E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Rear sunshade issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 E350 W214, 2007 Dodge Durango Limited, 2005 Honda VTX 1300s, 2020 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour
Rear sunshade issue

Anyone else with a rear sunshade find that it goes down a bit crooked? When I roll mine down the driver side slides towards the inside causing it to roll uneven. When it's all the way down there is a bit of slack on the drivers side still sticking out. I've inspected it closely while it closes and it almost seems like it's supposed to do that but it just seems odd. Anyone else notice this?

All the way up

Starting to come down. Notice the material already moving to the left.

Halfway down. Material moved even further.

Nearly all the way down and the material has moved over 2 inches.

All the way down and some of the material is still sticking out.

Last edited by marzillo; 08-28-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,331 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
That's a problem. Mine is folding at one side it now had a crease, will take it next week
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I will have to look at mine now. IMO that is one of those 'if I keep using it, it will break eventually' features. Just seems so fragile to me when it moves along so slowly.

Great photo essay btw.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 844 Likes on 610 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by marzillo
Anyone else with a rear sunshade find that it goes down a bit crooked? When I roll mine down the driver side slides towards the inside causing it to roll uneven. When it's all the way down there is a bit of slack on the drivers side still sticking out. I've inspected it closely while it closes and it almost seems like it's supposed to do that but it just seems odd. Anyone else notice this?

All the way up

Starting to come down. Notice the material already moving to the left.

Halfway down. Material moved even further.

Nearly all the way down and the material has moved over 2 inches.

All the way down and some of the material is still sticking out.

Coming down the top of the shade moved away from the side pillars because it is made to do so. The rear window is narrower at the top so when the shade rolls down the edges of it move further away from the sides. If you look at it you can also see those end pieces that connect the top rod to the rails move away from the shade as they follow the side rails that widen at the bottom.

But clearly there is a problem in this case as the shade moves way too much to the left and is left loose at the end. My guess is that on the driver's side the shade has come loose from the bar that rolls it in causing it to pull to the left and leave it loose wind on the driver's side.

I assume the car is still under warranty. This really needs to be looked at. Involves removal of the rear shelf cover and the C-pillar covers to get the shade assembly out.

The shade assembly is actually quite well built and it is a shame there is a problem like this. I took mine out when I fixed the middle brake light rattles and saw how it is built.

Last edited by Arrie; 08-30-2014 at 10:52 AM.