Print Wikipost

Need Tire Advice -First tire replacement for my 2010 E350 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Tire Advice -First tire replacement for my 2010 E350 4matic

Hello all,

The Michelin Primacy MXM4's that came from the factory when I purchased my 2010 E350 4matic new are finally done enough to be replaced. I found these tires are really loud. I've rented other E350's before I purchased mine and never had that much tire noise. Any recommendations on what to replace them with? Road noise is a concern, but hey, I've gotten used to these horrible tires already, so any quieter would be good. Looking for all-seasons. I'm in PA so with a light winter this past year, I'm expecting a crazy one this year. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
I have heard of some complaints about Continental but I am happy with my Continental tires . Knock on wood lol
I used Toyo when I used to have a SUV and they exceeded my expectations ,so despite huge rims tires were comfortable .

I recommend you to log in Tire Rack and read some reviews if you like as well
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Wow...really surprised someone actually posted that Michelins are "loud". Really don't understand that one... Are they summer tires? Because everytime I go to a tire shop or dealer, Michelins are always always...one more time, ALWAYS, on top of their shop list...just not mine, for the price! So, where are you coming from? Michelin MXV4s are probably the way to go...I KNOW these are exceptional, as far as all season performance. Wish I had those on mine... Continentals are lacking to say the least...very noisy for how I expect road noise should be translated to a M-B's interior!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
I know that most of the new 2012 E350s are coming with Continental ContiProContacts. I expect that my soon to be delivered car will have those tires.

I have had many cars with the ContiProContacts and found them to be very good, in terms of traction, wear and low noise levels.

Check out TireRack for their recommendations and ratings.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
I have Pirelli PZero Neros on a 2010 E350 4Matic. Loudest tires I have ever had on a less than smooth or grooved road surface, they growl and roar. Check Tire Rack surveys. My replacements may be Conti ProContacts or Conti DWS.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Cool tires

The two top choices seem to be :

1. Conti Extreme Contact DWS

2. Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus

What size wheels do you have? On 17" I'd consider them equals. On 18" I'd
opt for the Contis as they have a slightly better ride/slightly softer sidewalls and the 18" wheels ride a little harsher. If top handling in dry is your priority--then the Mich might be #1.

At my dealer most E Class seem to be coming with Conti Pro Contact which are also highly rated.

When my 2013 E 350 arrives, I'm debating to keep the OEM tires
if they are the Conti Pro Contact. It may not be worth switching....

Anybody know which major tire retailer would give the best deal on
trading in new takeoff OEMs?? In US. Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
I had Michelin Energy MXV4 on my old Benz and found them to be very quiet. I'm surprised too that anyone would find the MXM's loud. My current car has ContiProContact and I'm happy with them. I can't comment on winter performance as I always use dedicated winter tires.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I've read a lot of good things about the Conti DWS.In fact,I'm gonna be buying a set *if* I can confirm something....does anyone know if the standard 17" wheels that come with the Bluetec Luxury (runflats) are suitable for these non-runflat tires? I know little about wheels and tires but know that a specfic wheel will only safely accept tires with the exact specs/dimensions it was designed for.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by listerone
I've read a lot of good things about the Conti DWS.In fact,I'm gonna be buying a set *if* I can confirm something....does anyone know if the standard 17" wheels that come with the Bluetec Luxury (runflats) are suitable for these non-runflat tires? I know little about wheels and tires but know that a specfic wheel will only safely accept tires with the exact specs/dimensions it was designed for.

Non runflat tires will work just fine. The ride will be better too. Only word of caution. If you leased your car, they need to be returned with approved tires and for Blue Tec, you will need runflats or pay a big $$$ penaty upon lease turn in.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Michelin Pilots
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by Daniel Cordova
Hello all,
The Michelin Primacy MXM4's that came from the factory when I purchased my 2010 E350 4matic new are finally done enough to be replaced.
How many miles did you get out of them??
Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Replacement tires

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
The two top choices seem to be :

1. Conti Extreme Contact DWS

2. Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus

What size wheels do you have? On 17" I'd consider them equals. On 18" I'd
opt for the Contis as they have a slightly better ride/slightly softer sidewalls and the 18" wheels ride a little harsher. If top handling in dry is your priority--then the Mich might be #1.

