bc of a helpful member.
1. Clear your factory presets by holding down both buttons on your homelink for twenty secs. It should blink fast.

2. place your remote garage door opener BTWN THE GLASS AND BACK OF MIRROR (dont ask...it works) and press both buttons simulataneously.

3. press the LEARNING button on your lift master main unit (you'll need a ladder)
4. press the desired homelink button u want to program within 30 secs. (it's longer than you think)

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT PLACE YOUR CAR PARKED HALF WAY IN/OUT OF YOUR GARAGE. (it's happened before LOL)
Hope this helps
Jay
The following 2 users liked this post by saffrontiger:
Gw.w (07-07-2018), KKirby55 (05-26-2021)
Old 06-21-2004, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by saffrontiger
I have the lift master as well. I just programmed the homelink last night. I had initial problems however I used the search button and came up with a solution bc of a helpful member.
1. Clear your factory presets by holding down both buttons on your homelink for twenty secs. It should blink fast.

2. place your remote garage door opener BTWN THE GLASS AND BACK OF MIRROR (dont ask...it works) and press both buttons simulataneously.

3. press the LEARNING button on your lift master main unit (you'll need a ladder)
4. press the desired homelink button u want to program within 30 secs. (it's longer than you think)

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT PLACE YOUR CAR PARKED HALF WAY IN/OUT OF YOUR GARAGE. (it's happened before LOL)
Hope this helps
Jay
Many people have had problems at first in programing the homelink. The manual is not clear enough on the procedure.
Most of us missed the part about putting the remote up to the homelink sensor (see #2 in the quote above)
Old 06-21-2004, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I called the number in the little Quickie Start manual in the glove compartment and spoke with the manufacturer rep who walked me through the procedure. It did involve holding some buttons and unplugging the unit so you will need a ladder to get to your unit and DO NOT PARK THE CAR HALF WAY IN OR OUT OF THE GARAGE...

It is called the Quick Tip Guide...the HomeLink page. Call 8-800-FOR-MERCedes and they will connect you with HomeLink...the Menu has this situation listed.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by saffrontiger

Hope this helps
Jay
As indicated in my posting many many moons ago, most owners manual are not written clearly and Step #2 is not included.

In fact, Step #2 trains the homelink unit within the W211 to function within the same frequency hopping algorithm on your remote.

Once this is done, than the garage main unit (head unit) can 'LEARN' about the new remote (your integrated homelink).

DaCeptak0n, try erasing your homelink (see step #1) and try again.

GL
Old 06-21-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now here's an example of when Audi is easier. I simply pressed one of the buttons on the homelink until it flashed, pointed my remote at a sensor on the front bumper and voila, you're done in 5 seconds. Getting up on a ladder seems ridiculous to get this done with the Benz.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
mine worked fine from day one,no ladder needed just pointed my remote on the rear view mirror per instruction and viola !!!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:55 PM

I doubt this has to do with Audi vs. MB. The use of the ladder is so that you can press the "learn button" on the garage opener with the ROLLING CODE feature. Garage openers with a ROLLING CODE are very secure, but takes longer to program the car's homelink. Garage openers without the ROLLING CODE feature are susceptable to code theft. If I were you, I would check to see if your garage opener has the rolling code feature

Originally posted by PUZZ1
Now here's an example of when Audi is easier. I simply pressed one of the buttons on the homelink until it flashed, pointed my remote at a sensor on the front bumper and voila, you're done in 5 seconds. Getting up on a ladder seems ridiculous to get this done with the Benz.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 AM

Re: Garage Door Opener Problems

You must have a LiftMaster opener with ROLLING CODE, like me. It took me awhile to figure things out, and the MB manual is not entirely clear regarding the need to repeat steps in some systems. OK, here's what I did to make things work:

1) Erase the car's homelink memory by pressing and holding the two outer homelink buttons for at least 20 seconds, then release.

2) Step up onto the ladder. Press and release the learn button once on your garage opener motor. You have 30 seconds to do step 3.

3) Press and hold the homelink button you want AND THEN press and hold the orginal Liftmaster remote button until the garage opener light blinks twice (should blink within 2 seconds of pressing your Liftmaster remote button). Release.

4) Step up onto the ladder again. Press and release the learn button once. Go back to the car.

