E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 E250 BT vs 2014 535d…OMG!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 EQS 580
2014 E250 BT vs 2014 535d…OMG!

My good friend recently traded down from 2013 BMW M5 to 2104 535d. I was blown away when I sat in his new BMW diesel and how luxurious it is and the layout of quality materials (seats, controls, lighting, comfort, electronics, navigation-screen)!!! My E-class cannot compare and it's practically outfitted to the max!!! I won't begin to tell you about the driving experience, and yes, I know it's a 6 cylinder (inline), but I owned a 2012 E350 BT (V6 cylinder) and none of my autos (E350BT and E250BT) can compare to the BMW (535d) experience…I couldn't believe it!! I want to know what opinions you might have about the design methods and philosophies of these two German competitors?? I'm seriously thinking that BMW might get my business in the near future!! Mercedes has very far to come-up with the W213…only time will tell.

At this juncture, (my humble opinion, of course) BMW has superseded MB in overall packaging of the product, even with the new themes as reflected in the S and C classes respectively (and they are very nice), MB will have to step-up their game in order to compete with the other German marques!

Len

Last edited by Sir Lennox; 09-28-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Originally Posted by Sir Lennox
My good friend recently traded down from 2013 BMW M5 to 2104 535d. I was blown away when I sat in his new BMW diesel and how luxurious it is and the layout of quality materials (seats, controls, lighting, comfort, electronics, navigation-screen)!!! My E-class cannot compare and it's practically outfitted to the max!!! I won't begin to tell you about the driving experience, and yes, I know it's a 6 cylinder (inline), but I owned a 2012 E350 BT (V6 cylinder) an none of those autos can compare to the BMW experience…I couldn't believe it!! I want to know what opinions you might have about the design methods and philosophies of these two German competitors?? I'm seriously thinking that BMW might get my business in the near future!! Mercedes has very far to come-up with the W213…time will tell, I guess.

At this juncture, (my humble opinion, of course) BMW has superseded MB in overall packaging of the product, even with the new themes as reflected in the S and C classes respectively, MB will have to step-up their game in order to compete with the other German marques!

Len
Len - the 5 series is a great car. Unfortunately based on my personal experience, a BMW does not hold up too well in the long term. I babied my 2008 535 xi and after about 4 years the coating from the interior surfaces was peeling off. In the end of course it is all personal preference.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
2014 E250BT vs 2014 535d

Having driven and owned numerous BMWs and MBs over the past 30 years, I know that both companies build some superior cars.

What I have learned from my experiences with both marques is that BMWs generally handle better than MBs, but they are not as comfortable for long distance touring nor are they as reliable as MBs. This is the main reason why so many taxi drivers in northern Europe prefer the E Class diesel to the 5 Series diesel.

If you read some of the BMW forums, you will find that there have been far more issues with the BMW 6 cylinder diesel than for the MB diesel engines. BMW 335d diesel engine problems have included spontaneous engine fires, turbo failures, carbon build up, etc.

A good friend of mine purchased my previous 2009 E90-335d and subsequently encountered numerous serious engine problems - over $15,000 in warranty repairs were required.

Then there is the issue of price. Speaking as one who is contemplating trading my E350BT for a 2015 E250BT 4Matic, I have closely compared standard equipment & options for both the E250BT and the 535d. Equipped with the packages and options that I would choose, the 535d Xdrive would price out at more than $10,000 higher than the E250BT 4Matic. Yes, the 535d would definitely run away from the E250BT. However, IMO, the E250BT offers better overall value, better styling inside and out (highly subjective), greater reliability, better comfort and greater fuel efficiency for long distance touring.

For many good reasons, Consumer Reports gave the E250BT their highest rating ever for a car with an internal combustion engine ! Their comments on the 5 Series were not nearly so complimentary.

Last edited by DerekACS; 09-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM

2022 EQS 580
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Having driven and owned numerous BMWs and MBs over the past 30 years, I know that both companies build some superior cars.

What I have learned from my experiences with both marques is that BMWs generally handle better than MBs, but they are not as comfortable for long distance touring nor are they as reliable as MBs. This is the main reason why so many taxi drivers in northern Europe prefer the E Class diesel to the 5 Series diesel.

