E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

no sound from e350 comand unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
This issue was slightly more complex then a hardware/software issue. When a dealer performs a telematics software update, every component on the MOST ring gets updated. It was determined that the older SDAR unit was not compatible with the newer SDAR software that is installed on the newer SDAR unit. This is why installing a new SDAR tuner resolves the issue. Please note that they have come out with a software fix for this now so SDAR tuner replacement is no longer needed. Basically there is a special update that just came out last week that after all telematics components are updated with the normal software, the SDAR is then flashed again with a special software. This is a quick fix and has proven to resolve the issue. If you already have the later SDAR unit then you will not experience this issue. This exact issue only applies to NTG 4.0 telematics systems.
Took my car in today and my SA (to whom I'd spoken about this issue before and in fact pointed him to this thread) said basically what you just wrote. Hope this fixes it!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 PM

2010 E550 coupe
Got my car back today. They updated the firmware in the satellite radio unit (SDAR). We'll see if this fixes it. The notes on the service record are:

Radio function test found audio cut out at times. Short test no fault code. Checked software no newer software. R & R COMAND and SAT ECU. Checked connectors were OK. Contact PTSS found it had newer software for SAT radio. Download from email to USB. Programming SAT ECU from USB hard drive and SCN coding. Erased fault code. Rechecked OK.

Going into the Engineering Mode on COMAND and looking under MOST Devices->SDAR, I see that the software version is 08 49 00. I don't know what it was before.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Please follow-up on this thread and let us know if that fixes your issue.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E-350W4
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was experiencing the same problem. Spoke to SA and he was fully aware of this problem. Going in next week to have the Command Module replaced and hopefully that corrects the problem.

MBTech, thanks for your information on this problem.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM

2010 E550 coupe
So far the problem has not resurfaced. Of course, it has only been a few days.

Firestopper0383 - assuming it is the same issue, the satellite radio unit needs to have its software updated. The COMAND unit does not need to be replaced. On the other hand, I imagine they'll update the COMAND unit's software if needed.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
sound is loud and clear for 2 weeks. they updated the software on my SDAR unit. is it the satellite unit? anyone have any issue yet? mine is so far so good.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
I previously experienced same issue (2010 E550 Coupe) and SDAR firmware patch installed about two weeks ago; so far no sound or Satellite problems. The only issue I see now is that in Bluetooth streaming mode, the 'bar' that tracks song progress is non-functional. Is it supposed to function and should an update of COMAND firmware address this? (I noted that it was functional in the loaner I was provided.)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM

2010 E550 coupe
Another update: The disappearing audio problem has not resurfaced so far.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:27 PM

MB350
Regarding "manual" resetting of the digital ring that seems to control COMAND, and is located under the back seat on drivers side, is there a consensus that this no longer needs to be done IF one gets the software (and hardware) upgrades to the SAT module, or COMAND?

I have had the problem of "Device Unavailable" twice this year (2014) since i bought a 2009 ML 350 (my first MB) and paid the MB dealership ~$115 to reset each time.

I've attempted to attach a photo here of the digital box under the back seat, with numbers dropped onto the image for the location of each wire/cable. If the image comes through, does anyone know which wire/cable to pull in order to force a reset/reboot?

I love the MB drive/quality but this COMAND problem is extremely irritating. jgudgeo, Utah
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by jgudge
Regarding "manual" resetting of the digital ring that seems to control COMAND, and is located under the back seat on drivers side, is there a consensus that this no longer needs to be done IF one gets the software (and hardware) upgrades to the SAT module, or COMAND?

I have had the problem of "Device Unavailable" twice this year (2014) since i bought a 2009 ML 350 (my first MB) and paid the MB dealership ~$115 to reset each time.

I've attempted to attach a photo here of the digital box under the back seat, with numbers dropped onto the image for the location of each wire/cable. If the image comes through, does anyone know which wire/cable to pull in order to force a reset/reboot?

I love the MB drive/quality but this COMAND problem is extremely irritating. jgudgeo, Utah

I had the problem with "Device unavailable" with my 2010 E550.
It started after an update to the software was made.