5) Press and hold the same homelink button as in step 3. Within 2 seconds, you should notice the garage opener light blink twice.

Congratuations, your homelink button has been trained.

Originally posted by koko381
Has anyone been unable to program there garage door opener. I have followed the directions and it has not worked. My garage door opener is made by LiftMaster.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:55 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Re: Re: Garage Door Opener Problems

Originally posted by zzoorrkk
You must have a LiftMaster opener with ROLLING CODE, like me. It took me awhile to figure things out, and the MB manual is not entirely clear regarding the need to repeat steps in some systems. OK, here's what I did to make things work:

1) Erase the car's homelink memory by pressing and holding the two outer homelink buttons for at least 20 seconds, then release.

2) Step up onto the ladder. Press and release the learn button once on your garage opener motor. You have 30 seconds to do step 3.

3) Press and hold the homelink button you want AND THEN press and hold the orginal Liftmaster remote button until the garage opener light blinks twice (should blink within 2 seconds of pressing your Liftmaster remote button). Release.

4) Step up onto the ladder again. Press and release the learn button once. Go back to the car.

5) Press and hold the same homelink button as in step 3. Within 2 seconds, you should notice the garage opener light blink twice.

Hi zzoorrkk

Your step (2) may be redundant. The 30 seconds limit is actually for your step (4) .

After reading so many owner's manual from Homelink, Genie, BMW, MB, I noticed that these manuals always missed your step (3) --- same as step (2) of safrontiger.

In any case, you got yours working. GL to others
Old 06-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Almost a Member!

W211 E320 4Matic
For a Genie brand garage door opener:

1. assign the homelink button - press and hold the desired homelink button and then depress and hold the opener button... continue holding both buttons until the homelink flashes rapidly (10-15 seconds)

2. on the drive unit in the garage press the learn button

3. within 30 seconds dart back in the car and depress the programed homelink button for 2 seconds 3 times (on the third time the garage door will activate) and the rolling code algorithm is assigned to the opener.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:23 PM

2004 E500
Thanks a lot guys. It worked. This forum is amazing.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Mb E360
Thumbs up This worked perfectly!! Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by zzoorrkk

This worked perfectly!! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 C230 Sport, 88 MAZDA RX-7 GTU, 84 Caprice Estate, 07 Kawasaki KX 250
This may be an old subject but I have not seen this. Just rented a garage at my condo with Overhead Door Legacy Opener. Started removing the light cover and realized the learn button an all other controls are on the back side of the opener.

I did not try to pull the car into the garage as I see no way I can get on a ladder, push the learn button as the car will be under me. I guess they have outsmarted us.

I tried programming with the car outside the garage but no luck, I have watched youtube videos on doing this and none of the openers had the controls on the backside facing the wall, not the outside of the door. It is easy to stand on a ladder with a remote in your hand, but your sure cant do it with a car under you.

Overhead Door Legacy Opener using a Newer Genie Remote

Anyone seen this?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by wynn711
This may be an old subject but I have not seen this. Just rented a garage at my condo with Overhead Door Legacy Opener. Started removing the light cover and realized the learn button an all other controls are on the back side of the opener.

I did not try to pull the car into the garage as I see no way I can get on a ladder, push the learn button as the car will be under me. I guess they have outsmarted us.

I tried programming with the car outside the garage but no luck, I have watched youtube videos on doing this and none of the openers had the controls on the backside facing the wall, not the outside of the door. It is easy to stand on a ladder with a remote in your hand, but your sure cant do it with a car under you.

Overhead Door Legacy Opener using a Newer Genie Remote

Anyone seen this?
The car just has to be a convenient distance from the door opener, not under it. You have enough time to press the buttons & get to the mirror and the back of the opener too. Of course the ladder has to be under the opener.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM

E430
I realize I have nerco'd this thread but I wanted to confirm that I got the homelink working by following instructions found here. After reading the manual, other threads, youtube video demos, and several unsuccessful tries, I got it to work. The key was found in this thread.

