E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2011 E350 Exploding Sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by 220S
That's pretty much the gist of the hypothesis. The breakage occurs while in motion and at relatively high speeds. There's more pressure exerted on the sunroof and more lift, as the physicist implied.
Then the physicist's reasoning may be the trigger versus the cause. Obviously external forces will manifest imperfections in glass much sooner, especially in this case. I just don't see these forces breaking the glass alone. There has to be something "wrong". Tempered glass is renowned for it's strength and flexibility in many application where the pressures and temperatures far exceed those placed on the same glass in a sunroof application.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Tempered glass is renowned for it's strength and flexibility in many application where the pressures and temperatures far exceed those placed on the same glass in a sunroof application.
I suppose there's a quality of glass variable, too. PPG says that 1 in 1000 auto glass failures is acceptable due to NiS inclusion. And glass furnaces do crank out a lot of glass daily. But in more critical usage, maybe the screening of Ni contaminants is more robust.

Who knows...
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by 220S
I suppose there's a quality of glass variable, too. PPG says that 1 in 1000 auto glass failures is acceptable due to NiS inclusion. And glass furnaces do crank out a lot of glass daily. But in more critical usage, maybe the screening of Ni contaminants is more robust.

Who knows...
Good point. Maybe there like well this glass is Aerospace quality and the next run of glass may be of a lower grade with a higher % of inclusions which may be good for sunroofs in Mercedes, lol. I bet there's a lot of truth to that though. Different grades of glass based on the level of contamination.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
OH COME ON! would you too get a lab or something!!

lol, I joke...........
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350
Just to let everyone know, I got the car back today. While it was still a little dirty, they had replaced the roof and removed all of the glass pieces. All that was required of me was my signature. The SA said that it was not covered by the warranty but that it was a goodwill repair. Thanks everyone for your concerns/well wishes.

RRS
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by raymmer
Just to let everyone know, I got the car back today. While it was still a little dirty, they had replaced the roof and removed all of the glass pieces. All that was required of me was my signature. The SA said that it was not covered by the warranty but that it was a goodwill repair. Thanks everyone for your concerns/well wishes.

RRS
Glad it all worked out but why wasn't it covered?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
good will???? LOL.........
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM

2012 GLK 350
Sunroof Exploded

Driving into work today, I heard an explosion. My pano roof exploded!! Again, as the fella previous to me, I had the sun shade closed and the glass stayed in place. It had rained the night before and then froze during the night. I am pissed that this is not covered under waranty as I have had this vehicle three months. The closest MB dealer is a seven hour drive, so waiting for a phone call back from MB Dealer on what to do next.... Grrrrr.....
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by shagg
Driving into work today, I heard an explosion. My pano roof exploded!! Again, as the fella previous to me, I had the sun shade closed and the glass stayed in place. It had rained the night before and then froze during the night. I am pissed that this is not covered under waranty as I have had this vehicle three months. The closest MB dealer is a seven hour drive, so waiting for a phone call back from MB Dealer on what to do next.... Grrrrr.....
If your car is still covered by warranty, your sunroof should be as well. I would not accept 'NO' from your dealer. Insist on meeting the Dealer Principal or the General Manager of your MB dealership and do not leave that meeting until you have a successful resolution. Be polite but firm !

As you may have read above, these types of incidents do unfortunately occur with all makes of cars, but that is no reason for MB to deny its responsibility to make your car good.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
If mercedes didn't cover the cost, your insurance policy would have covered it under glass breakage...subject perhaps to a deductible (but almost significantly smaller than your overall deductible).
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 AM

2012 GLK 350
Little Comfort

Well, phoned Mercedes and they will not consider it to be a warranty issue, but a glass issue, which is covered under insurance and a $300 deductible, which they will not pay. They said it was probably struck by an object. Funny, how I was alone on a four lane highway with no traffic or overpasses for miles....

Being seven hours to the nearest Mercedes dealership, I have now dropped off my vehicle at an local autobody shop, and they estimate that I will have my car back in TWO weeks, as there are no parts in this area...

Great... I have to pay the deductible and no car for two weeks, all for a f'en sunroof that exploded... I am having buyers remorse....

Oh, and a final note.... the check engine light came on today!

I need a scotch....
Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Well, phoned Mercedes and they will not consider it to be a warranty issue, but a glass issue, which is covered under insurance and a $300 deductible, which they will not pay. They said it was probably struck by an object. Funny, how I was alone on a four lane highway with no traffic or overpasses for miles....

Being seven hours to the nearest Mercedes dealership, I have now dropped off my vehicle at an local autobody shop, and they estimate that I will have my car back in TWO weeks, as there are no parts in this area...

Great... I have to pay the deductible and no car for two weeks, all for a f'en sunroof that exploded... I am having buyers remorse....

I need a scotch....
Welcome,
I would like to see your positive messages to express your satisfaction rather than read such a disaster happened on your cute GLK
Check out X204 Forums about engine light , you may also have AdBlue warning if your engine is a diesel one , if gas powered please don't take this part of the message into consideration
As regretful as you're I believe you will become a happy camper at the end of the story
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

You say your pano roof exploded. Was this the opening part of the roof or was this the whole glass part of the roof?

Also, you say the glass stayed in place. If all glass is in place it is easy to see if there was something that hit it. Have it inspected to see if there is any sign of anything hitting it as it leaves a clear spot if a rock or something hard hit and broke it.

It is a known issue that sometimes sunroof glass break from build-in material tensions, which is material manufacturing issue and as such is repaired under warranty.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

I need a scotch....

Guess my previous post came late as you have dropped off your car at the shop already but if they say they keep it for two weeks the glass could still be in place if it still was in place and perhaps they could inspect it for a rock hit for you.

Your dealer might also agree and let your local shop to do the repair on it too as it is so far for them to come and fix it. They would just send the new parts to the shop doing the job.

Has your insurance company looked at it?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM

GLK350 2014
shattered sunroof

The same thing happened to my GLK350 2014. I was driving like at 55mph and all of the sudden i heard an explosion in my SUV and I stopped to see if anything hit the car but the only thing broken was the sunroof which was completely shattered for no apparent reason.
I went to the Mercedes dealer and the service adviser could not see anything that can point him that it was an external object that broke the sunroof.
I will let you know if it went under warranty.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Reading this reminds me that there are some very smart people on this forum. Regretfully, I cannot include myself.

220S, it's nice to read you again. It's been some time. Maybe MB has car that will strike your fancy soon and we will see you back full time.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 Wagon (Sport)
I heard about this happening to a Passat before I traded up to Mercedes...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nroof-Exploded