E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lemon Law or relax and be patient?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
be sure to keep ALL paper trail, and i still say document a letter to MBUSA as that's the proof that they'll be sending to their general counsel if there's any accident/injury to you/your family while driving this car. +1 on getting mbusa involved as first move - the dealers WANT to keep trying to fix it because the service dept gets paid to keep trying.
PL
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I certainly do not mean to minimize your concerns. I would most likely feel the same way if it were my vehicle. More often than not, the situation is not nearly as clear.

You didnt minimize my concerns at all... No worries! As i said, I think you made some great points. A lot of people seem to take the Lemon route premature and it sounds like that just creates drama all around. I will say that the best advice i got though was to call MBusa and keep them aware of scenario. The way I look at it I have been more than reasonable and patient, so if the issue comes back all the legwork is done and my expectations are clear. Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
I too took the long route with MBUSA and they finally resolve my issues with a buyback. However, in my situation, I didn't have ANY safety concerns just a functionality issue that was never resolved.

Be patient. Document Everything. And let the process take it's course as long as you and yours remain safe throughout.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
be sure to keep ALL paper trail, and i still say document a letter to MBUSA as that's the proof that they'll be sending to their general counsel if there's any accident/injury to you/your family while driving this car. +1 on getting mbusa involved as first move - the dealers WANT to keep trying to fix it because the service dept gets paid to keep trying.
PL

There is some of the misinformation I speak of. Manufacturers have very sophisticated soft-ware for warranty claims. They track everything and identify "come backs". Everything the dealer is paid for is subject to charge back and their overall comeback rate is tracked for possible in-house audit. A very expensive process.

Much of their financial progress is based on a Customer Satisfaction Index and few customers are satisfied when the job is not done right the first time. They are certainly much less than thrilled to work on a vehicle for the same problem the second time.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not all Lemon Laws the same

Each state has its own Lemon Law, with California being the most liberal or owner friendly. S.C. more or less requires that the car be unsafe to drive or unable to drive after multiple repair attempts. No safety inspections so that is not an issue in S.C.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
My SECOND benz (the replacement) is now in the shop for the same transmission issue --

all the cards are in my favor now -- i have mbusa by the ballz .. either i get a working car, or i get $77k back, and they are in agreement

Just wrote a scathing review of my experience to the VP of sales for Benz...
Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 PM

2014 E350
Final Final Update...

Have had car back for a while, system seems to be working fine. Dealer called me and said that MB is "taking care of one lease payment" for my troubles.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by ats-1
Final Final Update...

Have had car back for a while, system seems to be working fine. Dealer called me and said that MB is "taking care of one lease payment" for my troubles.
Great news, and nice work!

Remember, if it happens again, time to get your cash back without depreciation, not worth playing with fire considering the safety issues involved here.

I just got a full refund on my Benz from Mbusa, no depreciation, they are a class act company

And btw... My former e550 is still on the rack waiting for parts
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Mercedes must be having parts issues.

I am dealing interior squeaks and rattles and there's a major backorder in parts. My dealer did the goodwill move per direction of MBUSA and took parts out of the a loaner vehicle.

Unfortunately that still didn't fix the rattle in the seat belt height adjuster area.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:34 AM

ford
I would like to recommend a website http://www.lemonlawclaims.com there one can get complete information about lemon law.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 AM

2013 e350
tell your MB dealer to check the wiring harness. I have a 2013 E350 and had similar random faults. they replaced the harness and all has been good. the replacement was under warenty.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
Originally Posted by Live Oak
That's a huge safety issue. I'll bet the air bags are dead, too.

Take a camera in the car with you --- photograph the dash.

The dealer counts on your patience. Don't do that --- delay can cost you your rights.

If it fails again, tell the dealer you will file in 2 days. He'll jump on it and replace the car, I'd bet.
^^^^ Do this ,video is even better... That is a safety issue . Tell them the mechanic can keep the car and give you one that is not a public safety issue.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
Looks like this issue is resolved not sure it was brought back to life...
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 e350
I just got through a lemon law claim.
I used lemonlaw.com.
It was all very painless. Everything took about 2 months all together from start to finish.
I am very sure had I tried to DIY the claim it would have gone no where.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 PM