saffrontiger said to hold the remote BETWEEN the glass and the back of the rearview mirror when syncing the code from the remote to the homelink in the car. This was the crucial step for me and instantly worked. It was a game of inches, all 2 of them, behind the rearview mirror, that made the difference. None of the youtube videos I viewed filmed this crucial step. Most threads do not mention it, and include other elaborate instructions to program the homelink. Mine worked according to the manual, with the remote in between the glass and the back of the mirror.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by AZMBNZ
I realize I have nerco'd this thread but I wanted to confirm that I got the homelink working by following instructions found here. After reading the manual, other threads, youtube video demos, and several unsuccessful tries, I got it to work. The key was found in this thread.

saffrontiger said to hold the remote BETWEEN the glass and the back of the rearview mirror when syncing the code from the remote to the homelink in the car. This was the crucial step for me and instantly worked. It was a game of inches, all 2 of them, behind the rearview mirror, that made the difference. None of the youtube videos I viewed filmed this crucial step. Most threads do not mention it, and include other elaborate instructions to program the homelink. Mine worked according to the manual, with the remote in between the glass and the back of the mirror.

Thanks for the help!
Finally, I got my remote to work, after had been giving up for years.
Thanks all for the help!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM

E350
No hand held remote…help

We have not used hand held remotes for our garage doors for years. Do we have to have one to program our new Mercedes garage door opener?? We have had other cars and never had to use a hand held unit to program the car's openers. Every set of directions I can find in the manual and online say to program a handheld unit first. So, is that absolutely necessary to be able to program the car's unit?? Very frustrating. Any help is much appreciated as my salesman is "off today."
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM

E350
Answered my own question

I called the dealer's service dept. and found out you do have to program a hand held remote first, which is antiquated, but I got a new battery for one of our old remotes and did just that and it is working fine now. The odd thing is now the hand held opener is not working. Very strange. Rolling codes I suppose is the reason but I find it odd that with all o the Mercedes technology we still have to program a hand held remote first. Oh well. I love my new car!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Mercedes E350 Bluetec
I tried many of the suggestions I read here but none of them worked. I have a 2012 E350 Bluetec and a Liftmaster garage door opener. I ended up talking to someone from Homelink (brand that is in the mercedes built in garage door opener) and they helped me get it working. Here is a link to the instructions which you have to follow precisely:
http://chamberlain.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/3215

Hope this helps others.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by zzoorrkk

Originally Posted by GearHead
Hi zzoorrkk

I have lift masters 8500's so this is excellent. I've tried programming it before and didn't work but think I did it wrong.

Will do this again!

Your step (2) may be redundant. The 30 seconds limit is actually for your step (4) .

After reading so many owner's manual from Homelink, Genie, BMW, MB, I noticed that these manuals always missed your step (3) --- same as step (2) of safrontiger.

In any case, you got yours working. GL to others

Going to try this and hope it works this time!!

-Nigel
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Mine took forever to program and drove me almost insane. I followed the instructions from the opener and Homelink precisely and could not get it to work.

The wife comes outside, asks me what's wrong, reads the directions once, hops into the car and BINGO.

I am sure you know how I felt, ........ But hey, the darn thing is working and that's all that matters.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:52 AM

I still can't get this to work at all with my liftmasters.

I've done everything here.

I clear out the presets so that then the led flashes rapidly.

I go to my garage door opener since it has the learn button on it. I push it. It lights up orange.

I then go back into the car, push and hold the first button on the left, and hit the remote garage button that's already programmed to the door. Light flashes twice.

I go back to the garage door opener, push the learn button so it lights up orange.

Go back into the car and push the first button on the mirror.... nothing happens. It illuminates in the car but nothing happens to the light inside the garage.

Surely it can't be this difficult. What am I missing?

EDIT:

I've tried the following instructions here, MB command instructions and Liftmaster instructions listed above. Nothing works.

According to liftmaster they changed their code to 2.0+ or something like that in 2011. Then on homelink's site they indicate the following:
"If your HomeLink programming was unsuccessful, you may need a HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Kit which will allow your garage door opener to be compatible with HomeLink. Please contact us for more information."

-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 02-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Edit 2:

I called homelink, explained the problem.

He said the homelink in our 2009 is older than the liftmaster technology of the garage openers.

I need the following:
Amazon Amazon

The remote control will talk to the MB homelink and then the homelink in the MB will talk with the repeater which in tern will talk to the on wall control of the liftmaster...

DAMN!

It's cheap at 23 bucks.

Ordered and will report back once I get it.

-Nigel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Problems