E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Steel Wheels for Snow Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
Question Steel Wheels for Snow Tires?

Does anyone know if I can get steel wheels for snow tires for the new E? Living in the northeast, snow is a way of life. In the winter, steel wheels are the best alternative to alloys because of the salt and curb rash.

I have an E500 sport (17" alloys). Are the brakes larger on the sport model or the same size as non-sport models? If they are the same size, can I fit 16" wheels and snows?

'03 E500
'01 BMW 525i sport wagon
'97 E320
'90 Porsche C2 Cab
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 AM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Wheels for snow tires

Hi Alfa Fan: I don't know about steel wheels, however I was able to buy a set of nearly new 16" alloy wheels from an 03 E 320 for $500. I then mounted a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2, 225-55-16 tires. I took a long road trip through New Mexico, Colorado and Utah last December. The tires were fabulous!! An added benefit is that the 16 inch tire fits in the spare tire location. So now I have a full size spare!! On my car, I just used the same bolt with a plastic knob from a 2003 Lexus ES 300 used to hold down its spare tire; I still can use the space inside the spare tire for some storage space instead of that tray that the car comes with that fits on top of the compact spare.

I don't like compact spares because I take long road trips, and I don't want to have to buy a new tire within 50 miles of wherever my tire gets damaged. I had a very poor experience trying to get my tire repaired when out on the road, as it seemed like the shop I went to just wanted to sell me a new tire and not fix something that obviously was repairable.

I bought my rims from a place here in Miami, FL called Ernie's Alloys 305-687-0028. I found the shop when I searched for rims on Ebay; I have seen 16 inch rims from 03 and 04 E 320's on sale on Ebay from other sources.

Of course, you could go to Tire Rack and see what rims they offer, but when I looked, there were no steel rims that I could find. You could contact the dealership, but I didn't bother since for $500 I got a nice extra set of rims.

As far as tires, the Dunlop Wintersports were great. I got them from Tirerack.com for about $115 each including shipping.

I drove on snow packed roads in high mountain passes, and I was surprised at how much traction I had, even seeing many cars that had spun off I-70 in Colorado near the Eisenhower tunnel. That included all wheel drive vehicles, for I think that those people forget that all wheel drive doesn't help them stop any shorter than a 2 wheel drive car.

The Dunlops are a little noisier than the stock Continentals, and I got about 1-2 less miles per gallon with them. This was not due to winter fuels, as I drove the car with these tires from Florida.

However, if you drive on roads that are never plowed such as dirt roads, then you might want to consider the metal studded Nokian tires that so many people rave about on lots of different message boards. I didn't get snow chains, but you might need them if you are going to drive in deep snow with the Dunlops. There are places on the web where you can order the cable type of traction device for the 16 inch tire.

William
2003 E 320 37k miles

Last edited by X72; 07-27-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Gas Sedan
I had a C 240 wagon for 6 months and bought snow tires and rims that were never used. The size was 205/55-16. I have since dumped the car and purchased a 2005 E320 without the sports package. The new car has a tire size of 225/55-16. Will I still be able to use the 205/55-16 on the E320? Will it be safe to drive with smaller tires? I really do not want the hassle of selling and shipping these tires. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Kentom...any word or pics on the grille situation?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Gas Sedan
Jack- I installed the silver grilll and badge last weekend and did not have the time to take any shots but will do so soon. It's pretty stunning.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by kentom
I had a C 240 wagon for 6 months and bought snow tires and rims that were never used. The size was 205/55-16. I have since dumped the car and purchased a 2005 E320 without the sports package. The new car has a tire size of 225/55-16. Will I still be able to use the 205/55-16 on the E320? Will it be safe to drive with smaller tires? I really do not want the hassle of selling and shipping these tires. Thanks for any help.
Both cars use a 5x112 bolt pattern, so the wheels will probably fit, altho I don't know about offset and width.

The 205 tires are almost 1" narrower, which will cost you some braking and cornering capability. They will be 8.4% smaller in diameter, and will produce that much speedometer and odometer error (speedo will read faster than actual and odo will read more miles than it should). However, the car will accelerate that much better. What the difference will do to ABS, stability and traction control systems is anybody's guess.

The 205 tires are rated to carry 660 pounds less weight than the proper 225 size. Still, that leaves you a capacity of 5424 lbs, which leaves a margin above the 4774 lbs GVWR stated by M-B.

I wouldn't do it. Too many unknowns and variables to deal with just to save a few bucks.

Last edited by khaug; 07-27-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Gas Sedan
I agree. I have decided to sell the 205 tires and rims and start all over again. Anyone interested in 4 brand new never opened Dunlop M3 snow tires and rims?

I will offer these officially in a few weeks to interested buyers - its only July so I assume no one needs any snow tires yet

thank you for your input khaug
Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 PM

'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
Thanks for the info X72. I was told by Luke from the Tire Rack that 16" wheels won't fit on the E500. I don't know why yet, but I suspect it to be clearance of the brakes.

