E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

ECO is absolutely 100% USELESS on the 2014 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4Matic Sedan
I have had my E350 since May and don't totally understand all of the parameters that need to exist before the green light emerges. Cabin climate and A/C usage must definitely be a factor since I have seen the green ECON for the entire week with mild climate. During these times the A/C was not needed to cool the car down. Temperature is set at 70 and unfortunately don't drive with windows open. I am not mechanically minded or speak in "mechanical or automotive ease" but this is just my observation.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 250
Stupid question time.

People keep talking about "the green light coming on".

In my 2014 E250 the only green light I see it a little green LED that comes on by default on the ECO button indicating the the ECO mode is enabled. When I press the button the light goes out and ECO is disabled. Press again and it turns back on.

ECO mode in my car just means that the car has the option to turn off the engine when I stop. Mostly it does, sometimes it doesn't. The green LED is always glowing even when the engine doesn't turn off when I stop.

Is this a difference between E250 and E250 ECO mode? Or am I missing something obvious here...
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by equetefue
The car companies wont let it lemon out. They will offer you a buyback after them admitting fault. The reason for this is so the can fix it and not have to title it as a 'lemon".

In my case they admitted the car was a lemon, but right before the lemon process they bought it back.
Preventing lemon law on a car does a few things I learned:

No lemon on the title
A warranty can be sold on the car easier if no lemon on title
Car's value drops significantly more if lemon on title

Buyback is much quicker than lemon proceedings which can take two years my lemon attorney told me

Glad Infiniti took care of you, a buyback without a major hassle speaks volumes about a company and their commitment to quality and the customer
Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
I hear you. Very impressed with Infiniti. Would buy another one for sure
Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by michael61
Stupid question time.

People keep talking about "the green light coming on".

In my 2014 E250 the only green light I see it a little green LED that comes on by default on the ECO button indicating the the ECO mode is enabled. When I press the button the light goes out and ECO is disabled. Press again and it turns back on.

ECO mode in my car just means that the car has the option to turn off the engine when I stop. Mostly it does, sometimes it doesn't. The green LED is always glowing even when the engine doesn't turn off when I stop.

Is this a difference between E250 and E250 ECO mode? Or am I missing something obvious here...
People are referring to the display in the speedometer, where it says ECO, next to the gear indication. This will either say ECO in yellow (system on but not all of the conditions have been met) or ECO in green (system on, conditions met, will stall the engine when possible). The button on the center console only has a green LED and will show green if the system is turned on.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Glad Infiniti took care of you, a buyback without a major hassle speaks volumes about a company and their commitment to quality and the customer
It's highly dependent upon the dealer you're working with. My experiences with Infiniti (corporation) are mediocre at best. Sadly, the dealers have been the (mostly) shining stars. It was the dealer who had to struggle to get Infiniti to cover airbag-related expenses under warranty (despite still being in the warranty period), who pushed for the fuel gauges to be replaced under warranty (120% failure rate on these in the field), and a host of other things.

When I went to a new Infiniti dealer for a repair and the dealer replaced a ton of things which were perfectly fine and never bothered fixing the problem, Infiniti corporate's official lines are "Dealers are independently owned and operated." and was unwilling to get involved.

I loved my 1994 Q45 and my 2004 M45 (still driving it and plan on keeping it even with the addition of the 'Benz), but I have no love for the Infiniti corporation. Maybe they've changed in recent years, but their lack of standing by their product when I needed them has left a sour taste with me. Add in their current lineup and 'Benz was the only choice I could find... and I drove everything trying to find my next car.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Banned

Uh, back to the OP statement. MB Eco mode is the best so far in the car industry. Some will like it, and some will hate it.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 AM

SLC43,E500
While my 2012 was in the shop, I had a 2014 E350 loaner and was horrified by the ECO start-stop functionality. I also experienced the full-on effective 'stall' at some most unfortunate moments such as while waiting to turn left at a yield-to-oncoming-traffic light.

Clearly, the ECO start-stop functionality is not very well thought out. I could imagine the possibility of something devastating happening as a result of the momentary delay during the stop (more like a 'stall') part of the cycle.

It is certainly good that it can be turned off manually each time with the dashboard switch, but it makes me all the more thankful to have a 2012 without this feature.

I don't recall the E ever turning green, though.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Have it on my '13 X3 and it is non-intrusive and responsive to start right up. Had an older C300 as a loaner (when I had my '09 C300 in for service) and it acted pretty much the same way. Don't really feel one way or the other about it and shutting it off is easy enough. The only time I find it mildly annoying is when parking and I'm not situated quite right but stop momentarily to reverse direction and it engages. I just make sure it's off in this case. I have yet to determine if the technology really saves anything, compared to wear and tear on starter, battery, etc.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

For those who really dislike Eco start/stop, here's a nice little adapter which keeps Eco Start/Stop OFF by default:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-Video-in-Motion-TV-Free-E-C-GL-ML-B-A-CLA-CLS-GLA-GLK-class-2011-2014-/261300404921?hash=item3cd6b7c2b9
Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by G3710
Have had a Q50, E350, currently own 535i M Sport, owned an Audi ( loved it ) never have had a lexus.