Turns out they had to revert back to an older update, i.e. the latest update for my car was not the correct one. They went back a revision or two and it fixed the problem. It is still update SW as my Bluetooth audio streaming works what did not work with the very original SW.

I think you probably have this same issue, at least, your symptoms seem like it.

I don't know if you can access command engineering pages in an ML by pressing "Hang-up", "#" and "1" at the same time for a few seconds but if you can then you can reset it yourself. Just scroll down and pull the control knob for the second page and there is a "Reset" option for you to perform it.

In the above "Hang-up" is the red phone Hang-up button in the center console, not the one on the steering wheel.

Edit: Just looked at some pictures of the 2009 ML and it seems the Comand unit is all different. I don't see "Hang-up" button on the center console nor can I see Comand control knob so I have no idea if there is a way to access engineering pages on it and how to maneuver on them if there is access to them. Sorry can't help more. Perhaps you could find better help in the ML forum...?

Last edited by Arrie; 01-04-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:50 AM

MB350
fixing "device unavailable"

The photo i posted above illustrates only the top level (COMAND module) electronic box and not the lower (ie, down, toward the ground) level which, for my ML350, is where the cable that the resets (via a hard boot) plugs in (labeled with a number 6 in the photo. It may be a different cable located in a different place for other models/years. There is a bit of a trick in unplugging the cable; that is, on the underside of the plug part of the cable is a clip. This clip needs to be, well, unclipped before pulling on the plug/cable. Don't force it out by prying on it. Reach under the plug and feel for the clip and unclip/pull it down and away from the plug. The plug should be easy to pull out. Wait a minute or two and plug it back in...and hopefully this will correct the "device unavailable" problem.

I haven't yet figured out what hardware, software or "firmware" upgrade will prevent the "device unavailable" from occurring (eg, after jump starting, etc), but there seem to be fixes available that don't require replacing the entire COMAND module. And replacing marginal car batteries seems to be the first thing that can help avoid the problem. Does anyone know if MBs require ("special") MB batteries vs. any good quality battery? My dealership wants $400 to replace my battery!
Attached Thumbnails no sound from e350 comand unit-digitalbox2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Any updates on this? Friend has a 2007 GL450.

no sound from radio, no sound from nav, no sound anywhere.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 PM

e350
E350

My e350 can turn on gps bluetooth camera when i got the japanese massages in display.did any of you guy get this.pls give me the tip how to off the messases thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
NO SOUND 2009 E550 COMMAND UNIT.

About a month ago I started losing the audio while the Sirius Radio was on. I shut down the NAV and restarted the audio returned. This happen three or four times. A couple of days ago after making a stop I started the vehicle no audio. The NAV display showed. I tried to play a disc. The screen show the disc but no audio. I tried a telephone call the number connected but no audio. The party said they could here the directional signal. I tried several times turning NAV off and on.

I made another stop for about twenty minutes. Returned to the vehicle and the audio has worked fine for a couple of days. Dealer said they need to have the car for a couple of hours to check out the problem. The dealer is not sure if this will be covered by the extended warranty and request that I paid for the diagnosis in advance.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
NO SOUND E550 FROM COMMAND UNIT

Originally Posted by MBtech1098
This issue was slightly more complex then a hardware/software issue. When a dealer performs a telematics software update, every component on the MOST ring gets updated. It was determined that the older SDAR unit was not compatible with the newer SDAR software that is installed on the newer SDAR unit. This is why installing a new SDAR tuner resolves the issue. Please note that they have come out with a software fix for this now so SDAR tuner replacement is no longer needed. Basically there is a special update that just came out last week that after all telematics components are updated with the normal software, the SDAR is then flashed again with a special software. This is a quick fix and has proven to resolve the issue. If you already have the later SDAR unit then you will not experience this issue. This exact issue only applies to NTG 4.0 telematics systems.
Loss of audio a few times audio returned after restarting NAV. Last time audio loss when starting vehicle restarting NAV no help. Audio restarted after short drive and stop for a short period. Entered vehicle started engine NAV loaded audio return.

