E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Infrared window opening and closure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E 350 4matic
Infrared window opening and closure

Does anyone use this function? And what do you think about it?
It works on 2014 E class and C class to my knowledge buy pointing the key at the drivers side exterior door handle and pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob to open all windows and the sunroof or by pressing and holding the lock button to close all windows and sunroof
Old 08-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2024 E350 W214, 2007 Dodge Durango Limited, 2005 Honda VTX 1300s, 2020 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour
Originally Posted by fantrl01
It works on 2014 E class and C class to my knowledge buy pointing the key at the drivers side exterior door handle and pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob to open all windows and the sunroof or by pressing and holding the lock button to close all windows and sunroof
My 2012 E350 has that feature but I found that you have to be too close for it to be very useful. I used to have an Infiniti G35 that had that ability but it worked from much further away and from any angle. It was nice to open all the windows as you are walking to the car to let the heat out.

With the MB I have to be within a couple of feet and must be approaching the car from the drivers side. It works, but it's not as useful in my opinion. Not sure why they had to use an IR sensor when they have a radio remote already. I guess the close feature may be more useful in the event you forget to close some of the windows or sunroof after you get out of the car.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Never used it, pretty useless. They should have remote engine start like most american cars. That really cools the car down during hot days.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350
Originally Posted by fantrl01
Had it on the BMW I replaced recently and of course have it on my new E350. I like it to roll all the windows down when getting in the car on a hot day after the car has been sitting in the sun. It's also nice to have on the occasion a window or the sunroof isn't closed and you're outside the car. You don't have to reach into the car to the ignition button and then hit the right switch. It's one of those things you like having once you get used to it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I use it almost all the time on a hot day or when parked in the sun. Very user friendly feature but you may have to be a bit closer to the car to work. I love it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
I like the ability to roll down the windows on a super hot sunny day.

One of the possible reasons for the infrared close range capability is liability. You can reverse the process and close the windows and sunroof. Trapping someone's appendage as you are 50 feet away?

With the Keyless Go you can't reach into the car and start it. You have to have your foot on the brake to push the start button. Prevents someone from pushing the start button accidentally or intentionally.

I personally have no desire to have remote start. If the car is running I want to be in it or next to it. Most of those systems are aftermarket. I seriously doubt MB will offer it as a factory option. Same reasons.

One feature I don't care for is having to unlock the driver's door or doors to open the gas door and refuel. Now even momentarily the car is unlocked and you are not in it. Ladies especially have had their purses taken while the doors are unlocked while refueling.

When I mention the manufacturer's fear of liability I am referring to the USA. In many other countries people are obligated to be reasonable for their actions.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Originally Posted by RSIKR
In many other countries people are obligated to be reasonable for their actions.
Truer words have never.....

The feature works better on my 2011 than it did on 2005. I tend to leave the windows open an inch or so on hot days to vent some of the heat. I use the feature mostly when an afternoon storm is brewing. Is nice not having to get into the car at all.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
One of the possible reasons for the infrared close range capability is liability. You can reverse the process and close the windows and sunroof. Trapping someone's appendage as you are 50 feet away?
The car already has this safety feature that will reverse if it detects any obstructions. You don't have to be next to the car for it to work.
With the Keyless Go you can't reach into the car and start it. You have to have your foot on the brake to push the start button. Prevents someone from pushing the start button accidentally or intentionally.
you only need your foot on the brake to start the engine. You can turn on the car by reaching in and pressing the start button.
I personally have no desire to have remote start. If the car is running I want to be in it or next to it. Most of those systems are aftermarket. I seriously doubt MB will offer it as a factory option. Same reasons.
when it's -20deg outside there are a ton of people who would not like to be next to their car, they would like to start the car from the warmth of their home/office and walk out to a warm vehicle. There are quite a few car companies that offer this as a factory option.
One feature I don't care for is having to unlock the driver's door or doors to open the gas door and refuel. Now even momentarily the car is unlocked and you are not in it. Ladies especially have had their purses taken while the doors are unlocked while refueling.
What?
You have a problem with this?
So you would prefer to have your gas tank accessible to anyone while your vehicle is locked. In poor areas, people steal gas from your tank, in rich areas peoples unsupervised kids pour crap in the tank for fun, if your in the mob your enemies will put something in the tank that will make it go boom when you turn the key.

If securing the car while filling the tank is a concern then all you have to do is lock the doors after you have opened the tank door.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I use it.
For me it's a "better than nothing" feature.
kinda like the ventilated seats (which the infrared also turns on btw)

what I would really like is when you lock the car, it automatically rolls up the windows & pano roof
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
never use the infared open. overrated IMO. Would prefer to have remote start so seat is cooler when I get in on sunny days.

The touch to close feature is nice to have as others have said.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
...the ventilated seats (which the infrared also turns on btw)...
It does? How?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
MB has had this feature for many years. My '02 Amg had it, and every MB I have had since. I never use it.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
It does? How?
Automatically (only driver's side), it's not sthing u can switch on/off.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
The car already has this safety feature that will reverse if it detects any obstructions. You don't have to be next to the car for it to work.

