E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E and S Mode;safe to change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 W212
E and S Mode;safe to change?

Should this only be changed when in PARK? Or once the car is at a standtill(eg in HOLD).

Also, any danger from only driving my car in S?

I am having an issue where when driving with E; it goes very slow then jerks and goes too fast. I;m chalking it up to it starting off in 2nd gear whie in Elegance mode.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I don't know about the rest of the crew but I don't change them while in motion, but do at a standstill......while in park or in drive....
don't know if it makes a difference but it makes me feel better hehe....
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550
I changed it it all the time..in motion. I drive it in S most of the time. Eats a bit more gas though. hehe
If changing it in motion was an issue, they wouldn't make it that easy for us to change it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by hiddenagenda
Should this only be changed when in PARK? Or once the car is at a standtill(eg in HOLD).

I am having an issue where when driving with E; it goes very slow then jerks and goes too fast. I;m chalking it up to it starting off in 2nd gear whie in Elegance mode.
You can safely change it while the car is in motion. From a mechanical standpoint you can not do any damage to the car. I personally switch from E to S when entering the highway and S to E when coming off it. Been doing it for years in all my MBs; never had an issue. Also driving in S all the time does no harm either.

As for the jerking in E; try resetting your transmission (search the board; saw it here recently) and see if it continues to keep happening. If it does you might need an update because what you have described is not normal.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
According to my manual its supposed to be done in park. However I wouldn't be concerned doing it while moving. It's an electronic process, if it causes real harm it would lock you out from doing it I would like to think. Though that logic doesn't apply to everything in life of course...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
According to my manual its supposed to be done in park. However I wouldn't be concerned doing it while moving. It's an electronic process, if it causes real harm it would lock you out from doing it I would like to think. Though that logic doesn't apply to everything in life of course...
When I first read that, I took it as: "if you want to start out in 1st, put it in park first", then I noticed that when I'm stopped at a light, and hit "S", I feel the transmission shift into first, so I just thought the book was incorrect
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
It's the same function as the older W210 era S/W (Summer/Winter) switch.

It was C/S (Comfort/Sport) when they first launch the 7G-tronic.
Now it's call E/S (Econ/Sport) going with the whole Blue Efficiency theme.

If your car is going forward then you can switch on the fly.
However when you are in a full stop, then it's better to do it in P or N because it changes the logic of starting in 2nd gear or 2nd Reverse Gear.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by instantfob
It's the same function as the older W210 era S/W (Summer/Winter) switch.

It was C/S (Comfort/Sport) when they first launch the 7G-tronic.
Now it's call E/S (Econ/Sport) going with the whole Blue Efficiency theme.

If your car is going forward then you can switch on the fly.
However when you are in a full stop, then it's better to do it in P or N because it changes the logic of starting in 2nd gear or 2nd Reverse Gear.
There's a 2nd reverse gear?!!! I've been wondering why this car backs up so sluggishly! . Seriously, could you explain more what c
"changes the logic" means? I think I understand, but maybe not. TIA
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)

You are over analyzing this. I switch from E to S over a dozen times in a single drive at any given instant. The car was built to withstand mechanical and electronic situations harsher than you can put it on for your daily driving.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450

I didn't read your original post until just now. Is it really slow or not at all? I posted about this for my car, but read at least to where I describe the difference between the problem I had vs starting in 2nd.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...re-update.html
Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The manual tells me not to switch them while driving, and it's not an inconvenience, so I listen to he manual. These tranny's are so damn expensive to replace, I wouldn't screw around with it for a second.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
looks like that's TWO for NO
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
The manual tells me not to switch them while driving, and it's not an inconvenience, so I listen to he manual. These tranny's are so damn expensive to replace, I wouldn't screw around with it for a second.
KA, where are you finding this in the owner's manual? I see on pg 150, a restriction for AMG vehicles (program C -> S/S+/M/RS to change when the vehicle is stationary), but not for the non-AMG. It just says: "Press program selector button (1) repeatedly until the letter for the desired gearshift program appears in the multifunction display." Dunno, maybe I have an outdated manual???
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by thekurgan
KA, where are you finding this in the owner's manual? I see on pg 150, a restriction for AMG vehicles (program C -> S/S+/M/RS to change when the vehicle is stationary), but not for the non-AMG. It just says: "Press program selector button (1) repeatedly until the letter for the desired gearshift program appears in the multifunction display." Dunno, maybe I have an outdated manual???
I asked same question for my Daimler and tech guys told me it was safe to switch while moving
Being a more modern tranny in MB 7 geartronic it should be safe in logic but I don't think I will be messing up with these when I drive lol

Hey, you can download the latest manual thru MB USA site, I did it
Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Actually I never read it myself in the manual, but the phrase was repeated here quite a few times by members straight from the manual that it shouldn't be switched while driving, so I preached that as gospel. Were they wrong? If the manual says it's ok to switch it while driving, then of course I'd do it, I just wouldn't mess with it if the manual says not to. Not worth it.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Seems to be a bit of confusion among members posting here.

Here's when it's not OK: Vehicles equipped with the "Dynamic Handling Package" have three driving program choices: Economy, Sport, Manual. I don't know if the name is the same or if it is even available in the W211 as it is in the C/A207, but if you have an "M" button selection in addition to E and S, you have the package.

On vehicles equipped as such, drivers are warned to have the vehicle stationary when changing from either Economy or Sport to Manual.

When only changing between Economy and Sport, there is no requirement to have the vehicle stationary, whether or not you have the Dynamic Handling Package.
In simple terms, Paxfobiscum is correct: It is OK!

For the past two months I have been changing between E and S at will and have suffered no ill consequences. In fact, the flexibility makes driving even more fun.

