Help: Roof Rack/Box Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Help: Roof Rack/Box Wind Noise

Hi All,

I mounted the OEM Roof Rack & Large MB Roof Box on my E350 yesterday in preparation for an upcoming road trip vacation this coming weekend. Once mounted, I took the car for a ride and there is some serious wind noise being generated from the setup. The noise starts being generated around 25-30 MPH, but is almost a roar at highway speeds (65-75 MPH).

Does anyone on here have experience with this setup and any suggestions on how to reduce the wind noise?

Some other info, I've got the box mounted dead center and as far back as possible. Nothing was in the box when I tested it out.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by lauer87
Hi All,

I mounted the OEM Roof Rack & Large MB Roof Box on my E350 yesterday in preparation for an upcoming road trip vacation this coming weekend. Once mounted, I took the car for a ride and there is some serious wind noise being generated from the setup. The noise starts being generated around 25-30 MPH, but is almost a roar at highway speeds (65-75 MPH).

Does anyone on here have experience with this setup and any suggestions on how to reduce the wind noise?

Some other info, I've got the box mounted dead center and as far back as possible. Nothing was in the box when I tested it out.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
I have not seen this box or the rack but I would go drive it with the rack only to see how much noise it alone generates as the boxes normally are made kind of aerodynamic.

Are the rack bars just square tubes or do they have any shape build into them to flow thru air without too much resistance?

I used to have a Tahoe and it came with a rack. The bars were like blades and did not make any noise that you could hear. I hope MB makes the rack bars this way but I don't know.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I had the same set up on my E class and don't recall any serious noise......my can was fully laden and I also had the sunshade closed with the music at a moderate setting.....

the thing that bugged me was the shadow the coffin cast on my light sensor; causing the headlamps to burn during the daytime....

I never did any experiments to try and lessen the noise that was there, didn't really seem like a big deal but I could understand it being annoying...

now that I have another model Benz, I did get new roof racks, but have not tried the coffin(large can) yet
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Thanks guys...I'll try it without the box and see if I can isolate the cause. If that doesn't work I'll load it up with cargo and see if that mitigates the noise.