The initial release Q50's did have issues with their tech. Since then I believe they have had software revisions which corrected operating flaws. I did not hold on to the Q50 very long, I loved its interior and tech and the back up camera was much better then my 2011 e350 and was the interior. There was a few things I disliked and infiniti still has some work to do before they can be mentioned with the Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus level brands. I put them with Acura.

My E350 MY2011 P2, was a car I only kept for 3 months, I turn over daily drivers annually but I could not get myself to keep this car, also quick sale made it easy to let go.
I took delivery and unfortunately was dissatisfied from day one. I loved the exterior styling but could not get over the lack of tech and "basic" interior. Also MY2011/2010 had the 268hp V6 which just felt under powered to me.

Attachment 295343

Currently have 535i M sport MY2013. IMO the interior, tech and driving dynamics are far ahead of the current model E Calss.

With the new C Class, I like where Mercedes is going, they did a much needed tech overhaul, looking forward to the next generation E.

As far as the feature OP is speaking of, I find it annoying on my BMW as well, I always disable it, it stops the car at stop lights or in traffic when completely stopped to increase fuel economy. With the amount and type of driving I do ( mainly freeway ) I don't see any value.
I came from the same car, into the same car. Same exact impressions. Though interestingly enough, it's the Stop/Start system in the BMW that's of utmost UN-refinement (apparently they improved it after 2014). M-B's does seem more sophisticated. The Infinit Q50 is really nice looking, but I figured as with typical Infiniti, there would be glitches. I'm not big on in-car tech, I prefer a more immersive, connected feeling to the machine that the car is, but as long as it's done non-intrusively and complimentary to the entire experience, I'll take it.

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Quote from MBUSA regarding the ECO function:

So idk, I think there's a reason why the ECO mode isn't activated very often. Maybe future software updates will change it, who knows.
Originally Posted by El Cid
"Mercedes-Benz made special considerations when designing the operational parameters for ECO functionality on all W212 E-Class vehicles with the feature. Data from R&D has shown a large percentage of our existing and future customer base would be dissatisfied with an overly intrusive system, including stop/start functionality. Therefore, the final implementation of ECO mode is designed to be as Republican-friendly as possible. God Bless America."

Find it hard to believe that quote is from MBUSA, especially with the Republican reference. If God Blesses America, what does he do to Germany?
What?! LOL. There's no way that's real.

I've been feeling like MBUSA has been sucking the class and elegance out of M-B brand for some time, but if this is real, then this is just the icing. The CEO of MBUSA has been slowly but surely turning "MBUSA" mega cheese ball ever since he's taken over, imo. What especially prestigious company talks like that, namely bringing in religion, politics, not to mention being German brand to begin with? Sounds more like a meme for Walmart or something.

Last edited by K-A; 11-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by K-A
I came from the same car, into the same car. Same exact impressions. Though interestingly enough, it's the Stop/Start system in the BMW that's of utmost UN-refinement (apparently they improved it after 2014). M-B's does seem more sophisticated. The Infinit Q50 is really nice looking, but I figured as with typical Infiniti, there would be glitches. I'm not big on in-car tech, I prefer a more immersive, connected feeling to the machine that the car is, but as long as it's done non-intrusively and complimentary to the entire experience, I'll take it.

What?! LOL. There's no way that's real.

I've been feeling like MBUSA has been sucking the class and elegance out of M-B brand for some time, but if this is real, then this just is just the icing. The CEO of MBUSA has been slowly but surely turning "MBUSA" mega cheese ball ever since he's taken over, imo. What especially prestigious company talks like that, namely bringing in religion, politics, not to mention being German brand to begin with? Sounds more like a meme for Walmart or something.
I was citing AMGAffalterbach's post.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by El Cid
I was citing AMGAffalterbach's post.
That's what I'm saying. I can't believe that that would be a real quote as he implies? Would make for a funny joke though (if that's what it was). I googled it and it didn't seem to pop up anywhere, so that's hopeful.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by equetefue
Just lemoned my Q50s yesterday and picked up a CLS550 two hours later. The Q50 was a good car when it worked, but spent 3 months at the dealership out of the total 11 months of ownership. In the flipside the other infiniti I bought the same day last year has been flawless.

Loving the CLS so far, but the technology is behind the Q for sure.
You should have waited for the 2015 facelift. I traded my 2013 CLS which iOS like yours. The facelift model has new software, internet, and a tablet type screen.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
No Eco Feature in the 2015 ML550

Originally Posted by Munich77
I works fine on my E550 too - I think there are too many variables for you to hit the green area. Not that it matters - it makes a bit of a difference but if you wanted great fuel economy you should buy the E250 diesel.
Interesting. My 2015 ML550 was just picked up last week. There is no Eco function on it - though the manual talks about it. I have a "delete" in place of where the Eco button should be.

