E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Stopping Tailgaters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500
Slower traffic keep right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM

2015 E63 AMG-S
Amazing that MBZ would promote road hogs. 5 over the limit or not, get the hell out of the way!!!\

E55AMG. 190SL
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes ML 350
Tailgater complaints ?

If you have a problem with "tailgaters"
Here is a simple and effective solution for you :
Get out of the way !
See - problem solved

Last edited by beerj; 10-14-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 PM

2000 SL500; 2009 C300 4Matic Sport; 2000 C280
Tailgate resolution

Years ago while riding with a friend in Boston I noticed what his ashtray was full of pennies.

When asked why he told me that when he was being tailgated he merely opened the sunroof and began flipping pennies up through the sunroof.

It did not take long for the tailgater to back off.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E63 AMG
I love those people that drive the speed limit in the left lane and take 10 minutes to pass a car and then don't move to the right because they are going to pass another car a mile up the road and don't want to break the speed limit. But if you blow by them on the left they will drive 20 miles over the speed limit to tell you how big a ***** you are for passing on the left.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
First, let me start off by saying that I get just as peeved at tailgaters as the next person - but with that having been said, I cannot say that I condone this gentleman's methodology because of its use of profanity which only begets anger (road rage to surely follow). My mother was nearly killed by a wreckless driver - so I have little to not sympathy for these maniacs on the road today. But even so, while this guy's approach may be cheeky and even funny, it's nevertheless not the smartest way to approach a tailgater. And standing on the brakes is certainly not the brightest way to effectively deal with the situation either (this only puts you, the idiot behind you and all the other innocent motorists around you at risk which, to me, is an act of utter selfishness).

Years ago I took a defensive driving course that was given by a retired NY state trooper - and he specifically and deliberately addressed this issue with the class. He instructed us to do either one of two things - first suggested tactic: Put on your signal and GET OUT OF THEIR WAY! And if this is not possible, then the second tactic (which I've used and it works) is to GRADUALLY slow down (the tailgater will eventually pass you). The trooper went on to point out that we (collectively speaking) are not in the position to judge the reason for the driver's need for speed - nor should we. This only creates an adversarial situation, a war of the egos if you will - and that never translates to a positive outcome, particularly when cars are involved (can you say "road rage" or "vehicular manslaughter"....sure you can). Even if that person's sole reason for tailgating is pure and simply because he/she is a jerk - the best and smartest way to deal with (and diffuse) the situation is to get yourself (and your passengers) out of harms way.

On the flip side of this, I can't count the times when I was in the passing lane and was being held up and back (along with a long line of motorists behind me) by a "squatter" in the third lane.

Listen folks - the highway is no place to practice your assertiveness training. If you're blocking the passing lane - get out of the way - THEN - take a good look at the car and the license plate as they pass you AND THEN CALL 911 TO REPORT A WRECKLESS DRIVER.

I've done this and, once, wound up passing the tailgater - who was sitting on the side of the road having a lovely conversation with the trooper that just pulled him over.

So to everyone I say this - Speed kills. I almost lost a family member because of a wreckless, speeding driver - but don't let their stupidity become your problem. Their speed may kill them, but it needn't kill you. Take control of your fate and simply get out of harms way. Don't let your ego rule your head - that never yields a good outcome.

p.s. Best bumper sticker I ever saw that addressed the tailgating issue:
"The closer you get, the slower I go".

Last edited by BenzManNow; 10-14-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Dumb is as dumb does.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
well said Benzmannow
Old 10-14-2014, 08:35 PM

2005 E320 CDI 1985 300 CD Turbodiesel 2021 GLC300 4matic
I solved my tailgater problems. I have drive cams in the front and rear of both my Mercedes the one facing rear is camera you would see in a store with a flashing light, I got it big enough that people SEE it. The closer they get the better they look is my motto. The big rigs are sensitive to the camera and before you know it they are a mile back. The cameras will record for 8 hours of driving before they record over. I only drive in the left lane when passing unlike the majority of today's drivers.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzManNow
First, let me start off by saying that I get just as peeved at tailgaters as the next person - but with that having been said, I cannot say that I condone this gentleman's methodology because of its use of profanity which only begets anger (road rage to surely follow). My mother was nearly killed by a wreckless driver - so I have little to not sympathy for these maniacs on the road today. But even so, while this guy's approach may be cheeky and even funny, it's nevertheless not the smartest way to approach a tailgater. And standing on the brakes is certainly not the brightest way to effectively deal with the situation either (this only puts you, the idiot behind you and all the other innocent motorists around you at risk which, to me, is an act of utter selfishness).

Years ago I took a defensive driving course that was given by a retired NY state trooper - and he specifically and deliberately addressed this issue with the class. He instructed us to do either one of two things - first suggested tactic: Put on your signal and GET OUT OF THEIR WAY! And if this is not possible, then the second tactic (which I've used and it works) is to GRADUALLY slow down (the tailgater will eventually pass you). The trooper went on to point out that we (collectively speaking) are not in the position to judge the reason for the driver's need for speed - nor should we. This only creates an adversarial situation, a war of the egos if you will - and that never translates to a positive outcome, particularly when cars are involved (can you say "road rage" or "vehicular manslaughter"....sure you can). Even if that person's sole reason for tailgating is pure and simply because he/she is a jerk - the best and smartest way to deal with (and diffuse) the situation is to get yourself (and your passengers) out of harms way.