Visited the dealer today who performed command software update.
"OK DURING TESTING AND INSPECTION PERFORMED SHORT TEST NO CODES. PERFORMED FUNCTION TEST OK DURING TESTING. CHECKED AND PERFORMED COMMAND SOFTWARE UPDATE. RETEST OK."

Command software update not covered under warranty.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E2233
Loss of audio a few times audio returned after restarting NAV. Last time audio loss when starting vehicle restarting NAV no help. Audio restarted after short drive and stop for a short period. Entered vehicle started engine NAV loaded audio return.

Visited the dealer today who performed command software update.
"OK DURING TESTING AND INSPECTION PERFORMED SHORT TEST NO CODES. PERFORMED FUNCTION TEST OK DURING TESTING. CHECKED AND PERFORMED COMMAND SOFTWARE UPDATE. RETEST OK."

Command software update not covered under warranty.

Software update may not be covered under warranty but the loss of audio certainly is. If MB has to do a software update to fix it this is their problem, not yours.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
LOSS OF AUDIO E550 COMMAND UNIT

Originally Posted by Arrie
Software update may not be covered under warranty but the loss of audio certainly is. If MB has to do a software update to fix it this is their problem, not yours.
About four year ago my vehicle was flooded in a storm in a hotel parking lot. The water level was about 12 inches outside the vehicle. My insurance carrier paid $15,000.00 to the local Mercedes for all the repairs. The wiring harness, the carpets were replaced and all the wiring in the lower part of the vehicles with water damage was replaced. The dealer took over three months to repair the vehicle testing and replacing parts.

MB coded the vehicle as being in a flood. Every time the vehicle needed warranty work the dealer had to obtain approval from the local MB representative. This would require a couple of trips to the dealer then waiting for the MB representative to approve the work. I have three weeks left on the extended warranty and the local representative states he is not authoring any additional work on the vehicle that may be electrical related.

I had a problem with the radio before the flood and the unit was replaced after several trips to different dealers. The radio just started to cut off a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will wait to see if any additional problems occurs with the radio or other parts of the vehicle before the warranty expires within the next three weeks.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E2233
About four year ago my vehicle was flooded in a storm in a hotel parking lot. The water level was about 12 inches outside the vehicle. My insurance carrier paid $15,000.00 to the local Mercedes for all the repairs. The wiring harness, the carpets were replaced and all the wiring in the lower part of the vehicles with water damage was replaced. The dealer took over three months to repair the vehicle testing and replacing parts.

MB coded the vehicle as being in a flood. Every time the vehicle needed warranty work the dealer had to obtain approval from the local MB representative. This would require a couple of trips to the dealer then waiting for the MB representative to approve the work. I have three weeks left on the extended warranty and the local representative states he is not authoring any additional work on the vehicle that may be electrical related.

I had a problem with the radio before the flood and the unit was replaced after several trips to different dealers. The radio just started to cut off a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will wait to see if any additional problems occurs with the radio or other parts of the vehicle before the warranty expires within the next three weeks.

I drive a 2010 E550. I had the COMAND software updated so I could do Bluetooth streaming and it also improved NAVI system. This worked fine but my audio including everything that has to do with sound out of the speakers (like warning chimes) started randomly cutting out. Sometimes it took just one re-start to get it back, sometimes two. It displayed "Device not available" on the COMAND screen when this happened.

I complained about this to my dealer a few times when I took it to service but as they could not repeat the problem they could not do anything. And there were no codes in the system.

Then, once on a work trip audio was out at start in the morning and I knew there was a MB dealer just a mile away and I drove it there to show my car with no audio at all. I left it running while I went inside so it won't reset at re-start.

They scanned it as it was running but found no codes but they confirmed to me and to my dealer service that there is a problem.

Next time I went to get my service my dealer revert the updated COMAND software back a step. Turned out that the latest software was not compatible with the satellite radio module (I think) and they had to use a one step older software. This was still an update to the original software the car had. With this I still have all of the improvements in the car and it has not cut audio out once since this was done I think about 3 years ago now, could be even four years ago.

