E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

DIY: Mercedes e550 cabin filter

Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
DIY: Mercedes e550 cabin filter

The following are directions for replacing the cabin filter on a 2010 Mercedes e550 coupe. I'm sure its the same on the sedan and e350 models. I am not responsible if you screw up.

Tools needed:
1. Small flat head screw driver
2. Torx set (T20)
3. New Mercedes Cabin filter (part # A212 830 03 18)

Difficulty level: Easy

Step 1:

Locate passenger side floor area

Step 2:

Look under the dash and you will need to remove three (3) torx bolts in these areas.

Step 3:

Pull down the floor mat and then pull down the carpet underneath.

Step 4:

Now you can pull down on the plastic piece and disconnected the two (2) plugs.

For this sensor twist it counter clockwise.

Press on the tab and release the wire for the light. Becareful not to touch the light it will be as hot as hell.

Step 5:

Next slide the white handle over.

Step 6:

On the sides of the filter lid you will see a metal tab. Take a small screw driver and pull outwards.

Step 7:

The filter will drop down.

Step 8:

Throw away the old filter and insert the new one.

Step 9:

Reinstall everything in the reverse order.

Last edited by lee16; 12-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jfxogara (10-09-2020)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2004 911
Great write up!! Thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Thanks for taking the effort of putting this together! Doesn't seem to bad, similar to a Volvo I had. But then again not sure why they can't make it a it simpler also?

Was that what the old filter looked like after 1 year?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 AM

2010 E550
It wasnt that dirty. I guess it depends on how often you use the fan and the area you live in.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 428 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by jvc300
Great write up!! Thanks for the info!
+1
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
thanks for the pics and write up. but is it part of the service a/b/c? how often do you need to change it?

Last edited by BM2BZ; 12-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM

2010 E550
Its part of Service B & C.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
It is supposed to be changed at the B service, 2 yrs or 20k miles and at that frequency.

My was relatively clean at that mileage and I will check it annually from now on before I change it. No harm in blowing off the loose bits with your compressor's blower nozzle before reinstalling it.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (11-02-2020)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Good post and pics - Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
This is NOT easy. Actually moderate at least. Have had Fords, Mazdas, Hyundais, Toyotas, etc. with cabin filters and they were easy. For most, it was open glove box, push in on sides of box itself, let it drop down, pull out old filter, slide in new one, reattach box, close door. 5-10 minutes top. Ford required opening hood, removing two bolts at top of firewall to remove shield, pull out old filter, slide in new one, reattach shield, close hood. Also, filters are available at any car parts store.
Why couldn't MB with all its engineering expertise come up with something as simple?
BTW, since I only drive about 5,000 miles per year and car is garaged, will only change it at 20,000 mile intervals, not every two years.
I do appreciate your posting this as it does an excellent job of showing just how to do it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by El Cid
This is NOT easy. Actually moderate at least. Have had Fords, Mazdas, Hyundais, Toyotas, etc. with cabin filters and they were easy. For most, it was open glove box, push in on sides of box itself, let it drop down, pull out old filter, slide in new one, reattach box, close door. 5-10 minutes top. Ford required opening hood, removing two bolts at top of firewall to remove shield, pull out old filter, slide in new one, reattach shield, close hood. Also, filters are available at any car parts store.
Why couldn't MB with all its engineering expertise come up with something as simple?
BTW, since I only drive about 5,000 miles per year and car is garaged, will only change it at 20,000 mile intervals, not every two years.
I do appreciate your posting this as it does an excellent job of showing just how to do it.

Man,
You need to understand that most MB drivers DO NOT service their cars. The dealer makes more money for a job that they do as it takes more time than just 10 minutes. I bet a MB technician can do this close to 10 minutes but I bet they charge 1 hour for the job.

A lot of MB cars are built the way that it is very difficult to service by others than MB. Just for an oil change that I do myself at 5000 miles between the dealer visits every 10 000 miles it requires a suction oil pump to pull the oil out.

Once I thought I will let someone else to do it so I took the car to a carage and they could not find oil drain plug. I did not check myself but after they removed the bottom front cover they could not find it and could not change the oil as they did not have a pump to pull oil out thru the dip stick hole. So I had to do it myself, which is not that hard to do at all. Have done it 4 times to this car already but this effectively limits amount of shops where oil can be changed so just for that reason lots of these cars end up being serviced by MB.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by Arrie
Man,
You need to understand that most MB drivers DO NOT service their cars. The dealer makes more money for a job that they do as it takes more time than just 10 minutes. I bet a MB technician can do this close to 10 minutes but I bet they charge 1 hour for the job.

