E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2011 E350 Sunroof Gasket Damaged... Replacement thoughts?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE580
2011 E350 Sunroof Gasket Damaged... Replacement thoughts?

Hi all. My poor 2011 E350 Bluetec got covered in sticky tree sap a few weeks back. High winds and a freak rainstorm slathered my car in sap from a tree in a neighboring lot when I was out at dinner. Grrrr!

Anyway, I cleaned the car that night, and it's mostly fine. However! Yesterday I went to open my sunroof and it turns out my sunroof's gasket got covered in the sap as well. It got down into the crease between the gasket and the body. When I went to tilt up the roof, it stuck momentarily and then the gasket popped out of the glass surround. Of course, then when I went to close it, the gasket folded in on itself and the roof wouldn't close. I got out of the car and worked the gasket loose from the body by sliding a credit card between them. The next calamity: the gasket tore in places and when it popped out it stretched so I actually had to cut the end to fit it back together. Oh well, it was destroyed anyway...

Now I'm looking at replacing the gasket. Looks like I found the part: part 2 on http://www.mbonlineparts.com/parts/2...gramCallOut=13

Has anyone ever had to replace this gasket? It looks relatively easy... I think I'll be able to just slightly retract the sunroof and clean the body surround of stuck/broken gasket material, and then work the gasket into the channel of the glass. Though, the rear part might be difficult to reach at that point.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
That is a bummer! Is your car under warranty? If so have the dealer replace the gasket. Could you post a pic?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE580
You know, I figured it would be considered a wear item and not covered under warrantee... Yeah, maybe I should call the dealer and see if they'll cover it.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
You are seeking answers but I would try dealer as well. Because if it is done poorly by a shade tree indie shop ,your sunroof can leak in the rain .
May you get this resolved soon as you like