E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mystery Bell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Mystery Bell?

Each day as I'm driving out of my neighborhood at a speed of around 25mph, my '14 E350 emits a single bell sound at about the 2 minute point. I assume the bell must be alerting me to something important, but I have no idea what it's telling me because I don't see any changes in the instrument displays. Any educated guesses about this single bell chime?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 AM

'14 E350
Originally Posted by Sgooter
Each day as I'm driving out of my neighborhood at a speed of around 25mph, my '14 E350 emits a single bell sound at about the 2 minute point. I assume the bell must be alerting me to something important, but I have no idea what it's telling me because I don't see any changes in the instrument displays. Any educated guesses about this single bell chime?
I've got the same car and have noticed the same thing. I haven't correlated specifically with an elapsed time but now that you mention it I recall it happening on multiple occasions in the same spot which is about 2 minutes from my house.

This chime also happens sometimes in other locations as well. What I have loosely observed is that it happens on a curve or in a turn. Given that I've presumed it's some kind of collision danger warning of some sort but I share you being perplexed that there's never an instrument panel indicator along with it.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Sounds like the chime for seat belts. If you don't have em on (front passengers) then put em on, if you do, take them off for a couple minutes (you need to be in gear and driving so be careful :-) to see if it is the same sound. I don't know all of the indicators for that chime, at least that will get you started.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM

'14 E350
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Sounds like the chime for seat belts. If you don't have em on (front passengers) then put em on, if you do, take them off for a couple minutes (you need to be in gear and driving so be careful :-) to see if it is the same sound. I don't know all of the indicators for that chime, at least that will get you started.
In my case it's a single chime and much louder than the multiple seatbelt chimes. Plus there's no instrument panel indicator as there is for the seatbelts. And last but not least my seatbelt is most certainly on when I'm driving.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I get this if I am making a left turn in the right lane of two left turn lanes and there is a car making the turn alongside on the left.

The turn must reach a speed of >20mph to get this warning, so I assume it is the blind spot assist thinking I am turning into a car in the blind spot. It must be looking at the angle of the steering wheel and thinking I'm turning into the car in my blind spot.

Regards,
Don
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I agree that it is something to do with blind spot assist. If the car thinks I am to close to a curb or an object I get the same bell chime. When It happens try and see what you are close to. It took me a while before I found out what I was to close to or should I say the car thought I was to close.. Since I found out what it is when it does it I look around and see what it wants me to see.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E250 Bluetec
I was thinking it was the distance warning beep. Sometimes my car will detect something in front of me that isn't really a threat and will beep. But, OP states there were no dash indications. Distance warning will give the red triangle in the displays.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
you guys set the favorite button which is the star button as your home location. You have to turn it off on the navigation menu.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obseve your nav screen when this occurs. It shows a little circle near by. I drove to this circle as near as possible. It ended up being a camera. On a second location this sound occurs the same icon showed on the nav screen. I drove near it but coukd not see a camera anywhere.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
This happens on my ML which has blind spot/lane keeping assist. It does it almost every time I go through an intersection with a traffic signal that is about 2-3 minutes from my house.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by Substance
Obseve your nav screen when this occurs. It shows a little circle near by. I drove to this circle as near as possible. It ended up being a camera. On a second location this sound occurs the same icon showed on the nav screen. I drove near it but coukd not see a camera anywhere.
Mystery Bell - Solved!
Thanks Substance,
The mystery bell chime I've been hearing as I leave my neighborhood is directly tied to the "My Address" geo point I saved in the Navigation system. So, when I arrive at or near that geo point, the bell chimes and a small circle appears in the map display.