E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Starting Noise...???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Starting Noise...???

So, I realize several threads have addressed startup problems over and over and over again...root of problem very difficult to pinpoint in most cases. But, I have this engine starting "issue" and after 5K+ miles I've been dismissing it as (and hoping it is) a "normal" M-B thing and I can move on...but it's been doing it since first few days of ownership (that I can really recall). SO, as much as I try to ignore it, I can't get over the fact that every so often, quite randomly, my E starts w/ a "rat-a-tat-tat-tatty" sound that dies down after the initial ignition cycle (first few seconds). Once again, it only happens randomly, mostly on cold starts, when engine requires most gas input, but not always...that's why I have reservations taking it to the dealer (because it's so random and I really don't want them to keep my car more than a day/let alone a day--which I'm learning M-B does not hesitate to do). Best way to describe the sound is if someone turned the key and took a wooden stick and ran it across wooden staircase railing, then slowed down to a stop after 1 - 2 seconds...(Old schoolers such as myself would liken it to the way we "clothespinned" a playing card to the fork ends of our bicycle to make the "clackity" sound as the card hit against each tire spoke as we rode our bikes--one of many corny things we did to entertain us back in the day ). Only happens sometimes, no issues after it starts...engine performs wonderfully and it doesn't seem to do it after "warm" starts (i.e., time between quick trips). But, it's so loud sometimes, that as K-A so many times referred to wanting to trade his car in for every rattle/imperfection he encounters, I find myself feeling the same exact way. Will try to post the sound once I get some time to do so, but wanted to take a stab and canvas forum members possibly encountering the same thing maybe? Especially 2012 MY D/I engine owners...might be symptomatic to the new engine only, don't know... Also already checked the oil, and again, the engine purrs after startup, and fires up beautifully after those "warm" starts (no clackity sound @ all), so apparent serious problems w/ motor seem to be non-existent. Anyone experiencing any similar loud noises @ startup?

Last edited by hofb99; 06-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My 2010 does the same thing - kind of a rattle for 2-3 seconds. I had the dealer check it when I took it in for a service, especially considering the TSB on some engines. They kept it overnight and did a cold start.
Checked out the engine and diagnostics, etc. Appears the noise is normal and is most likely related to all the oil draining down when car has been sitting a while.
Mine does it randomly and not very often.

Last edited by El Cid; 06-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by El Cid
My 2010 does the same thing - kind of a rattle for 2-3 seconds. I had the dealer check it when I took it in for a service, especially considering the TSB on some engines. They kept it overnight and did a cold start.
Checked out the engine and diagnostics, etc. Appears the noise is normal and is most likely related to all the oil draining down when car has been sitting a while.
Mine does it randomly and not very often.
Yep, sounds like the same rattling...thought it might be the oil having to get up into the engine, but sometimes it sounds almost scary! Makes me think something is loose maybe. Everytime it happens (again, randomly), it also makes me wonder what metal parts are wearing down due to the initial friction/clanging... I'll do as you did and hold off until my first service (only 4.5K miles away already!)...especially since there's really no other indicators that something is wrong. Engine runs so smooth besides the initial noise. We'll see! Guess you and I are the ONLY ones that hear this sound seeing that no one else responded...MUST be inherent to M-B engines, but I'm a first time owner, so that's why I asked. Thanks, El Cid.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Start up ticking