Thanks for the tip about Ernies. I'll contact them to see what 17" wheels they have. I've been partial to Bridgestone Blizzak's and Michelin Artic Alpin's but I'll consider the Dunlop's on your advice.

Cable chains are a must when driving in Vermont in snow. I should have opted for a 4Matic, but I've never been let down by rear wheel drive, snows and traction control yet.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by kentom
Well, the rule of thumb is to go one size down from stock (ie 16-->15") and slightly narrower tread (225-->205), but judging from the Tire Rack's website, those size tires aren't an option they offer. I guess you made the right choice after all to sell.

In the future, you may want to check with Tire Rack to see what sizes will fit your car. For the best snow performance, I think generally taller sidewalls, narrower treads, and smaller diameter tires are best, especially if mounted on steelies. However, if you're in an area that doesn't see snow all the time and, in fact, sees a lot more dry conditions than snowy conditions in the winter, I'd probably get wider treads, like from a performance snow tire. Personally, I'll likely get 225 17", even though I have the option of 205 17" and even 205 16". I'm in the Baltimore area, though, so we don't actually see all that much snow most of the time...
Old 07-28-2004, 09:11 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Sorry I missed the point about the Sport model and possible brake clearance issues, Alfa Fan.

Tirerack.com has lots of comments from people who write in about their experience with tires, which I found to be helpful when looking for a performance snow tire. They also have some comparison tests, which I believe rate the Bridgestone Blizzak and the Michelin Artic Alpin to be superior to the Dunlops for ultimate ice traction. I did a lot of dry weather driving, so that is why I picked the Dunlops.

Tirerack.com doesn't sell Nokian tires, which lots of people swear by and might be worth a look for you since there is probably a dealer near you (http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires.cfm). I have no direct personal experience with Nokian tires; I am just going on what I have seen online on other automobile related message boards.

Ebay is a good resource, as I have seen OEM 17 inch rims there for the W211. Remember that a not insubstantial percentage of people who buy Mercedes in the sun belt like getting an 18" or larger tire/rim combo, which means that you can pick up a beautiful set of 17" OEM rims for the same price as what you would pay for aftermarket rims. I suggest you look on Ebay and see what OEM rims are available. Typing in "OEM" as part of your Ebay search will help focus your search.

William 2003 E 320, 37k miles
Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
In most parts of the country, snow is an occasional issue in the winter. Maybe 5 days in NY. 10 in Mass. However cold temperatures and frozen road surfaces are much more common. So a cold weather tire is desirable for a long period.

First rule: an H rated tire, preferably in the stock tire size. The Dunlop Wintersport M2 is an excellent example. These tires will retain most of the the handling, low noise level, and ride comfort of the standard tires. I believe they handle and ride better than Conti Touring Contacts.

Second suggestion: Just have the tires mounted an balanced on the stock rims. Costco charges $10 a tire in NJ. So for $80/year you get your tires mounted and balanced twice per year. That is good for tire maintenance.

If you are driving in the Alps or Rockies with your 4Matic and snow and ice is a problem 10 months per year, than the more aggressive tires may be preferrable. However, I would expect you are in an SUV with enough ground clearance to go over the snow and not a 4-door sedan.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Winter Tires

I agree with you DavidNJ. Here in NW Ohio, the roads are usually dry after they've salted the heck out of them. I went with the Dunlop M2's on my 540i and they work great without giving much up on those winter days when the roads are dry. However, I do like having my winter tires on separate rims. I can change tires in 20 minutes in my garage without having to wait in line somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:21 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
I agree with the Radiologist, above. It's really nice to have snows mounted on a set of wheels.

Our current daily driver, a BMW 528i, has had a set of snows since new. They're mounted on four Mille Miglia alloy wheels, which cost c. $110 ea. from the Tire Rack. After four winters, the wheels still look new, which would not have been true of steel wheels here in the Rust Belt.

When our CDI is here, it, too, will have a set of snows on inexpensive alloys.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:14 AM

Smile

I've always had snows mounted on rims because of the convinience of being able to change them when I want in 30 minutes. Besides, I'm the only one that will torque them to the proper specs (I hate trying to loosen the nuts after someone with a over-active air gun makes sure the wheels won't fall off).

I agree that snows are most useful because of cold weather and icey roads rather than in snow. Actual snow driving is secondary because of the ubiquitous use of salt in the northeast. The ContiContact2's that come standard are summer tires and are not very effective when the temperature gets below freezing. This is where the winter tires shine.

I will try to get either anoter set of inexpesnive wheels from the tire rack or a set of OEM's from ebay. Either way, I am a firm believer in dedicated seasonal tires.

PS This has been my first post on the MB Forum and I am very impressed with all the helpful feedback I've received. Thanks for everyone's interest.

'03 E 500
'01 BMW 525iT
'90 Porsche C2 Cab
'66 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT
Old 07-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Gas Sedan
Alfa,
If you are interested in a set of wheels and tires I have a set brand new that I was supposed to use on my c240 but has since traded it in. The size is 205/55-15 and the tires are dunlop m3's I don't know if that is the size you are looking for but I can give to you for a good price. Thanks