On the flip side of this, I can't count the times when I was in the passing lane and was being held up and back (along with a long line of motorists behind me) by a "squatter" in the third lane.

Listen folks - the highway is no place to practice your assertiveness training. If you're blocking the passing lane - get out of the way - THEN - take a good look at the car and the license plate as they pass you AND THEN CALL 911 TO REPORT A WRECKLESS DRIVER.

I've done this and, once, wound up passing the tailgater - who was sitting on the side of the road having a lovely conversation with the trooper that just pulled him over.

So to everyone I say this - Speed kills. I almost lost a family member because of a wreckless, speeding driver - but don't let their stupidity become your problem. Their speed may kill them, but it needn't kill you. Take control of your fate and simply get out of harms way. Don't let your ego rule your head - that never yields a good outcome.

Why would you call 911 if your blocking traffic. If your holding up traffic and you have cars darting between lanes at 70 MPH behind you, trying to get around you, that's reckless driving.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM

1995 E-420

Last edited by Ascension; 10-14-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 PM

1995 E-420
Originally Posted by BenzManNow

Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 PM

LJMartin,
You completely misinterpreted what I wrote. I don't block traffic - but if someone comes up behind me suddenly and aggressively, I get out of the way and THEN call 911 to report their erractic, wreckless driving. Let me be clear once again - I don't hold up traffic in the left lane - quite the opposite. I'm usually out of the way before they get near me (if I'm in the left lane). Thought I made that clear in my writing, but apparently not clear enough. Hope that this now clears things up.

M

Last edited by BenzManNow; 10-14-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 PM

1995 E-420
Originally Posted by Rob CL
Orrr... You could opt for this!

c32 - YouTube
If you pull that round here you have a death wish. I can guarantee if you use that in the wrong spot here you WILL get pulled out of that Benz and beaten to a pulp that is if you are lucky and they don't just shoot you.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:04 PM

vw
I didn't understand what the Germans in the video were saying
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
My rules:
* First, slower traffic needs to move over ... even if the person behind them is speeding. The passing lane is for just that.
* Second, I'll happily let someone faster pass me so I can follow them (at a safe distance). I figure it'll be their speeding ticket and not mine.

Tailgaters are one thing, but how about the jerk-off that's behind you that can't keep the pace once they're out in front?! They pass and slow. It's like they can only chase; never lead.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Talking

haha, speed poaching! I love to do that
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

Tailgaters are one thing, but how about the jerk-off that's behind you that can't keep the pace once they're out in front?! They pass and slow. It's like they can only chase; never lead.
Or the d**m idiot you have to pass/let pass time and time again on the open highway?! You stop for a break just to let them get ahead only to discover they stopped one exit down the road...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 PM

2001 CLK 430
upgrade it!

Need to figure out how to use the shade but with the ability to change the message to fit the situation.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Mostly worried about being rear-ended by that tailgater, or an idiot at a reasonable interval who's concentrating on his text. My old BMW had unused rear fog lights that could be connected to the brakes. That would get their attention. But it looks like the Mercedes is too smart for that trick.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
I think the best thing to do is ,pull over emergency flashers and let them pass or pull into a drive way let them pass or just go slow or the speed you want to drive at and ignore. I would do nothing to agitate the situation.. PEOPLE ARE GETTING KILLED EVERYDAY over this road rage and bad driver stuff its NOT WORTH it.. Getting killed or kill someone over bad driving. STUPID.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM

09 C63 11 E350
Keep RIGHT except to PASS. Tailgaters aren't any more of a problem than self proclaimed traffic control chicanes hanging out in the left lane.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Less than .0000001%

Originally Posted by Safetyfirst50
Because somebody wants to pass? Maybe the wife is in labor. Maybe it's a Dr on way to perform a lifesaving surgery. YOU are the *******s, not them.
That situation is less than .00000000000000001% of drivers. Besides in an emergency, you blow your horn and turn on the flashers.
Tailgating is wrong and dangerous. Period.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Called speed LIMIT for a reason

Originally Posted by the58guy
Amazing that MBZ would promote road hogs. 5 over the limit or not, get the hell out of the way!!!\
It's called the speed LIMIT for a reason. Anyone exceeding it is violating the law. However, I do frequently drive slightly over the limit on the highway since I do not want to get run over.
BTW, it has not been a passing lane in 30 years. Way too much traffic for everybody to stay in the right lanes, even on roads with 6 or 8 lanes.
When someone comes up behind me and wants to do 10-30 MPH over the limit, I do pull over when it is safe to do so. But, I am not going to waste my gas and risk a ticket by speeding up so he can drive dangerously.
Happy Motoring!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by El Cid
That situation is less than .00000000000000001% of drivers. Besides in an emergency, you blow your horn and turn on the flashers. Tailgating is wrong and dangerous. Period.
May be true but we are not in a situation to judge that. May be it's a little less ominous situation such as getting late for a flight or having to pick up child from school. That situation may not need flashers or honking. Yes I agree tailgating is wrong and dangerous and mostly done by jerks. I found that moving out of their way is the best for all of us. Don't try to make the situation worse for the rest of road users and that person himself ( who may be under some distress himself). A lot of these can be avoided by staring a bit early but who are we to judge others. They will get their karma by way of tickets and accidents anyway. Safe driving to all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stopping Tailgaters