I know that, people sue manufacturers for non injuries, emotional harm watching the windows roll up. It was an opinion of what may have been the reason for the way it was configured to work. The motorized trunk lid closer will not decapitate you and will reverse also.

you only need your foot on the brake to start the engine. You can turn on the car by reaching in and pressing the start button.

To start the AC compressor you have to start the car, electronic key in and turn. For Keyless Go, reach in with the door open, depress brake pedal, push start button.

when it's -20deg outside there are a ton of people who would not like to be next to their car, they would like to start the car from the warmth of their home/office and walk out to a warm vehicle. There are quite a few car companies that offer this as a factory option.

Last Winter we had 26 days below zero. We also feature plenty of high wet bulb days, hot and humid, no dry heat here. I personally have no need for it. This is my opinion not a mandate for others. MB engineers think differently.

What?
You have a problem with this?

So you would prefer to have your gas tank accessible to anyone while your vehicle is locked. In poor areas, people steal gas from your tank, in rich areas peoples unsupervised kids pour crap in the tank for fun, if your in the mob your enemies will put something in the tank that will make it go boom when you turn the key.

A locking gas door is an excellent feature.

I personally do not carry a purse, nor do I leave valuables on the seat. There should be an option to open the gas door and leave the car locked. Lots of purses are taken off of car seats. Very few car bombings now, video, forensics and an aging mob. Not many people stealing gas anymore. Here you get $1300 a month, $800 Link card (food) and a free phone with 250 minutes. Stealing gas is work, much easier to ****** a purse off a car seat and use the credit cards to buy gas for yourself and sell gas at a reduced rate to others at the self service pumps. If you siphon gas by the inhalation to start method you could become permanently disabled and qualify for SSI collecting Social Security dollars for decades.

If securing the car while filling the tank is a concern then all you have to do is lock the doors after you have opened the tank door.
Exactly what I do.

Thanks for your responses. In answer to your question, I am not confused.

Last edited by RSIKR; 08-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM

e350
I'm really disappointed in the limited range and the fact that I have to be on the drivers side to activate it. But like others have said, better than nothing. Also, I would like to have the ability to close the trunk with my remote.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ph350
I would like to have the ability to close the trunk with my remote.
Isn't this possible by pressing and holding the trunk button on the fob? I swear this works on my wagon...
Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 PM

e350
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Isn't this possible by pressing and holding the trunk button on the fob? I swear this works on my wagon...
It works only on the wagon.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Yeah.... I had so many futile attempts to make the trunk of sedan close with remote. I don't understand why can't they fix it. It's only a minor software update that is needed. All the equipment seems to there already.
For now I'll use the trunk release button on the driver side door to close the trunk. !!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Yeah.... I had so many futile attempts to make the trunk of sedan close with remote. I don't understand why can't they fix it.
it can be fixed for less than $200.
But yes I agree that it should already be like that in the first place.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
LOL remote start or the "Standalone Heater" is an option that MB offers as a factory option in Europe. It's MB's own remote start which they've had since at least the early 2000s if not even in the 90s. They've never brought that over to the US though.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
it can be fixed for less than $200. But yes I agree that it should already be like that in the first place.
What is involved? Can the dealer do it? Or do I have to purchase something? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What is involved? Can the dealer do it? Or do I have to purchase something? Thanks.
This guy's module +$50 upcharge will have a window up and down feature. All you have to do is press the lock/unlock button twice/thrice (depending how it's set) and you can open and close all of the windows with your RF remote (not IR). Just send the guy a message and he can tell you more. I'm going to get it for my upcoming E.

His module can also remember the last used ECO position that everyone seems to complain about but not doing anything about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261300404921?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM

e350
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
This guy's module +$50 upcharge will have a window up and down feature. All you have to do is press the lock/unlock button twice/thrice (depending how it's set) and you can open and close all of the windows with your RF remote (not IR). Just send the guy a message and he can tell you more. I'm going to get it for my upcoming E.

His module can also remember the last used ECO position that everyone seems to complain about but not doing anything about.

Mercedes Video in Motion TV Free E C GL ml B A CLA CLS GLA GLK Class 2011 2014 | eBay

Each of the features(ie: window/trunk, ECO disable, and ALS) adds $50 to the total price. It's somewhat expensive since an aftermarket alarm/remote start module can be had for around that price with similar features except for the ECO disable.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Sorry, I dont know. There was a thread that discussed a module that could be purchased. I remember that it was less than $200 because I thought about ordering one.
I didn't order it because I was also thinking about replacing my car around that time.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ph350
Each of the features(ie: window/trunk, ECO disable, and ALS) adds $50 to the total price. It's somewhat expensive since an aftermarket alarm/remote start module can be had for around that price with similar features except for the ECO disable.
He can give a small discount to buy outside of eBay but yes price keeps climbing with more toys added to the module. But at least there's a way to "fix" what you guys don't like about the car than no fix at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infrared window opening and closure