At my dealer most E Class seem to be coming with Conti Pro Contact which are also highly rated.

When my 2013 E 350 arrives, I'm debating to keep the OEM tires
if they are the Conti Pro Contact. It may not be worth switching....

Anybody know which major tire retailer would give the best deal on
trading in new takeoff OEMs?? In US. Thanks
2 months ago I bought a new 2012 E350 which came with Conti Pro-Contacts. Have read reviews on this tire and they were not that good. I requested that the dealer change out the Pros for the Conti Extreme Contacts DWS. They did this no charge to me. All I had to do was ask. The sales dept. said no so I went to the Serv Mgr. who said no problem as the cost for the DWS tires was no more than the Pro's. Maybe even less. Have 2500 mi on the DWS's and after a 2000 mi trip I have no complaints. The Extremes are a sport tire with very good reviews. The Pro's are a Touring tire. I appreciate the sport type and do not have any problems with the ride.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by listerone
I know little about wheels and tires but know that a specfic wheel will only safely accept tires with the exact specs/dimensions it was designed for.
Not quite. A given wheel width will safely accommodate a certain range of tire widths. For diameter you need to match (obviously).
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I went with Cooper Zeon RS3-A (all season version, they also make a summer ver RS3-S). I have been very satisfied with them. They get great write-ups and are often compared to the Michelin PS2. They really sharpened the steering on my Luxury Blutec without harming the nice comfy ride. They are a UHP tire not a touring tire, so I am guessing the noise may be higher than a a straight touring tire. They are much quieter than the OEM Bridgestone Runflats. They have the best wet traction I have experienced with any tire.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
conti and michs

Originally Posted by greasykid
2 months ago I bought a new 2012 E350 which came with Conti Pro-Contacts. Have read reviews on this tire and they were not that good. I requested that the dealer change out the Pros for the Conti Extreme Contacts DWS. They did this no charge to me. All I had to do was ask. The sales dept. said no so I went to the Serv Mgr. who said no problem as the cost for the DWS tires was no more than the Pro's. Maybe even less. Have 2500 mi on the DWS's and after a 2000 mi trip I have no complaints. The Extremes are a sport tire with very good reviews. The Pro's are a Touring tire. I appreciate the sport type and do not have any problems with the ride.

I've had P-zero's, pilot sport a/s, contiprocontact and dws on my E550 at one time or another.

- p-zeros were loud and it seem most agree with this.

- DWS have sub optimal dry traction. They are traction rated as 'A' compared to the others listed here which are rated 'AA'. This shortcoming in dry traction is more noticeably than I'd imagine with hard braking or cornering. I feel the tire's name and some reviews on tirerack are misleading. Upside is they are less expensive than the others and are supposed to have the best light snow traction.

ps2 a/s are good all around but I only got 9 months ~ 15,000 miles out of them despite their high treadware rating. I may have gotten a bad batch?

ContiProContacts - good all around and what I'd advocate. I am glad MB came to the same conclusion.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by MagicJack
ContiProContacts - good all around and what I'd advocate. I am glad MB came to the same conclusion.
I've read through a lot of Tire Rack reviews for the Contis and there weren't a lot of positive things being said. I had to stop reading to keep myself from running somewhere to switch out all four tires muy pronto! Scary. One thing I have noticed after logging only 4K+ miles on my set of Contis is that they're a little on the noisy side...not quite the quality I expect from a luxo/sport OEM tire. My other issue is there's not a large selection of Michelin tires to choose from for this tire size as alternatives for the E350 @ 245/40/18 (Tire Rack usually offers a large variety; Michelin inventory was lacking to my surprise). On my wife's last sports sedan, we went thru three sets of tires (Michelin MXV4s, Goodyear Eagle GTs, then Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus) after ~90K miles total. Must say, in the end, the Michelins won "hands-down"...both sets were VERY quiet and stuck to the pavement during austere weather conditions, while the Goodyears ended up being a little noisy, but well-priced despite the fact. Haven't pushed these Contis through any kind of weather or "spirited" driving as of yet. So I guess for now since there doesn't seem to be anything appealing or highly rated/recommended, I'll see how these hold up until it's time to replace them...

Last edited by hofb99; 05-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.