E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Starting Noise...???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Wink 2010 M B E350 Cold start engine knock for a couple of seconds then goes away

Originally Posted by hofb99
Yep, sounds like the same rattling...thought it might be the oil having to get up into the engine, but sometimes it sounds almost scary! Makes me think something is loose maybe. Everytime it happens (again, randomly), it also makes me wonder what metal parts are wearing down due to the initial friction/clanging... I'll do as you did and hold off until my first service (only 4.5K miles away already!)...especially since there's really no other indicators that something is wrong. Engine runs so smooth besides the initial noise. We'll see! Guess you and I are the ONLY ones that hear this sound seeing that no one else responded...MUST be inherent to M-B engines, but I'm a first time owner, so that's why I asked. Thanks, El Cid.
All of you owners have the same issue that i have with my 2010 E350.I'm the second owner, purchased it last month with 27,300 miles. I'm very picky about how I take care of things and it is good to know others are concerned about noises that most would not even notice.
I live in Chapin, SC at Lake Murray and will stay in touch with this MB
forium. Thanks you all have made me feel better with your info.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec, 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2012 GL350 Bluetec
Hydraulic lifters

Hi I am new to this forum, but I had same problem with my GL and this is what I did to fix it. Rattle noise is coming from camshaft slapping top of the rocker arms, if engine has slow internal oil leak that will drain oil from your oil filter housing it will do this after you start your engine until oil filter is filled with the oil and system build the pressure, your hydraulic lifters will not fill the gap between cam and rocker arms then you will hear that noise. I installed mechanical oil pressure gauge on my engine, and sure enough once pressure is up noise will stop. When I took my oil filter cap off, at the bottom of the small tower there is small o-ring, I have always used o-ring that came with oil filter but for some reason this one would not seal properly oil in the filter housing so I replace it with ticker silicone o-ring and noise went away. It will rattle only after I do oil change until filter housing is filled with oil.
Now I suspect lifters are bad since they should keep oil in them all the time, but apparently not. Even this engine has only 40K miles on it, it started doing this about 3-4K miles ago. Funny thing I own two more OM642 engines, E320 has almost 100K miles on it, but never has that problem. And E350 is still working great.
Now this is what happen to me on OM642 engine is it same on other Benz engines I simply don’t know.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
My E550 W212 (M278 engine) had the same noisy engine on cold starts. Took the car to the dealership and mentioned the TSB provided by konigstiger LI05.1o-P-056435 .

They replaced the chain tensioner and installed check valves into cylinder heads.

So far so good.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Rovel
My E550 W212 (M278 engine) had the same noisy engine on cold starts. Took the car to the dealership and mentioned the TSB provided by konigstiger LI05.1o-P-056435 .

They replaced the chain tensioner and installed check valves into cylinder heads.

So far so good.
Just started hearing the noise on my 2006 E350 after breaching 130k miles. I'm guessing it might have something go do with the cold weather here in New England as well.

Hope a new chain tensioner does the trick.

Thank you all for your contributions on this subject.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Arrie
Replying to my own post...

Just for folks with engine noises especially at cold start try changing your oil by someone else than the dealer, like DIY. I don't know about all of them but my dealer does not use 0W-40 oil. They use 5W-40 or 10W40. Yesterday I did my own 5000 mile oil change and the engine is noticeable quieter than before the change. It is very easy to tell the difference and I think it is all about the oil quality.
I have done the oil service on my E since I purchased it. Ironically, I first heard the rattling noise the morning I went out to change the oil however the noise persists even after performing the service.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by harkirath
My car is at 65k miles and showing service B right now. I know I am due for the bigger service and believed I needed to do brake fluid and spark plugs as well. I took the car to the dealer and they were saying something fuel needed to be done as well. From the MY13 Service sheet, the only other thing I see is the fuel filter and that is dependent on what engine my car has. How would I go about finding out this information?
276 fuel filter every 150,000 miles/15 years whichever comes first.

Your engine # 30 260689 is within range of bulletin 056435. Request dealer check VMI (vehicle master inquiry) this will confirm if part replacement was completed previously. If not, bulletins are only covered under initial factory, CPO, and/or extended warranties in this case bulletin documents a specific engine # range whereas defective parts were installed at production so one can argue for MBUSA free goodwill repair to have optimized parts installed if not under warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
13 E maint.pdf (166.4 KB, 93 views)
LI05.10-P-056435_Ver_3.pdf (44.2 KB, 126 views)
WDDHF5KB3DA694041.pdf (73.8 KB, 105 views)
The following users liked this post:
vemireddyp (03-13-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
I had the same problem with my A207 E350 cabrio MY2012. Bought with 38K miles on it, now has 55K on it. Full service history done only at MB authorized dealers usually ahead of the service interval. RBM in Atlanta did diagnose it. BUT ONLY After I brought the TSB to them. They also diagnosed a rod knock. Full engine teardown. Very expensive.:-(

My after market warranty has only covered a small percentage. I WILL be opening a case with MBUSA to get reimbursed for some of the cost as I'm out several thousand dollars on this.

To any one with this startup noise: if you have a MB warranty still...get it fixed !!!!! Insist on it being fixed . There are many many many people with this issue. Many of them MB did a customer satisfaction even beyond the normal warranty.

BTW the service interval for the timing chains is many thousand miles beyond the 55K my car has. Some cars back in 2012 had the issue with very few miles ( like brand new )

TSB LI05.1o-P-056435

someone should open a class lawsuit on this. I'll sign up for it.

LMK