I've found that using S around town in stop and go or suburban traffic, thereby starting from each stop in first gear, gives the car a more responsive feeling of quickness. In addition, stops on upward slopes require less use of the Hold feature when the trans. is idling in first.

Switching to E on the open road, thereby being able to drive in seventh gear, makes the car feel smoother or more rolling-resistance free, although not a huge difference.

And of course each program has its different shift point characteristics that help contribute to an appropriately enhanced driving experience.

Others may choose to use the E/S programs differently. Whatever you like. It's all good.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 04-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by K-A
Actually I never read it myself in the manual, but the phrase was repeated here quite a few times by members straight from the manual that it shouldn't be switched while driving, so I preached that as gospel. Were they wrong? If the manual says it's ok to switch it while driving, then of course I'd do it, I just wouldn't mess with it if the manual says not to. Not worth it.
You can do it. I have done it over a hundred times in the three months I have owned this car. I do it everyday all the time. Two dealers have told me you could do it.

IT IS OK!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Wait, the tranny shifts to 7th gear in "S" as well right?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A

Yes.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
With my car, driving around town in S mode, the car settles out in 6th gear. If while driving in 6th I switch to E mode, I can feel/hear the trans. shift up to 7th. Holding in 6th helps contribute to the more lively feeling of responsiveness I experience in S mode at moderate speeds.

I have not tried S mode yet at high speeds - didn't see the need - but based on Arrie's comment I will, to see if S mode makes it up to 7th on its own. I have just automatically been driving in E mode on the open highway. Thanks for the tip.

Perhaps in S mode - either around town or on the highway - it just takes longer/higher speeds for the trans. to upshift to 7th??

Anyway, per the original thread query, feel free to switch from S to E and back anytime at will. I have yet to see any pieces of the trans. in my rear-view mirror.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol.

Yeah I try and put it in E on the highways in the case that it would sacrifice MPG, but I didn't nor don't expect or hope for S mode to keep it in 6th and not go to 7th. Holding the lower gears, yes, but it's gotta shift into 7th eventually I'm sure.

I used to like driving in E mode, however now can only drive in S. My E350 feels quite light and peppy in S mode, more-so than my previous E350's, and it gives a nice balanced feel while driving. E mode can be a tad too sluggish coming out of 2nd gear.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Seems to be a bit of confusion among members posting here.

Here's when it's not OK: Vehicles equipped with the "Dynamic Handling Package" have three driving program choices: Economy, Sport, Manual. I don't know if the name is the same or if it is even available in the W211 as it is in the C/A207, but if you have an "M" button selection in addition to E and S, you have the package.

On vehicles equipped as such, drivers are warned to have the vehicle stationary when changing from either Economy or Sport to Manual.

When only changing between Economy and Sport, there is no requirement to have the vehicle stationary, whether or not you have the Dynamic Handling Package.
In simple terms, Paxfobiscum is correct: It is OK!

For the past two months I have been changing between E and S at will and have suffered no ill consequences. In fact, the flexibility makes driving even more fun.

I've found that using S around town in stop and go or suburban traffic, thereby starting from each stop in first gear, gives the car a more responsive feeling of quickness. In addition, stops on upward slopes require less use of the Hold feature when the trans. is idling in first.

Switching to E on the open road, thereby being able to drive in seventh gear, makes the car feel smoother or more rolling-resistance free, although not a huge difference.

And of course each program has its different shift point characteristics that help contribute to an appropriately enhanced driving experience.

Others may choose to use the E/S programs differently. Whatever you like. It's all good.

Awesome info, BenzMan369! I have to add that I've been switching "dynamically" w/ no noticeable problems. I agree w/ a previous post in that if the manufacturer didn't want you to do it, it wouldn't allow you to. (i.e. everytime you pressed the button "dynamically", it wouldn't change mode)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i think most of the people like to drive in s mode after at least one try. and i think that's how mb get us into an amg if we can't live w/changing from e or c to s every single time .
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
.......My E350 feels quite light and peppy in S mode, more-so than my previous E350's, and it gives a nice balanced feel while driving. E mode can be a tad too sluggish coming out of 2nd gear.
You are spot on as usual,sir. I couldn't have described it better. (I've been hanging with Brits lately. )

Originally Posted by hofb99
......if the manufacturer didn't want you to do it, it wouldn't allow you to. (i.e. everytime you pressed the button "dynamically", it wouldn't change mode)
Yeah, especially Mercedes Benz. Perhaps the other Teutonic auto makers are that way too. You know, "You VILL read and you VILL memorize the Owner's Manual and you VILL obey!" My Service Department Asst. Mgr. (a buddy) assures me my one relative currently residing in the Gevelsberg area will remain safe,as long as I do what I'm told. I do.

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i think most of the people like to drive in s mode after at least one try. and i think that's how mb get us into an amg if we can't live w/changing from e or c to s every single time .
In my case, you are so right. I didn't bother with S mode for the first 6 months I had the car. Now I prefer it the majority of the time. Actually, if I'm driving in E mode it's probably only because it's a short, quick trip and I'm too lazy to push a button.

Yes, maybe MB engineering and marketing are in cahoots to lure us into an AMG. Between them and Hyperion's AMG pictures pre-CLS, the only thing standing between me and an E63 is the irritating habit of my family demanding to be fed occasionally. $$
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Yes, maybe MB engineering and marketing are in cahoots to lure us into an AMG. Between them and Hyperion's AMG pictures pre-CLS, the only thing standing between me and an E63 is the irritating habit of my family demanding to be fed occasionally. $$
Yeah, annoying isn't it?!! LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E and S Mode;safe to change?