E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lost audio on PDA plugged into AUX jack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C 300 Luxury, Black/Black, Multimedia, iPod Integration
Lost audio on PDA plugged into AUX jack

I lost the audio capability of my GARMIN CF-Q 1620/Dell Axim X5 (GPS device) several times during a two day trip from Indianapolis to Hilton Head Island. It would usually occur as the unit powered down while we were out of the car. A soft reset of the X5 was required to regain audio capabilities of any kind on the Axim. The audio out of the X5 was always plugged into the audio "AUX" jack in the glovebox of the 2004 E320 mercedes when the problem occurred. It never occurred when the audio cable was not plugged into the car audio system.

Power was always being provided by the front ashtray 12V jack which is turned off with the ignition. Possibly a ground loop problem through the audio and power cables?

Mike - K9JRI
Old 08-15-2004, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by K9JRI
Power was always being provided by the front ashtray 12V jack which is turned off with the ignition. Possibly a ground loop problem through the audio and power cables?
Possibly a ground loop "problem" but there is no guarantee that audio and power grounds are both "grounds". Audio is generally a common, not a ground. In the past, the common would be ground... same with the speaker outputs... these days it should not be assumed. If your equipment is expecting this, it's not very well designed.

I would suspect something else, but I don't yet know what it would be.

-s-