E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

So I'm really, really contemplating a diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
In over 20K miles I have not added more than about 9 gallons. Depends on your driving style.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ImInPA
In over 20K miles I have not added more than about 9 gallons. Depends on your driving style.
A question for those who have refilled their bluetec tank. Do just watch the level as you fill it with a flexible spout and stop pouring when it gets near the top.....or is there some trick to avoid spilling the fluid which apparently can cause a mess.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SL and 2011 E350 Diesel
I understand the fluid is very corrosive. I put a rag around the filler neck. I put a rag on the outside of the tank over where I held the 2.5 gallon container. One thing I didn't do but I will next time is put a dip stick in the tank before I fill it to see the fluid level. I definately don't want to overfill the tank. I also listened for the fluid level rising. I was in dead silence in my garage.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by CEB
My regular commute is about 30 miles in the greater DC area. In the morning it takes about 45minutes and the evening commute is about an hour and a half. About twice a week I go to a remote office about 70 miles away during non rush hours on a divided highway.

Because I have MD plates on my car I generally need to set the cruise to 4mph over when driving that particular route, so about 59mph.

The main reason I')d be looking at the diesel is the gas mileage. It would be a no brainer in Europe but here in the US the diesel prices make you think twice.
CEB: I live in Springfield and drive to DC (Chinatown) every day. Yesterday I leased a 2011 E350 Bluetec and I'm extremely happy so far. My commutes is about 18 miles each way every day mostly on 395's HOV. This morning I checked the trip computer and it showed 29 MPG which I think is great!
As a side note, I got the car from Euro Motor Cars and the process was extremely easy and they still have 2 left in stock (1 with the old COMAND/dash and 1 with the new one). Let me know if you have any questions and take advantage of the crazy residual values for leases (24 months) and incentives. Go for it!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ghstudio
A question for those who have refilled their bluetec tank. Do just watch the level as you fill it with a flexible spout and stop pouring when it gets near the top.....or is there some trick to avoid spilling the fluid which apparently can cause a mess.
You can actually hear it once it reaches the neck of the fill spout. Very simple. You can also visibly see the level once you are getting close to full. If you are worried about using the big jugs with the filler spout, you can get the .5 gallon jugs that have the AdBlue screw-on spout. Very nice. I keep a couple of them in my trunk near the tank. Just in case.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by amiras
CEB: I live in Springfield and drive to DC (Chinatown) every day. Yesterday I leased a 2011 E350 Bluetec and I'm extremely happy so far. My commutes is about 18 miles each way every day mostly on 395's HOV. This morning I checked the trip computer and it showed 29 MPG which I think is great!
As a side note, I got the car from Euro Motor Cars and the process was extremely easy and they still have 2 left in stock (1 with the old COMAND/dash and 1 with the new one). Let me know if you have any questions and take advantage of the crazy residual values for leases (24 months) and incentives. Go for it!
Yep. I'm talking to EuroMotorcars too - but the one in Germantown. Who is your salesperson at Bethesda (I assume you went there.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by CEB
Yep. I'm talking to EuroMotorcars too - but the one in Germantown. Who is your salesperson at Bethesda (I assume you went there.
Call John Johnston. Do you qualify for the conquest cash? I did (X5) and got almost 10K off MSRP. I also did the MSD's and autopay to reduce the money factor. The one in Bethesda have 2 left. One has the old (59.7k) and one has the new (56.2k) COMAND and dashboard. Let me know if you need more info.
Good luck!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM

2017 S550 cabrio
Originally Posted by ImInPA
You can actually hear it once it reaches the neck of the fill spout. Very simple. You can also visibly see the level once you are getting close to full. If you are worried about using the big jugs with the filler spout, you can get the .5 gallon jugs that have the AdBlue screw-on spout. Very nice. I keep a couple of them in my trunk near the tank. Just in case.
Aren't we supposed to have the tank evacuated every 20,000 miles because of crystals? Do you plan on having that done? DIY? Ignore it?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amiras
Call John Johnston. Do you qualify for the conquest cash? I did (X5) and got almost 10K off MSRP. I also did the MSD's and autopay to reduce the money factor. The one in Bethesda have 2 left. One has the old (59.7k) and one has the new (56.2k) COMAND and dashboard. Let me know if you need more info.
Good luck!
Thanks! I'll contact John. Yep, I qualify for conquest cash.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by cvinfig
Aren't we supposed to have the tank evacuated every 20,000 miles because of crystals? Do you plan on having that done? DIY? Ignore it?
Ah the beauties of having a 24 month lease and mercedes maintainance prepaid
Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Ditto!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 PM

E350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by CEB
What are the opinions for that as a daily driver? Enough power for a quick merge on a freeway? Decent in snow with the correct tires?