Mercedes E350 2012
I am new to this forum, but I just wanted to say that I had a similar experience to yours. I was driving 60 on highway and my power steering failed. It was almost impossible to get it to the side of the road, for safety purposes. I called mbrace and they said it would be 2-3 hours before they could get help for me. At that time, I had been in my lease for approx. 8 months and had driven only 2000 miles. The head serviceman, in repairs, told me that indeed, my power steering had completely failed and was being replaced. I did not want to get back in the vehicle, even after the repairs were done. I kept the loaner longer, hoping I could get out of the lease. I was afraid to drive it. I called the dealership and explained the situation and expressed my concerns. This answer I was given was that it is fixed now and he continued to tell me that he had never heard of this happening. I picked the car up and 1 month later I heard what sounded like I was dragging a tree, under the car. The noise was so loud that I pulled over, got out and looked to see what had happened and saw nothing. I took the car back to repair shop and he had it for several days and told me that he just could NOT duplicate the noise. Since then, it has happened two more times. I called and spoke with the manager at the Mercedes dealership, where I purchased the vehicle and he was of no help. He called the repair shop and then repeated to me that service said they could not duplicate the issue. I have 10 more months on the lease and rarely drive the vehicle, because of my concerns. Just not sure where to go from here.......
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM

2014 E350
UPDATE one year later 3/7/15 (it happened AGAIN)

So...

Not sure if anyone remembers this post....

Long story short, IT HAPPENED AGAIN!! Driving home 2 days ago, lost power steering, ABS, all Pre-Safe Functions, SPEEDO, Cruise, etc. Dash basically lit up.

Here is the history since having the car...

1. This happened a year ago. Was told it was fixed
2. Picked up car, on way home happened again. They Kept car for 2 weeks, replaced 2k computer of some sort.
3. Picked up car, it was good for a year.
4. 2 Days ago, this happend again!!

At this point i am not sure what to do or even what to ask for. MBUSA compensated me with a months lease payment. (last year when this happened the 2nd time)

Thanks for the re-read i appreciate everyones advise!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Wow, after a year of being OK! How frustrating that must be. Sorry to hear about it. Does it qualify for a "lemon"?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:29 PM

2014 E350
Thanks for the response... Not sure what it qualifies for. Hoping for some advise before they call tomorrow and tell me "it's fixed, again". Bottom line, this is now the third time this has happened since I've had it. My main concern is that these are major safety systems failing, not just an annoying rattle or whatever.

My gut has me refusing to take back car based on safety concerns. I'd be happy just signing into another lease.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
I feel your pain. I had a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t that spent 4 months at the dealer out of a 48 month lease. Car would start missing on one cylinder. The replaced injector, coil, etc.etc. (finally ended up being wiring harness). Also replaced catalytic converter (twice), driver window fell into the door on a 20 degree day, rear window leaked, etc. etc. Audi USA was no help whatsoever. Only reason that I did not sue them was they gave me new loaner to drive during that time (I put a lot of miles on that loaner). I already had a 99' C280 which ended up never having any type of repair except for routine maintenance until it had over 90K on the clock.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM

2014 E 250 saloon
Thumbs up Limp Mode problem

I have a 2014 E 250 BlueTec 4 matic sedan, and I had the same problem that occurred about 12 km from home, the different lights started flashing, and approx. 2 km from home, I had to 'limp' home in 2nd gear with the engine stuck at 1500 rpm. The dealer 'flatbedded' the car to the dealership 140km away. At first, they would not provide a lender, because this was not covered in the road hazard coverage. I tried repeatedly to contact MB HQ in Toronto with no contact. Finally, I called MB financial in Toronto, and told the manager that I was stopping payment for the due monthly payment, then I hung up. Two minutes later, the dealer called me, and arranged a local auto rental which I accepted. It took 2 weeks to repair, and the vehicle was returned to me in my home town. An MB rep. contacted me the next week, I asked for a credit of one month's payment, and the rep re-contacted me a week later to confirm my request. In fairness, my MB dealer went out of their way to resolve this problem.
Originally Posted by ats-1
Thanks in advance for reading this and giving feeback...
  • 2014 E350 Sport
  • 6 months into lease
  • 8k miles on car (which I love)
So here are the series of events that are going down...
  • Doing 60, dashboard lights up like a xmas tree with all possible warning lights, ABS, Traction, etc. Litteraly every light possible. Lost speedo & Power Steering (assisted steering or whatever it is). Screen also had three rotating messages which read. Pre-Safe Functions not working, DO NOT change gears, Bring to dealership.
  • I bring to dealer, they give me loaner
  • Get a call to pick up, dealer said it was some electical sensor they replaced.
  • 10 miles down the road same thing happend.
  • Drop of car for second time and was obvioulsy like wtf...
  • Dealer just left me voicemail asking permission for his Shop Manager to "take car home tonight so he can diagnose and capture data on longer trip"
  • I called back and got his voicemail and said it was ok, although i think its a little *** odd.
SO... Due to the ABS issue and the loss of steering should i be sending letter to manufactuer at this point to start the Lemon Law process? I live in MD and i copied some verbiage below that is from MD DMV.
  • A brake or steering failure that was not corrected after the first repair attempt, and that causes the vehicle to fail Maryland's safety inspection; or
  • Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or
  • Any number of problems that substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle that have caused it to be out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more days
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!