A lot of MB cars are built the way that it is very difficult to service by others than MB. Just for an oil change that I do myself at 5000 miles between the dealer visits every 10 000 miles it requires a suction oil pump to pull the oil out.

Once I thought I will let someone else to do it so I took the car to a carage and they could not find oil drain plug. I did not check myself but after they removed the bottom front cover they could not find it and could not change the oil as they did not have a pump to pull oil out thru the dip stick hole. So I had to do it myself, which is not that hard to do at all. Have done it 4 times to this car already but this effectively limits amount of shops where oil can be changed so just for that reason lots of these cars end up being serviced by MB.
Oil can be drained, my dealer drains. It does require dropping the shield. For DIY it will be a lot easier to invest in a suction pump. It also eliminates using ramps or a jack and stands to raise the vehicle at home. I agree about letting stumblebums who can cross thread American car drain plugs near the MB.

What make of suction pump do you own? Does it use a hand pump or air from your compressor. I have seen both advertised.

Changing the cabin filter in my Tahoe is no less difficult than the MB.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RSIKR
Oil can be drained, my dealer drains. It does require dropping the shield. For DIY it will be a lot easier to invest in a suction pump. It also eliminates using ramps or a jack and stands to raise the vehicle at home. I agree about letting stumblebums who can cross thread American car drain plugs near the MB.

What make of suction pump do you own? Does it use a hand pump or air from your compressor. I have seen both advertised.

Changing the cabin filter in my Tahoe is no less difficult than the MB.

Well,

I was wondering about the oil drai plug too but did not look at it myself. They did remove the shield but did not find the plug. It is interesting though that the first carage I took my car to did not even have a look. They just said they do not change oil in MB cars.

The oil pump I use is a cheap plastic $8 hand pump I buy each time I buy the oil from a Wal-Mart near by. About $2.20 cheaper/quart than at auto parts stores. Same Mobil 0W40 that I always use.

The pump goes bad after use if not flushed really well. Found that out after the first change when the pump would not work any more. Second time flushed it but was barely able to use it again. At so low price I just buy a new pump every time I buy the oil.

Pumping the oil out takes about 20 min. Would be nice to use an electric pump but have not found one yet.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Well,

I was wondering about the oil drai plug too but did not look at it myself. They did remove the shield but did not find the plug. It is interesting though that the first carage I took my car to did not even have a look. They just said they do not change oil in MB cars.

The oil pump I use is a cheap plastic $8 hand pump I buy each time I buy the oil from a Wal-Mart near by. About $2.20 cheaper/quart than at auto parts stores. Same Mobil 0W40 that I always use.

The pump goes bad after use if not flushed really well. Found that out after the first change when the pump would not work any more. Second time flushed it but was barely able to use it again. At so low price I just buy a new pump every time I buy the oil.

Pumping the oil out takes about 20 min. Would be nice to use an electric pump but have not found one yet.
I have seen two kinds of pumps advertised. One has a hand pump attached to create a vacuum. It looks like a bicycle pump wedded to a large vertical chamber that holds 8 liters of fluid. The other has the vacuum created by attaching an air hose to your compressor. I do not recall the manufacturer's name but do recall they were around $80-100.

Some time ago I found a video demonstrating an MB oil change using a pump.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
I have seen two kinds of pumps advertised. One has a hand pump attached to create a vacuum. It looks like a bicycle pump wedded to a large vertical chamber that holds 8 liters of fluid. The other has the vacuum created by attaching an air hose to your compressor. I do not recall the manufacturer's name but do recall they were around $80-100.

Some time ago I found a video demonstrating an MB oil change using a pump.
I just did a search and the pumps I was thinking of were made by MityVac. There are electric pumps available also. Perhaps someone on our forum has experience with these pumps.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Hand held siphon pumps can be purchased for a few bucks. These work excellently and are cheap enough to use them as disposables. Of course, they can be used many many times as well. Most of them are capable of siphoning the oil very quickly. I have found these pumps at wal-mart, k-mart, pep boys, etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
I just did a search and the pumps I was thinking of were made by MityVac. There are electric pumps available also. Perhaps someone on our forum has experience with these pumps.
I use the Mityvac 7201 for our other cars and it works well. No need to loosen and tighten the drain plug.