Any downsides? I'm figuring that the torque makes up for lack of horsepower in normal driving.

I haven't owned a diesel in about 30 years and I figure they've probably changed a bit.
You are correct that diesels have changed - and for the most part for the better (the downside of the changes is that the additional electronics may make the engines less reliable over the very long term compared to the 300.000 km life expectancy you might have seen then).

I helped launch The Diesel Driver magazine almost two years ago because I believe in the concept (compared to hybrids and petrol). We have three diesels here, a BMW 335d, a Volkswagen Jetta, and a MB E350 BlueTec.

I picked up the 335d at the BMW Welt in Dec. 2009 and was the primary driver for 18 months. It is (as listerone noted) a fun car to drive, very different in character from the E-Klasse. But just as I enjoyed driving my 335d around Lime Rock, I still plan to do the same with the E-Klasse.

I only have 1289 km on it as of today but most of the 1200 km were on well-built Autobahnen driving at speeds ranging from 130 to 200 km/h. The car was rock solid at high speed but it was also responsive in twisties.

I've driven almost every diesel auto on the market in the U.S. (with minor exceptions, I haven't driven the R-Klasse but I have driven everything else) and I would without hesitation pick any one of those over a gasoline-powered vehicle.

I hope this info is helpful as you contemplate your next (diesel) vehicle.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jspira
You are correct that diesels have changed - and for the most part for the better (the downside of the changes is that the additional electronics may make the engines less reliable over the very long term compared to the 300.000 km life expectancy you might have seen then).

I helped launch The Diesel Driver magazine almost two years ago because I believe in the concept (compared to hybrids and petrol). We have three diesels here, a BMW 335d, a Volkswagen Jetta, and a MB E350 BlueTec.

I picked up the 335d at the BMW Welt in Dec. 2009 and was the primary driver for 18 months. It is (as listerone noted) a fun car to drive, very different in character from the E-Klasse. But just as I enjoyed driving my 335d around Lime Rock, I still plan to do the same with the E-Klasse.

I only have 1289 km on it as of today but most of the 1200 km were on well-built Autobahnen driving at speeds ranging from 130 to 200 km/h. The car was rock solid at high speed but it was also responsive in twisties.

I've driven almost every diesel auto on the market in the U.S. (with minor exceptions, I haven't driven the R-Klasse but I have driven everything else) and I would without hesitation pick any one of those over a gasoline-powered vehicle.

I hope this info is helpful as you contemplate your next (diesel) vehicle.
Danke. I am still tossing around the idea of a 335d as well.While I'd like a slightly larger car for over-the-road trips, there is that advantage about the devil you know. A local dealer has a nicely optioned M-sport 335d in Space Gray for a good price. It seems that 335d's have stopped selling and I can't seem to find a MB with P2 and Parktronic.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The crystals form when the tank is allowed to run down slowly. By keeping the tank topped off, crystal formation is virtually eliminated.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 AM

E350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by CEB
Danke. I am still tossing around the idea of a 335d as well.While I'd like a slightly larger car for over-the-road trips, there is that advantage about the devil you know. A local dealer has a nicely optioned M-sport 335d in Space Gray for a good price. It seems that 335d's have stopped selling and I can't seem to find a MB with P2 and Parktronic.
The 335d is no longer in production so you can't order one.

The E-Klasse can be ordered - and you can do European Delivery if you want (for some European Delivery pictures see my article here).

Keep in mind that the 335d is essentially still a 2005 design (I picked up my first E90 3er in Nov. 2005 in Munich) - and some of the technology that is in newer BMWs is not available in it (blind spot detection, lane departure warning, newer digital display in center of dash) while the E-Klasse is a year or two old.

Both are great cars. Get one of each.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe so. I just had my 20K service done. They noted that my AdBlue tank was full on my service ticket. They did not do that service. I have heard some MB dealers are doing them and that some are saying it is not important unless the tank is very low.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jspira
The 335d is no longer in production so you can't order one.

The E-Klasse can be ordered - and you can do European Delivery if you want (for some European Delivery pictures see my article here).

Keep in mind that the 335d is essentially still a 2005 design (I picked up my first E90 3er in Nov. 2005 in Munich) - and some of the technology that is in newer BMWs is not available in it (blind spot detection, lane departure warning, newer digital display in center of dash) while the E-Klasse is a year or two old.

Both are great cars. Get one of each.
Great idea, will you buy me one of each dad?