Originally Posted by hofb99
So, I realize several threads have addressed startup problems over and over and over again...root of problem very difficult to pinpoint in most cases. But, I have this engine starting "issue" and after 5K+ miles I've been dismissing it as (and hoping it is) a "normal" M-B thing and I can move on...but it's been doing it since first few days of ownership (that I can really recall). SO, as much as I try to ignore it, I can't get over the fact that every so often, quite randomly, my E starts w/ a "rat-a-tat-tat-tatty" sound that dies down after the initial ignition cycle (first few seconds). Once again, it only happens randomly, mostly on cold starts, when engine requires most gas input, but not always...that's why I have reservations taking it to the dealer (because it's so random and I really don't want them to keep my car more than a day/let alone a day--which I'm learning M-B does not hesitate to do). Best way to describe the sound is if someone turned the key and took a wooden stick and ran it across wooden staircase railing, then slowed down to a stop after 1 - 2 seconds...(Old schoolers such as myself would liken it to the way we "clothespinned" a playing card to the fork ends of our bicycle to make the "clackity" sound as the card hit against each tire spoke as we rode our bikes--one of many corny things we did to entertain us back in the day ). Only happens sometimes, no issues after it starts...engine performs wonderfully and it doesn't seem to do it after "warm" starts (i.e., time between quick trips). But, it's so loud sometimes, that as K-A so many times referred to wanting to trade his car in for every rattle/imperfection he encounters, I find myself feeling the same exact way. Will try to post the sound once I get some time to do so, but wanted to take a stab and canvas forum members possibly encountering the same thing maybe? Especially 2012 MY D/I engine owners...might be symptomatic to the new engine only, don't know... Also already checked the oil, and again, the engine purrs after startup, and fires up beautifully after those "warm" starts (no clackity sound @ all), so apparent serious problems w/ motor seem to be non-existent. Anyone experiencing any similar loud noises @ startup?
I had the same problem with my 2010 E350. Then I bought a 2011 and then a 2012. Neither of these had the same ticking on start up. Seems to me that I saw some type of TSB on this not too long ago. Always thought it was poor oil circulation on start up.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Sport, P2, Pano, AMG wheel package, dynamic/multicontour seat, black/beige
I had a 2007 E350, a 2008 C350, and now have a 2010 E350 and all exhibit this behavior from time to time. I have read other posts regarding this noise and all have come to the same conclusion: that it's a normal noise (as long as it doesn't last longer than a second or two). Even initially, I never questioned the noise seeing as how it only occurred on startup and didn't happen every time. Then, after having owned other Mercedes-Benz vehicles with the exact same engine and hearing the same noise, I became even more confident in my conclusion that it's a normal startup noise that is characteristic of this particular engine. I also haven't read of any lasting damage in any of the cases I've seen. Some may disagree with my analysis but I'm just here to say that your E-class is certainly not the only vehicle that exhibits this noise. I hope this provides some comfort.

I've seen several people mention a TSB regarding this noise...I'd love to get additional information on this if such a TSB exists. Perhaps a cause and a remedy, or TSB number. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM

2012 c350 sedan
i hate this noise so bad. i got a 2012 c350w that i had to order from germany an i have this same problem. took it to dealer they said it was the oil was sittin at the bottom of engine but when they gave me a loaner which was a 2012 c250w.it didnt make this noise. i even test drove to 2012 c350 coupe no noise. if that was the case i wouldnt have bought the car. i know for sure its not oil settlein in the bottom of oil pan or even the cat. hope somebody figures out this noise
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM

e350
Originally Posted by greasykid
I had the same problem with my 2010 E350. Then I bought a 2011 and then a 2012. Neither of these had the same ticking on start up. Seems to me that I saw some type of TSB on this not too long ago. Always thought it was poor oil circulation on start up.
How many cars do you have???
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
How many cars do I have?

Originally Posted by bigh123
How many cars do you have???
Right now only 2. The MB and a 2012 Ford Fusion. My current MB is my 27th. Bought first 280SL in 1971. 26 more since then. I have long since forgotten how many total cars I have owned. Would guess at least 120 as I quit keeping track about 20 yrs ago when I passed 100.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Right now only 2. The MB and a 2012 Ford Fusion. My current MB is my 27th. Bought first 280SL in 1971. 26 more since then. I have long since forgotten how many total cars I have owned. Would guess at least 120 as I quit keeping track about 20 yrs ago when I passed 100.
You are incredible
Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
120 ! it could be super cool if you have a list of them. oj (one of our members here, not that oj ) has some serious competition here .
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM

2012 E350W4
Sir, you are THE Benz extraordinaire!!! Hats off to you!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
I just posted the same concern on my CLK thanks...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM

ML350
Same issue here!