Just pump out the oil and remove and replace the filter - then done. I will probably try it out on the benz when I need to do the next oil change.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
[QUOTE=Arrie;5486001]Man,

I do understand that most owners do not service their cars.
My point is that American and Asian manufacturers make it very easy and intend for owners to replace the cabin filter, if so inclined. that's why the instructions are in the owner's manual under owner DIY section. Simple or NO tools required. Ironically, changing air filter and oil are not in DIY sections.
BTW, dealerships make more profit off service than they do off selling new or used cars. However, I still use only dealerships for vehicles I purchase-bad experiences with independents in past.
I do a lot of DIY household projects and used to do maintenance on my cars, so I have lots of tools. Not sure what a Torx wrench set is though. Cars got too complicated now. Also, can get oil & filter changes from most American and Asian dealerships for $25-40.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[quote=El Cid;5486995]
Man,

I do understand that most owners do not service their cars.
My point is that American and Asian manufacturers make it very easy and intend for owners to replace the cabin filter, if so inclined. that's why the instructions are in the owner's manual under owner DIY section. Simple or NO tools required. Ironically, changing air filter and oil are not in DIY sections.
BTW, dealerships make more profit off service than they do off selling new or used cars. However, I still use only dealerships for vehicles I purchase-bad experiences with independents in past.
I do a lot of DIY household projects and used to do maintenance on my cars, so I have lots of tools. Not sure what a Torx wrench set is though. Cars got too complicated now. Also, can get oil & filter changes from most American and Asian dealerships for $25-40.

Indeed they make more money from servicing the cars. That is probably why MB makes it difficult to DYI.

Torx is like Allen wrench other than instead of hex end it is a star end.

Just oil for my engine cost more than $80.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
I Just change my Cabin Air filter on my 2011 E550 today due to smell when AC turn on, very easy using instructions Posted by LEE16. It took me 20 minutes as first timer. just make sure you also have Torx 25 handy because the 3 screws on my car requires Torx 25 instead of Torx 20. Some aftermarket parts that sellers advertise will fit, may not fit W212 because they either missing part where the metal clamps holds the filter to housing or may have two closed holes rather than one open and one closed hole on top portion of the Filter Frame. I find out after removing the original filter try to put in the aftermarket one which is the same shape with exception the missing clamping part and two close holes on the aftermarket part. Most aftermarket fit W211 and older C Class mostly 2010 back
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 AM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by HOE550
I Just change my Cabin Air filter on my 2011 E550 today due to smell when AC turn on.....C Class mostly 2010 back

Did changing the filter get rid of the smell?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM

2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
Yes, changing the filter did get rid of the smell, the same thing happen when my car was @ 2,000 miles. At that time the dealer change it for me at no charge because it was under warranty and also at lot complains from other owners. I believe used of AC at high humid conditions likely causes moisture accumulation on filter leading to the smell. About 5 months ago when I took my car in for 30,000miles service I intentional didn't let the change it, because I had plan doing some of the service myself. I like working on cars, I did most of the maintenance service on my previous cars. I also replace the Engine Air filter with K&N filter..high quality compare to OEM. MB are little intimidating to work on but once U get the DIY instructions from members of this forum...no harder any other car. Just MB are built to discourage DIY for those who don't have confident in their mechanical ability.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM

w212
I'm planning to do the same (engine and cabin filter replacement). Good to hear that it fixes the issues. I just got my car last summer with 19k mi and the smell was horrible. Thanks for the tutorial.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Thanks for a great write-up! A small detail: when removing the black plastic underdash panel, after removing the three retaining screws, reach a finger into the square hole near the center rear, and push the plastic hook to one side to release it and allow the panel to drop down for removal.

The panel can alternately be removed with a sharp tug, but in my case, this method made a couple of small cracks in the panel near this hook.

My 2012 E350 had developed a sour odor emanating from the AC upon startup. I noted this odor on the old filter, too. A thorough application of Lysol disinfectant "White Linen" into the fresh air intake just forward of the windshield while the AC was running on max and filter replacement has eliminated the noxious odor.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
just did this install

freaking sucks.....not hard, but a pain in the @$$

the two little metal clips around the filter....history.....fell of somewhere.....

dunno how they get them off with out dropping them, especially that one in the back....
anyways i dont have mine them anymore...otherwise...everything else was ok

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Mercedes e550 cabin filter