E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

esc inoperative?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
esc inoperative?

Hey guys. So I'm having a little bit of problems with my car.

Sometimes when i go WOT, it says esc inoperative, shuts down blind spot assist,distronic, and lane keeping assist, and esp goes off as well. It will also happen if the car is parked and you rev it past 2k rpm's. After I restart the car everything is fine.

Do you guys have any input on what this may be? I appreciate the help guys.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
"Inoperative" means you need a diagnosis from an Indy tech or the dealership

It means that you are throwing an actual fault with these systems and I would get that checked out... I wonder if it has to do with the engine vibration such as a loose connection

When I had a similar error my 2014 wiring harnesses associated with these systems were found to be corroded! All were replaced
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
"Inoperative" means you need a diagnosis from an Indy tech or the dealership

It means that you are throwing an actual fault with these systems and I would get that checked out... I wonder if it has to do with the engine vibration such as a loose connection

When I had a similar error my 2014 wiring harnesses associated with these systems were found to be corroded! All were replaced
Thanks for the input! And you were right! Wires were found to be faulty and are being replaced!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by bob2011
Thanks for the input! And you were right! Wires were found to be faulty and are being replaced!
Glad you're back in business, happy to help
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL

This is what I saw a few days ago . I was in the intersection waiting for the lights to turn green . Nowadays, I am not using UP / DOWN buttons to manually shift the vehicle and even when without driving too aggressively this party breaker popped up ,the car was barely moving and felt power loose ,I went to manual mode holding the - DOWN button and it kinda helped me moving
Good thing, as soon as I shut the car off and restarted it again everything went back to normal .
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
On a different but similar note. I just had my brakes serviced this past weekend. Right before that, the past month or so whenever I would go WOT I'd get a red warning screen saying check your brake fluids.

I thought it was the oddest thing since it only would do it when I would gun it. Since I've had the brakes serviced and pads all replaced it doesn't do it any more.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by jahquan3
On a different but similar note. I just had my brakes serviced this past weekend. Right before that, the past month or so whenever I would go WOT I'd get a red warning screen saying check your brake fluids.

I thought it was the oddest thing since it only would do it when I would gun it. Since I've had the brakes serviced and pads all replaced it doesn't do it any more.

Your brake fluid level was low. Giving the car a GO made the fluid move in the reservoir dropping the level at the sensor location that then triggered the message.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by Arrie
Your brake fluid level was low. Giving the car a GO made the fluid move in the reservoir dropping the level at the sensor location that then triggered the message.
I was guessing that had to be it. First time that it did it I got scared as hell. I almost pulled over and got car towed but it still had good braking power so I was like it can't be too bad.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S550
Hey guys. So I'm having a little bit of problems with my car.

Sometimes when i go WOT, it says esc inoperative, shuts down blind spot assist,distronic, and lane keeping assist, and esp goes off as well. It will also happen if the car is parked and you rev it past 2k rpm's. After I restart the car everything is fine.

Do you guys have any input on what this may be? I appreciate the help guys.

Mine does this when my car is covered in snow and ice. I have a garage but a few nights ago I was parked outside somewhere else. It had snowed overnight...I got most of the snow off but keep getting those messages...Once all the snow and ice was off...everything seemed to return to normal.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC RENNtech Tune
Originally Posted by BenzV12

This is what I saw a few days ago . I was in the intersection waiting for the lights to turn green . Nowadays, I am not using UP / DOWN buttons to manually shift the vehicle and even when without driving too aggressively this party breaker popped up ,the car was barely moving and felt power loose ,I went to manual mode holding the - DOWN button and it kinda helped me moving
Good thing, as soon as I shut the car off and restarted it again everything went back to normal .
I get this error quite often. I still haven't got it looked at by the dealer. It usually happens on my way to work (within a few minutes of starting the car) and when I accelerate from a dead-stop. Some people pointed to my staggered setup as the issue, but I highly doubt that is causing this problem. I'm thinking I should get my ECU firmware updated at the dealer. The only thing is that my car is tuned, so I would have to get it re-tuned. Others have pointed to a steering column angle sensor and/or faulty accelerator pedal.

This is annoying for sure though. Sometimes, I have Hyundais and Hondas overtaking me.

Let me know if you get anywhere with this.

Last edited by g4benz; 02-16-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by g4benz
I get this error quite often. I still haven't got it looked at by the dealer. It usually happens on my way to work (within a few minutes of starting the car) and when I accelerate from a dead-stop. Some people pointed to my staggered setup as the issue, but I highly doubt that is causing this problem. I'm thinking I should get my ECU firmware updated at the dealer. The only thing is that my car is tuned, so I would have to get it re-tuned. Others have pointed to a steering column angle sensor and/or faulty accelerator pedal.

This is annoying for sure though. Sometimes, I have Hyundais and Hondas overtaking me.

I have Carlsson kit too but that should have not nothing to do with the light coming on given that I have been using the kit since I bought the car as new .When my next service is due ,I will ask the dealer to hoot up their STAR DAS device to see what was that , if anything is registered at the display I will let you know as well
Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BenzV12
I have Carlsson kit too but that should have not nothing to do with the light coming on given that I have been using the kit since I bought the car as new .When my next service is due ,I will ask the dealer to hoot up their STAR DAS device to see what was that , if anything is registered at the display I will let you know as well
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by g4benz

Most likely it's a pedal issue. The dealer replaced my accelerator pedal almost a year and a half ago and this issue never came up again.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Most likely it's a pedal issue. The dealer replaced my accelerator pedal almost a year and a half ago and this issue never came up again.
The accelerator pedal was replaced on my car in 2012 by the previous owner. If it turns out to be the same issue I hope they are willing to give me a discount.