If I was you I would kindly ask your dealer service to look into this as this could be your issue.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
LOSS OF AUDIO E550 COMMAND UNIT

I drive a 2010 E550. I had the COMAND software updated so I could do Bluetooth streaming and it also improved NAVI system. This worked fine but my audio including everything that has to do with sound out of the speakers (like warning chimes) started randomly cutting out. Sometimes it took just one re-start to get it back, sometimes two. It displayed "Device not available" on the COMAND screen when this happened.

I complained about this to my dealer a few times when I took it to service but as they could not repeat the problem they could not do anything. And there were no codes in the system.

Then, once on a work trip audio was out at start in the morning and I knew there was a MB dealer just a mile away and I drove it there to show my car with no audio at all. I left it running while I went inside so it won't reset at re-start.

They scanned it as it was running but found no codes but they confirmed to me and to my dealer service that there is a problem.

Next time I went to get my service my dealer revert the updated COMAND software back a step. Turned out that the latest software was not compatible with the satellite radio module (I think) and they had to use a one step older software. This was still an update to the original software the car had. With this I still have all of the improvements in the car and it has not cut audio out once since this was done I think about 3 years ago now, could be even four years ago.

If I was you I would kindly ask your dealer service to look into this as this could be your issue.
My dealer updated the software during my last visit. I just had a loss of audio and one time the NAV froze. The disc would no play and the telephone loss audio. The command screen was displayed was able to changed display to system or disc.

The dealer told me they normally charge about $300.00 for the command system upgrade but only charge me for one hour of service.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:05 PM

e350
you can add me to the list, 2011 E350. lost all sound from the command/radio. Going to service @ pembroke pines (florida) dealership in the morning.
second problem I ever had with this car. Pray its my last.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:19 PM

2020 E350 4Matic
Hi Guys,
I have a similar situation. I have 2012 E350 Sedan and this problem started to occur recently since I moved in Washington state and park my car in open.

Every morning now (happening since Oct 26th 2015), since it is very cold. I start my car in early morning around 6.00 AM and my commad screen does not start. its pitch black on the screen and the on button just flashes orange light on and off. I try to do hard reset by pressing it for 10 seconds but nothing happens. When I drive the car for 10 mins and car engine becomes little hot then it automatically turns on and function normally for the rest of the day. This has become very annoying to me now. I took it to the dealership and showed him the video also they said it might be something to the software and they resetted the command software but next morning again the problem came . I called the dealership and they said they will replace the commad unit as my car is still under warranty. Well I hope after replacing the unit everything works.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cranjeeet
Hi Guys,
I have a similar situation. I have 2012 E350 Sedan and this problem started to occur recently since I moved in Washington state and park my car in open.

Every morning now (happening since Oct 26th 2015), since it is very cold. I start my car in early morning around 6.00 AM and my commad screen does not start. its pitch black on the screen and the on button just flashes orange light on and off. I try to do hard reset by pressing it for 10 seconds but nothing happens. When I drive the car for 10 mins and car engine becomes little hot then it automatically turns on and function normally for the rest of the day. This has become very annoying to me now. I took it to the dealership and showed him the video also they said it might be something to the software and they resetted the command software but next morning again the problem came . I called the dealership and they said they will replace the commad unit as my car is still under warranty. Well I hope after replacing the unit everything works.

Sounds strange indeed but it also sounds like the Comand screen is frozen and starts working after the car warms up.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
MB W212, MB W218, BMW F06, BMW F48
I did some research but no luck. All my speakers on my rear deck (behind the back seat headrest) including subwoofer stopped working. I have HK logic 7.0 to be exact. Does anyone have experienced this problem?

Last edited by Hsg08; 12-02-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Hsg08
All my speakers on my rear deck (behind the back seat headrest) including subwoofer stopped working. I have HK logic 7.0 to be exact. Does anyone have experienced this problem?
Check f69 (25A) @ rear SAM (trunk).
Old 12-04-2015, 05:59 PM

2020 E350 4Matic
Sounds strange indeed but it also sounds like the Comand screen is frozen and starts working after the car warms up.

Yes that is exactly what I experience and now the dealership says they have ordered a new command module and will arrive by next week and they will fix it.