Stopping Tailgaters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Rob CL
Wrong... This type of thinking is the primary issue. If you're not passing, you shouldn't be in the [left] lane to begin with.
Originally Posted by El Cid
With today's highways, even interstates, you can't get all the cars into one or even two lanes. The 1950's theory of using left lane for passing only has long since become inoperable. Too many cars for too few lanes.
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for driving the speed limit in the left lane, not even in Virginia and I lived there at one time and travelled there often using I-95 and I-85.
you both make good points.......wish there was a way to get through to people......
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
With today's highways, even interstates, you can't get all the cars into one or even two lanes. The 1950's theory of using left lane for passing only has long since become inoperable. Too many cars for too few lanes.
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for driving the speed limit in the left lane, not even in Virginia and I lived there at one time and travelled there often using I-95 and I-85.
Again, wrong...I've seen many 3 and 4 lanes highways with plenty of room and some chit head is squatting in the left lane. This in itself creates a dangerous situation as 15 cars try to get around them
Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
I'm sure you're a decent guy IRL, but your logic is flawed and not showing much potential for improving. As long as drivers choose to abide by laws of self-righteousness, the debate won't end. Congested highways lend more reason to give way to faster moving traffic.

I also submit the following...
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'm sure you're a decent guy IRL, but your logic is flawed and not showing much potential for improving. As long as drivers choose to abide by laws of self-righteousness, the debate won't end. Congested highways lend more reason to give way to faster moving traffic.

I also submit the following...
Get in the slow lane, *****. - YouTube
IMO that cop was being a complete douche........and abusing the (small amount) of power they have.........would have been more effective to pull them and explain to them why he pulled them over.....then the cop just gets back in the fast lane? I see cops sitting in the fast ALL THE TIME.....usually with no lights, speeding and on their phone laughing and carrying on about something......I always make sure to get a picture of their car and call the department in which they work: as a courtesy call...

just the other night a sheriff from several counties away was in the fast lane, slowing traffic down and on his phone........like a douchebag....

it's their responsibility to set an example of good driving.......not chitty driving, and I hold them to higher standards......
Old 11-09-2014, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
It's so simple, I don't really understand all the debate. Slow traffic, stay to the right. Regardless of what that cop was doing or where he was going, he made the point quite simply and without the drama of pulling the person over.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by Live Oak
And, don't take this wrong, but my experience is shocking --- so often it's young women!! whom I normally give credit for being much smarter and more mature than the males of their cohort.

Yeah RIGHT! I had a 22 year old gf who would constantly tailgate (even if she was following ME). I would have to call her from the phone and tell her to give me some space or else we were breaking up.

Kidding about that last part.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
IMO that cop was being a complete douche........and abusing the (small amount) of power they have.........would have been more effective to pull them and explain to them why he pulled them over.....then the cop just gets back in the fast lane? I see cops sitting in the fast ALL THE TIME.....usually with no lights, speeding and on their phone laughing and carrying on about something......I always make sure to get a picture of their car and call the department in which they work: as a courtesy call...

just the other night a sheriff from several counties away was in the fast lane, slowing traffic down and on his phone........like a douchebag....

it's their responsibility to set an example of good driving.......not chitty driving, and I hold them to higher standards......
I agree, and I'll answer simply....

Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 PM

2011 E350 Bluetec
I typically pull over for them to pass. I then point when they are passing and feverishly karate chop myself in the genitals. If anything they will think of this when going to tailgate again.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Correct

it's their [cops] responsibility to set an example of good driving.......not chitty driving, and I hold them to higher standards......
Exactly right. An example of good driving by driving the speed limit as established by law.
BTW, the signs and laws for slower traffic to keep right are intended for those vehicles doing less than the speed limit.
No one has the "right" to break the law - speeding, housebreaking, car jacking or murder.
BTW RobCL, who is "IRL?"
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I also submit the following... Video Link: http://youtu.be/ELZQ-Z6lASI
I think the person squatting in the fast lane was the douche bag than the police. The police simply reminded them of courtesy to move over to right lane when there is a car behind them. Once again this is not a "right" but a simple courtesy to the traffic behind. You just are not in a position to judge others (why they are speeding). Please don't be the person trying to "enforce" law on the road. I always move over to faster traffic behind me. I feel that makes the traffic flow smoother and may be less dangerous. Besides the fact that I don't want to be in front of a speeding / tailgating vehicle when something happens in front of me and I have to brake...
Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 AM

SLC43,E500
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I think the person squatting in the fast lane was the douche bag than the police.
Suppose or imagine if something unexpected had happened in this specific case whereby the slow driver was forced to slam on their brakes to avoid collision.