Having said that - I just don't care about the Eco function anyways. If I was REALLY worried about fuel economy, I would adopt the Fred Flintstone approach and run my bare feet under the vehicle chassis to keep it going "environmentally".

I have the feature on my 2011 Platinum Escalade that turns off 4 cylinders to "Save gas". What a crock! That feature really only works when you are coasting. And in a 2011 Platinum Escalade.....you. don't. coast. It was probably only ever added to appease the fuel economy laws in the USA.

I love the power of the 550 and would never trade it in for the diesel. In fact, I've been so impressed with the ML550 that I'm getting ready to put an order in next year for an AMG version of the ML. It's probably a little over the top, but SOMEBODY has to keep burning the gas in North America! Lots of people are dependent on the consumption of gas and I feel that I am simply doing my duty to support local markets.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Talking

Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
Interesting. My 2015 ML550 was just picked up last week. There is no Eco function on it - though the manual talks about it. I have a "delete" in place of where the Eco button should be.

Having said that - I just don't care about the Eco function anyways. If I was REALLY worried about fuel economy, I would adopt the Fred Flintstone approach and run my bare feet under the vehicle chassis to keep it going "environmentally".

I have the feature on my 2011 Platinum Escalade that turns off 4 cylinders to "Save gas". What a crock! That feature really only works when you are coasting. And in a 2011 Platinum Escalade.....you. don't. coast. It was probably only ever added to appease the fuel economy laws in the USA.

I love the power of the 550 and would never trade it in for the diesel. In fact, I've been so impressed with the ML550 that I'm getting ready to put an order in next year for an AMG version of the ML. It's probably a little over the top, but SOMEBODY has to keep burning the gas in North America! Lots of people are dependent on the consumption of gas and I feel that I am simply doing my duty to support local markets.

I share your sentiment. My E550 is the first V8-powered car I have owned. I LOVE driving it and really don't care about fuel economy. Around town it really sucks gas on the highway it is pretty good. Who cars anyhow - the car is about smiles per mile .
Old 11-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Apu thanks you for your business.

As for me, I wish Merc would bring over the E300 diesel hybrid. 75 MPG(US) and 1,300 mile range for an E-Class? At that point, I'd be willing to drive a hybrid.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Miles per smile

Originally Posted by Munich77
I share your sentiment. My E550 is the first V8-powered car I have owned. I LOVE driving it and really don't care about fuel economy. Around town it really sucks gas on the highway it is pretty good. Who cars anyhow - the car is about smiles per mile .

OMG! Very well said indeed! I LOVE your statement, "miles per smile"! Thanks for that!

The ML550 is the first car I've owned that I really enjoy driving. It's hard to explain, but there is a true pleasure to be had when driving a finely crafted machine that you just don't "get" until you get the opportunity - then you are hooked for life.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM

W212, e350
Forgive me if I missed this in the posts, but I want to point out a concern raised in the URL:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-stop-systems/.

The summary point is that the batteries used in many petrol-only cars are of the AGM of EFM types. Some tests have illustrated that these types batteries lose efficiency soon in their life under frequent recharge cycles. What that means is increased fuel consumption because of alternator load during battery charging. In other words, with those parameters, there may be no net gain in fuel economy for ECO. Does any one know what battery technology MB uses since 2011?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by Mj1pate
Forgive me if I missed this in the posts, but I want to point out a concern raised in the URL:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-stop-systems/.

The summary point is that the batteries used in many petrol-only cars are of the AGM of EFM types. Some tests have illustrated that these types batteries lose efficiency soon in their life under frequent recharge cycles. What that means is increased fuel consumption because of alternator load during battery charging. In other words, with those parameters, there may be no net gain in fuel economy for ECO. Does any one know what battery technology MB uses since 2011?
The main battery is AGM but it isn't used when the vehicle is stopped. There is a secondary battery in the trunk that powers things when stopped, so no discharge of the main occurs during stops. I don't know if the aux battery is AGM or not.

In addition, one of the parameters which must be met before the start/stop will function, is for both main and aux batteries to be at a high charge state, so, I suspect, no significant discharge/charge cycles result from the MB implementation.

Regards,
Don
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
I understand that the second (start/stop) battery is Lithium Ion.
I don't think that frequent recharge cycles negatively affect Lead-Acid batteries, my understanding is that significant discharge was the killer.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
Again my e250 is 2014 with only about 6,000 miles on it. ECO has been working just fine and I have no problem driving with it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM

W212, e350
Originally Posted by looney100
I understand that the second (start/stop) battery is Lithium Ion.
I don't think that frequent recharge cycles negatively affect Lead-Acid batteries, my understanding is that significant discharge was the killer.
I wouldn't know. I'm leaning towards purchasing an e350 MY 2013 in the next several weeks. Take a look at referenced article, which according to their lab tests raises concerns about certain battery types and frequent charge cycles. It's too general to raise specific concerns about MB.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Had a 2014 C300 last week for a loaner. Never saw the thing either but then again maybe I am not versed in its mysteries!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
AGM??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ECO is absolutely 100% USELESS on the 2014 E350