I was trying to get a deal by buying an '11 off the lot. MD is one of those "pay sales tax only on the difference" states, so it generally makes sense to trade in a car (or sell it privately for significantly more.) That's not really feasible on ED.

You do make good points on the older technology and this morning I've found a 'small SD card' (ie newer COMAND) diesel E350 semi-locally that has both options I'm looking for, but it has MB-Taxi instead of leather. It likely makes little difference but after equating with MB-tex with taxis for a zillion years in Europe makes the mental transition difficult.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by CEB
You do make good points on the older technology and this morning I've found a 'small SD card' (ie newer COMAND) diesel E350 semi-locally that has both options I'm looking for...
One quick point...if the SD card feature is at all important to you be aware that the BMW can play from SD cards as well if it has a particular option (can't recall the option name or code).Mine had the option and it was great being able to play my MP3's that way.To check if the option is on the vehicle check the center armrest compartment (not the glovebox...different feature) and if you see a USB port in addition to the 3.5mm jack port then you're good to go.Otherwise...no.

Like I said,pay no attention to any salesman who mentions a USB port in the glovebox...that's an entirely different feature.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'm conflicted on this point myself.When they first introduced their diesels here BMW's policy was to drain,"flush" and refill the DEF tank at each yearly "free" maintence visit.Then,just as I was trading,I read somewhere (probably on a BMW enthusiast site) that they had changed that policy.I don't recall ever having read what MB's official position is...that is,what they do with cars under their prepaid maintence plan.

Worries...worries...worries!

Last edited by listerone; 10-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM

E350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by CEB
I was trying to get a deal by buying an '11 off the lot. MD is one of those "pay sales tax only on the difference" states, so it generally makes sense to trade in a car (or sell it privately for significantly more.) That's not really feasible on ED.
People do do trade-ins with E.D. but I can't say for sure what the mechanism is. I would imagine the dealership could answer the question better but in principal, the trade-in amount is agreed upon at the time of contract, allowing for additional mileage based on on the expected redelivery date.

Originally Posted by CEB

You do make good points on the older technology and this morning I've found a 'small SD card' (ie newer COMAND) diesel E350 semi-locally that has both options I'm looking for, but it has MB-Taxi instead of leather. It likely makes little difference but after equating with MB-tex with taxis for a zillion years in Europe makes the mental transition difficult.
Ja, when I was little, I thought Mercedes just made taxis.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:23 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
One quick point...if the SD card feature is at all important to you be aware that the BMW can play from SD cards as well if it has a particular option (can't recall the option name or code).Mine had the option and it was great being able to play my MP3's that way.To check if the option is on the vehicle check the center armrest compartment (not the glovebox...different feature) and if you see a USB port in addition to the 3.5mm jack port then you're good to go.Otherwise...no.

Like I said,pay no attention to any salesman who mentions a USB port in the glovebox...that's an entirely different feature.
The SD slotisn't really important but I mentioned it to indicate that the car had the 'new' COMAND with the color display, the SD slot and the iPod in the armrest.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM

E350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by CEB
The SD slotisn't really important but I mentioned it to indicate that the car had the 'new' COMAND with the color display, the SD slot and the iPod in the armrest.
I assumed that's what you meant. And you definitely should get a car with COMAND 4.5!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by CEB
I believe the pluses with the new instrument panel/dash and comand 4.5 are better display, new navigate by "zip code" or "intersection", sirius weather capability (in the US)...that's all I've found so far.

Comand 4.5 works well with the iphone 4 loading contacts, but I have problems with my verizon iphone 4 which sometimes rings and I can't answer the call with the car. I haven't isolated this yet to make it repeatable enough to report it to the dealer, but it's happened about 5 times now and it's getting annoying. It could be iphone code or could be bluetooth code in comand 4.5.

And yes, the connection cables/plugs are in the center console, but the iphone cable is too short to keep the iphone out of the center console, so I run mine on a thin 2' USB to iphone cord (ebay) which allows me to keep the phone in the cup holders (which I need to do since sometimes the phone rings and I can't pick it up, etc).

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 AM

2009 CLS550
Use an Extension Cable

And yes, the connection cables/plugs are in the center console, but the iphone cable is too short to keep the iphone out of the center console, ...
I bought a 1 meter iPhone "Dock extension cable" on ebay for about $10USD that allows me to use a windshield suction mount for my iPhone4. Works great, and the cable is thin enough to permit the glove box door to close. Also allows me to check Email at rest stops while music is still playing. Very handy.

Last edited by NJSailRacer; 10-08-2011 at 09:04 AM.