The result would have been that the cop would likely not have been able to stop and if the video had been used as evidence against the cop, he may have had a very difficult time explaining his way out of it.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by v12driven
Suppose or imagine if something unexpected had happened in this specific case whereby the slow driver was forced to slam on their brakes to avoid collision.

The result would have been that the cop would likely not have been able to stop and if the video had been used as evidence against the cop, he may have had a very difficult time explaining his way out of it.

And that's precisely why I chose that video. It clearly demonstrates the flaws inherent in the rigid interpretation of some traffic laws.

Having a myopic view of a cherry-picked law (speeding) while ignoring laws meant to deal with faster-moving traffic, is no grounds for excusing common sense reasoning.

Suppose someone is moving like a freight train, approaching from the rear... No amount of arguing will undo the damage caused by them smashing into you at breakneck speeds (which is clearly wrong)...

So why not move over and let the "idiot" pass you?

And IRL is Web jargon for "in real life".
Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
On the tailgating issue, what bothers me the most is when I have someone right up on my tail, and I'm behind a line of 10+ cars. No matter how close the tailgater gets to my back bumper, there's not a damn thing I can do to make the 10+ cars in front of me move any faster.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
had a guy come flying up behind me today: so I got over when it allowed, and clapped him by, he didn't like being clapped for, so he started going the same speed as the car in the slow lane when I got behind him again........and continued this for several miles before I was able to pass and give him a taste.........and a taste he got.....
he was obviously in a huge hurry since he had time to try and tick me off LOL......

I was on my way home from a new dealership here in NC so I was in no hurry when I was being massaged in my heated seat with heated armrests LOL again
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I was on my way home from a new dealership here in NC so I was in no hurry when I was being massaged in my heated seat with heated armrests LOL again
Are you saying that you bought yet another new MB??? You must have tons of money if you are buying one new MB every other month.....LOL.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Some people do

Are you saying that you bought yet another new MB??? You must have tons of money if you are buying one new MB every other month.....LOL.
Read an article in a Toyota mag about one of their customers, in NC ironically, who purchases a new Toyota every six months. Alternates between him and his wife. Means each gets a model year newer each time. Just likes to have a "new" car with latest gadgets.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
hehe, not yet
was just visiting the dealer....only have been open a week and a half.....one of the salesman asked me what kind of car I was driving........my reply was..."seriously?" and he was........they don't have any S class on their lot yet for some reason.......but lots of the rest.....it's in Durham , NC
Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM

CLK320
guns??

people are FAWKED!!!!!!!
Which is why you should never ever leave home without yours. Its a far better thing to carry for a life time and never need it (which is what we all hope will happen, isn't it) than to not have it the day you or a loved one needs you to DO need it.

That situation is less than .00000000000000001% of drivers. Besides in an emergency, you blow your horn and turn on the flashers.
Tailgating is wrong and dangerous. Period.
If I flash my lights most flip out and slam on their brakes. I do not know about other states but in my state it is illegal (though rarely enforced, in my experience never) to impeded traffic. Especially in the PASSING LANE. To the best of my knowledge compliance with that law is not based on whether or not anyone agrees with the reason that car wants to pass. What is so hard about obeying the law? Why not move over let others pass while maintaining the speed they are doing anyway?
Honestly I do not get why some people are so selfish and self centered that they think doing anything they please no matter how inconsiderate, is OK. Do they think they are some kind of self appointed junior wanna be traffic cop? If so why don't they learn to obey the law instead of violating it? Are their lives far so out of their control they need to feel like they can exert some control over other peoples lives? The way rapists feel that they are exerting control over their victims? At a much more extreme level of course but still same dysfunctional mindset. Ever notice that when you pass them on the left they flip out like little children and try to cut you off so you can not pass? Like a lil brat looking for any attention even if it is negative look at me, look at me I'm important.
Now the baby killing low life scum bags that pull into the left lane to slow down so they can talk on the phone are in a unique class all their own. Since they seem to think their phone call is more important than the lives they endanger. Why don't their actions warrant the use of lethal force as they definitely endanger the lives of others with their insanity.
OK off of my soap box pet peeve of mine
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by Long.Rider
Which is why you should never ever leave home without yours. Its a far better thing to carry for a life time and never need it (which is what we all hope will happen, isn't it) than to not have it the day you or a loved one needs you to DO need it.