If you read some of the BMW forums, you will find that there have been far more issues with the BMW 6 cylinder diesel than for the MB diesel engines. BMW 335d diesel engine problems have included spontaneous engine fires, turbo failures, carbon build up, etc.

A good friend of mine purchased my previous 2009 E90-335d and subsequently encountered numerous serious engine problems - over $15,000 in warranty repairs were required.

Then there is the issue of price. Speaking as one who is contemplating trading my E350BT for a 2015 E250BT 4Matic, I have closely compared standard equipment & options for both the E250BT and the 535d. Equipped with the packages and options that I would choose, the 535d Xdrive would price out at more than $10,000 higher than the E250BT 4Matic. Yes, the 535d would definitely run away from the E250BT. However, IMO, the E250BT offers better overall value, better styling inside and out (highly subjective), greater reliability, better comfort and greater fuel efficiency for long distance touring.

For many good reasons, Consumer Reports gave the E250BT their highest rating ever for a car with an internal combustion engine ! Their comments on the 5 Series were not nearly so complimentary.

Thanks for your opinion…respected. If I were you, I would consider waiting for the W213. I have the 2014 E250 BT and no issues so far (almost one year ownership). I would definitely recommend the vehicle, but was blown away by the very appearance and presentation of the 535d. I am fully aware of the CR article, I am most impressed and very proud to be an owner of the vehicle. I still hold my opinion that MB needs to pay attention to the finer details, as they do in the flagship S-Klasse.

Len
Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
I have tested BMW against e250BT. Yes, BMW is a good car but I decided to go with e250BT for reasons mentioned here. And I love the car.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Thanks for your opinion…respected. If I were you, I would consider waiting for the W213. I have the 2014 E250 BT and no issues so far (almost one year ownership). I would definitely recommend the vehicle, but was blown away by the very appearance and presentation of the 535d. I am fully aware of the CR article, I am most impressed and very proud to be an owner of the vehicle. I still hold my opinion that MB needs to pay attention to the finer details, as they do in the flagship S-Klasse.

Len
Good to read that you are satisfied with your E250BT. Unlike you, however, I am not impressed with the styling of the 5 Series, nor do I believe that the quality of materials used by BMW is superior to MB's.

Both in the USA and In Canada, the E Class far outsells the 5 Series. I have previously mentioned some the reasons for MB's success.

My primary reasons for considering a switch to the W212-E250BT are the revised styling (MY2014+), increased fuel efficiency, updated electronics, available 4Matic and solid reputation for diesel reliability. I do not wish to wait for the W213 which will be reportedly both longer and wider and will offer a very different styling theme from the current W212.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 PM

2022 EQS 580
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Good to read that you are satisfied with your E250BT. Unlike you, however, I am not impressed with the styling of the 5 Series, nor do I believe that the quality of materials used by BMW is superior to MB's.

Both in the USA and In Canada, the E Class far outsells the 5 Series. I have previously mentioned some the reasons for MB's success.

My primary reasons for considering a switch to the W212-E250BT are the revised styling (MY2014+), increased fuel efficiency, updated electronics, available 4Matic and solid reputation for diesel reliability. I do not wish to wait for the W213 which will be reportedly both longer and wider and will offer a very different styling theme from the current W212.
Understood!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
E350BT vs E250BT

Understood!
Besides myself, I'm sure many other forum members would be interested in reading your comments about your 2014 E250BT compared to your previous 2012 E350BT.

Do you find a significant difference in performance and fuel efficiency ? Is your E250BT RWD or 4Matic ? Any feedback that you might be able to offer would I'm sure be appreciated !

For the Canadian market, MBC only offers the 4Matic version of E250BT (base list $57,800). Similar situation with 535d, only Xdrive offered for Canada (base list over $68K). As I mentioned previously, the difference in list price between these two cars is over $10K, equipped with similar packages and options.

The only significant differences in features between these two cars that I could determine, besides a 6 cylinder v's 4 cylinder engine, are that MB offers 'dynamic driver's seat' option, while BMW offers 'heads up' option with the Tech package. I am not convinced, given BMW's less than stellar reputation for engine reliability, that it would be worth my paying a significant premium (over $10K) to purchase a 535d over an E250BT.