I just purchased my E350 3.5 weeks ago and the noise is driving me crazy!! I brought it to the dealer and they kept my car for 3 days and said they finally "think" they found the problem. I had it also last for about 2-3 seconds, and actually only happened after i would drive the car for a while, and then park it somewhere... come back after 30 mins or so and start the car again

The dealer has now said it's the "timing chain tensioner" (i think this is what they called it, will re-confirm) I don't know too much other than that right now and they have ordered the part. It has been one of the worst experiences dealing with them on this.

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by techbruinbenz
I just purchased my E350 3.5 weeks ago and the noise is driving me crazy!! I brought it to the dealer and they kept my car for 3 days and said they finally "think" they found the problem. I had it also last for about 2-3 seconds, and actually only happened after i would drive the car for a while, and then park it somewhere... come back after 30 mins or so and start the car again

The dealer has now said it's the "timing chain tensioner" (i think this is what they called it, will re-confirm) I don't know too much other than that right now and they have ordered the part. It has been one of the worst experiences dealing with them on this.

Hope this helps
Welcome, and I appreciate your input
I hope they resolve your issue soon
Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
the start-up on my AMG is very nice
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 AM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by techbruinbenz

Hope this helps
Thanks for contributing to the cause, techbruin... Guess it's not as common a problem as I originally thought it would be as is evident from the little response I've gotten. Coming up on our first service visit soon. I will definitely make mention of this (w/ your added input) and will see what they do. Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Welcome to the world of Hydraulic lifters and DI injectors. Yes it is all normal.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM

2009 C350 Sport
Is this what you guys are talking about?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Welcome to the world of Hydraulic lifters and DI injectors. Yes it is all normal.
Yes
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by 2buckchuck
Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-95-cyv7B4

Umm...lasts about as long as yours (length of time) and similar "die-off" (the way it dies/slows down after a few seconds). But w/ ours, it's a much LOUDER. More rattling and pronounced. Best way to describe it is more "clackety"...lol But recently, although I haven't noticed it anymore when I start it, the wife says she still hears it sometimes. Some unknown "break-in" quirk/glitch? I don't know... Well, 10K mile service due, so I'll see what the service tech says. Will mention the "time-chain tensioner" and see where they go from there. Thanks for the uploaded sound-byte!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Yep

That's it. Service tech did hear it when they kept it overnight. Said it could be something loose,but couldn't find anything. Concluded it was oil draining down.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

2009 C350 Sport
When I took mine to the dealer they said, as a few have said here, that it was normal. I find this hard to believe. I mean this is a Benz not a Yugo.

Anyway..

They also said if the noise gets worse, runs longer, that I need to bring it in. They also said that its typical of the C350's to do this and not so much the E350's.

It was recommended that I do an oil change; about that time. The noise is still there only smoother if that makes sense.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by 2buckchuck
It was recommended that I do an oil change; about that time. The noise is still there only smoother if that makes sense.
Well, it hasn't gotten worse, so far...just rears its ugly face every once in awhile when my wife drives it, it seems. I'll just see what the dealer chooses to do. Really don't want them to keep it overnight, but may have no choice. Such a shame, because when it DOES NOT happen, the E has such an impressive startup signature! Thanks again, 2buckchuck (and all others that have chimed in to assist)!!!

Last edited by hofb99; 08-15-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM

e350
Originally Posted by hofb99
Well, it hasn't gotten worse, so far...just rears its ugly face every once in awhile when my wife drives it, it seems. I'll just see what the dealer chooses to do. Really don't want them to keep it overnight, but may have no choice. Such a shame, because when it DOES NOT happen, the E has such an impressive startup signature! Thanks again, 2buckchuck (and all others that have chimed in to assist)!!!
Ok just noticed it on mine on startup. Car is a 2013 and has 800 miles on it. It lasted for 2 seconds. I've heard this sound before on startup on other cars. I will watch it (and hopefully it will happen so infrequently I will forget about it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
As has been stated in this thread, these noises are normal for this vehicle, and, quite frankly, most DI engines with Hydraulic lifters. If this sound is that troubling, just trade the car on something that does not use these advanced technologies. There is no fix for a non-existent problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Starting Noise...???