E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Spoiler install: tape, glue or both

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Steel Gray E350 4Matic1966 Shelby Cobra Replica, 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Wrangler JKU
So I just ordered an eBay trunk spoiler someone on this forum recommended in #755 Steel Gray M. I've read through this thread a number of times and I'd like to summarize below. I'm much more a visual person but I have not seen any pics of the process, specifically the silicone application.

1. The key to a good spoiler application is to make sure the trunk surface is clean. Use alcohol to clean the trunk surface and the spoiler surface.

2. A properly contoured spoiler that matches the trunk line is key and hit or miss from the manufacturer.

3. From the factory the spoiler is tapped NOT glued. 3M VHB is the correct tape.

4. Some have had great success with just using 3M VHB and taping down the the ends and entire spoiler every 10 inches.

5. Some have used silicone on the edge of the rear of the spoiler and used the same taping procedure along with possibly masking the body for overflow of silicone. (I'd love to see a pic of this).

6. Heat seems to be a good thing for application. Heat up the tape, spoiler and trunk edge prior to application.

7. Let the spoiler sit for 24/48 hrs. taped down after application.

Please let me know if this all makes sense and is accurate. TIA.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
was wondering how it's done at the factory..........it is bolted on right?
I didn't mean to be so condescending when I mentioned my dislike for a 'taped'
on spoiler on the Canadian thread, it's just that doesn't seem as durable to me....
The factory spoiler used 3M double sides tape. The don't used bolts or screws.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM

2008 G6 Convert
Glue or replace

Have a 2008 GTP G^ convertible, the rear spoiler has been, "spoiled" by someone who thought it ok put their luggage on my trunk at an airport parking ramp.
The plastic where the screws are mounted to the spoiler have broken from the spoiler. SInce I don't want to spend upwards of $1000 to replace this accessory, would it be recommended to just glue the spoiler onto the trunk? The LED works just fine.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by Rain Sux
Have a 2008 GTP G^ convertible, the rear spoiler has been, "spoiled" by someone who thought it ok put their luggage on my trunk at an airport parking ramp.
The plastic where the screws are mounted to the spoiler have broken from the spoiler. SInce I don't want to spend upwards of $1000 to replace this accessory, would it be recommended to just glue the spoiler onto the trunk? The LED works just fine.
Ah man, that sucks. You could try and have the spoiler repaired maybe?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'84 Euro SEC '85 Euro 200T
Couldn't find 3M tape so I just used masking tape.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM

2012 c63
Perfect Instructions!

Originally Posted by 428street
So I just ordered an eBay trunk spoiler someone on this forum recommended in #755 Steel Gray M. I've read through this thread a number of times and I'd like to summarize below. I'm much more a visual person but I have not seen any pics of the process, specifically the silicone application.

1. The key to a good spoiler application is to make sure the trunk surface is clean. Use alcohol to clean the trunk surface and the spoiler surface.

2. A properly contoured spoiler that matches the trunk line is key and hit or miss from the manufacturer.

3. From the factory the spoiler is tapped NOT glued. 3M VHB is the correct tape.

4. Some have had great success with just using 3M VHB and taping down the the ends and entire spoiler every 10 inches.

5. Some have used silicone on the edge of the rear of the spoiler and used the same taping procedure along with possibly masking the body for overflow of silicone. (I'd love to see a pic of this).

6. Heat seems to be a good thing for application. Heat up the tape, spoiler and trunk edge prior to application.

7. Let the spoiler sit for 24/48 hrs. taped down after application.

Please let me know if this all makes sense and is accurate. TIA.

428Street (and others who contributed to this thread) - these were perfect instructions! I replaced the white spoiler of my c63 today with a carbon fiber spoiler. All in all, took me about an hour, maybe a little longer since I was taking my time

Before (with white spoiler):

With white spoiler

During (spoiler removed and cleaned up) - NOTE: To remove the residue, I used the "3M™ Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4 in x 5/8 in with Mandrel (3m 7498)" and it cleaned things up *perfectly*. I used rubbing alcohol to prepare the surface of both the trunk lid, and the spoiler. I used "3M 1/2" x 15 ft VHB Double Sided Foam Adhesive Tape 5952 Automotive Mounting" as my tape and it's sticky as heck!

After

Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM

2011 E550
3m tape and you're good. Just prep before sticking.

On edit: saw you already did it. Looks good!