If I flash my lights most flip out and slam on their brakes. I do not know about other states but in my state it is illegal (though rarely enforced, in my experience never) to impeded traffic. Especially in the PASSING LANE. To the best of my knowledge compliance with that law is not based on whether or not anyone agrees with the reason that car wants to pass. What is so hard about obeying the law? Why not move over let others pass while maintaining the speed they are doing anyway?
Honestly I do not get why some people are so selfish and self centered that they think doing anything they please no matter how inconsiderate, is OK. Do they think they are some kind of self appointed junior wanna be traffic cop? If so why don't they learn to obey the law instead of violating it? Are their lives far so out of their control they need to feel like they can exert some control over other peoples lives? The way rapists feel that they are exerting control over their victims? At a much more extreme level of course but still same dysfunctional mindset. Ever notice that when you pass them on the left they flip out like little children and try to cut you off so you can not pass? Like a lil brat looking for any attention even if it is negative look at me, look at me I'm important.
Now the baby killing low life scum bags that pull into the left lane to slow down so they can talk on the phone are in a unique class all their own. Since they seem to think their phone call is more important than the lives they endanger. Why don't their actions warrant the use of lethal force as they definitely endanger the lives of others with their insanity.
OK off of my soap box pet peeve of mine
Alrighty then....
Old 01-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow drivers go to the far left lane because they consider it the safest of all the other lanes. Of course, in the end it causes higher risks for those that get irritated and pass them while deciding to take more risky moves henceforth. It is what it is...
Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
There are *******s out there who have car envy and they will do all this crap and more just to **** you off and get under your skin. If they ran you off the road they would be over the top with glee.
Any gestures or overt activity on your part will just encourage them.
They can't help it. They were born dumb as dirt.
Prepare to stop by slowing down gradually and pull into the first driveway and let them pass. It is always better to be watching the guy in front of you rather than have him behind you.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 01-26-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
@hyperion, bad *** sketch conversion of that pic of your cars... if my guess is right. either a cell shaded phone app camera or a filter from a program?

The highway and the city streets are a chance for us to be ambassadors for mercedes. I take every opportunity to let someone pass, help them merge or slow down to let them take the right of way beforehand. Some people are much more difficult not to get furious at, but dont forget the stigma german cars have...

I make sure i leave my sermons from John Maccarthur playing at red lights with all 5 windows down as i often do even in winter. I do speed and love to get around a slow person, but do it with class fellow mbworldians =D

Ive never been pulled over in 9 years of driving. I do stupid and fast things often, but even when I do ( in front of cops even too ) i havent gotten pulled over. Mainly due to the nature with which i did it: running a red light at the last second, going over the speed limit >10 mph, avoiding an accident or just hitting a corner with some tire squeal.... People can tell if your doing it with control or not, and if your doing it to be an *** or not.

So know people are always watching and were affecting more than our OWN likelihood of insulting someone by the way we drive who could be the: interviewer for our new job your on the way to interview for =D new girlfriends dad, who knows who that person is! could be randy couture... you dont wanna cut him off do you =D

I have the luxury of having learned to drive partly in europe. Germany, Italy, Switzerland. People are different there. They let you go around them, slow traffic merges right, NO absolutely NO passing from the right . which is rampant in america.

Guard your life gents.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I spent a lot of time in Germany, France and Switzerland and I agree. There is a discipline that they are used to that made many terrified to have a North American at the wheel of a car particularly on the Autoban back in the day when there were few controlled zones.
I used to plan stops for business based on average travel times of 175 kph in and out of town included. It was easy to do. Some days average speeds were closer to 190.
Top speed I ever achieved was 240 kph on the E5.
A German colleague who was nervous about driving with me from Stuttgart to Krefeld started out nervous and then said at the end of the run I was "ein tiefleiger" which I believe translates to test pilot.
The scariest moment ever was on the way to Hanover from Frankfurt. I was doing about 210 kph and looked in my mirror as far back as I could see before moving left. I had hardly move and I got a roadrunner beep beep. A VW Rabbit GTI (aka the Golf over there) at a speed of close to 240 kph. How it stayed on the road I wonder to this day.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E-350
Originally Posted by v12driven

As a message from all drivers who have at least two brain cells to rub together, stay the eff out of the left lane. We greatly appreciate it.

We, with German cars especially enjoy open lanes on highways. We don't interrupt your Bingo night do we? It isn't too much to ask that people like you return the favor.

Thank you.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Originally Posted by Russ103
...We, with German cars especially enjoy open lanes on highways...
Seriously? Really?

Nobody else does?
Better check on that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stopping Tailgaters