E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

iPhone 6 doesn't connect to my media interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11' E350, 12' E550
iPhone 6 doesn't connect to my media interface

I have just upgraded to iPhone 6 plus, and it won't connect to my media interface in my MY12 E550, anyone has the same issue?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
I think the new IOS 8 has some issue with their blue tooth connectivity. They say it was fixed with the IOs 8.02 update but I know a lot of people still have some issue regardless of the car.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:10 PM

11' E350, 12' E550
Make it clear, the Bluetooth works fine, but it won't connect to my media interface.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
I want to follow this thread as I am contemplating an iphone 6. Currently, my iphone 4s running iOS7 is working perfectly (bluetooth and media interface connect and I receive texts via the screen and voice interfaces)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM

2011 e550
I am also having issues with ios8, I just updated the iOS on my 4S and after update the car interface would not recognize the device.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 e350
I just got a n-used e350 with pro logic 7, I have a 2010 and an iphone 5 with 8.02 and was able to pair and play music without issue.

One thing I don't like is that the volume can also be controlled from the phone. On my other cars when playing music via BT it would always just be at one volume, buttons on the phone did nothing.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 AM

11' E350, 12' E550
Originally Posted by sghokie
I just got a n-used e350 with pro logic 7, I have a 2010 and an iphone 5 with 8.02 and was able to pair and play music without issue.

One thing I don't like is that the volume can also be controlled from the phone. On my other cars when playing music via BT it would always just be at one volume, buttons on the phone did nothing.
We are talking about media interface with cable connection to iPhone 6. And we know Bluetooth works, but the point here is that we want to listen to music using the cable, so we can have better sound quality.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
I have an iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2, Apple 0.2m 30 pin to lightening adapter, 30 pin OEM interface cable, 2012 E350 w/ Nav & Harmon Kardon audio. Initially I could pair the phone but not get either the BT functions or media interface cable to work. I reset the audio system and completely reset my phone, setting up as new-- NOT from a back up. Now all functions work as they should. In my case, I think my phone backup was the problem. I hope this helps.

Edited to add: I spoke too soon. Can I listen to audio via the interface cable using the set up described above? Yes. Are all functions operating as they should? Not so much. When I plug in the phone with the radio on, COMAND goes straight to interface audio, even if the music app is not running on the phone. In fact, the music app doesn't come on. When I initiate the music app, to try and control the device, I press stop but then within a couple of seconds the music resumes. Last, the album displayed on the screen doesn't always change with the song changes.

Also, I ordered the MB lightening interface cable but will not use it. The design of the plug precludes using the cable with most phone cases.

Last edited by ccryan67; 10-18-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
iOS 8.0.2 is not an issue in my 2011 W212 with my iPhone 5 nor my wife's 4S.
I have to suggest it is something with the 6.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:41 AM

2014 E-350W4
Originally Posted by sharpxia
I have just upgraded to iPhone 6 plus, and it won't connect to my media interface in my MY12 E550, anyone has the same issue?

You should check with the dealer if there is an updated interface cable or an adapter you can use on your existing cable.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:58 AM

11' E350, 12' E550
Originally Posted by Firestopper0383
You should check with the dealer if there is an updated interface cable or an adapter you can use on your existing cable.
Yes, I have checked with dealer, they said there is nothing to fix that problem, they can't help.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I know this seems like a non-answer, but it's worked more often than not for me -- Power off the phone completely, wait 10-30 seconds, power it back up. Wait for it to boot up all the way. THEN plug it into the car and see if it works.

We have trouble with Apple devices on WiFi and Bluetooth in our office somewhat frequently. It's not the access points / Bluetooth receivers in the building -- every other device plays nicely. Rebooting the Apple stuff seems to make it work for awhile.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

11' E350, 12' E550
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I know this seems like a non-answer, but it's worked more often than not for me -- Power off the phone completely, wait 10-30 seconds, power it back up. Wait for it to boot up all the way. THEN plug it into the car and see if it works. We have trouble with Apple devices on WiFi and Bluetooth in our office somewhat frequently. It's not the access points / Bluetooth receivers in the building -- every other device plays nicely. Rebooting the Apple stuff seems to make it work for awhile.
Yes, I finally got it work as you said it has some problems, but restarted few times now it finally connected, thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 PM

c220 coupe
connect iphone 6 through media interface cable

can't seem to connect my iPhone 6 through the media interface, works ok with bluetooth, MB in Glasgow don't know why and are not too interested in finding out can anyone help
Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by wonderwoman
can't seem to connect my iPhone 6 through the media interface, works ok with bluetooth, MB in Glasgow don't know why and are not too interested in finding out can anyone help
If you haven't already tried rebooting the phone, start there. Next, make sure the phone is unlocked when you connect. Not sure if Apple devices need this, but Android devices will lock out the USB port when locked. And if all else fails, make sure there isn't anything stuck in the Lightning port on the bottom of the phone.

If all of that fails, gripe at MB to replace your interface cable.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
If you haven't already tried rebooting the phone, start there. Next, make sure the phone is unlocked when you connect. Not sure if Apple devices need this, but Android devices will lock out the USB port when locked. And if all else fails, make sure there isn't anything stuck in the Lightning port on the bottom of the phone.

If all of that fails, gripe at MB to replace your interface cable.
'

I found this on an Apple support site. Maybe this will help.

ChrisJ4203 Sep 21, 2014 3:54 PM
Re: Same problems as others connecting my Iphone6 to a 2013 Mercedes E350 and a 2013 Volkswagen Passat. Apple needs to fix this immediately! in response to Sperberlaw I've communicated with someone having issues connecting an iPhone 6 to a MB and they found they had to remove the phone from the car list and then re-pair the device. Most of this problem comes from updating a device with the backup of an older phone. The phone retains the same name from the old phone, but there is a different hardware address when the device tries to connect to the car. Generally removing the vehicle from the Bluetooth list on the phone and then removing the phone from the list in the car and then putting both back into discovery mode corrects it. An additional step of resetting network settings on the phone may be necessary as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:40 AM

2013 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
'

I found this on an Apple support site. Maybe this will help.

ChrisJ4203 Sep 21, 2014 3:54 PM
Re: Same problems as others connecting my Iphone6 to a 2013 Mercedes E350 and a 2013 Volkswagen Passat. Apple needs to fix this immediately! in response to Sperberlaw I've communicated with someone having issues connecting an iPhone 6 to a MB and they found they had to remove the phone from the car list and then re-pair the device. Most of this problem comes from updating a device with the backup of an older phone. The phone retains the same name from the old phone, but there is a different hardware address when the device tries to connect to the car. Generally removing the vehicle from the Bluetooth list on the phone and then removing the phone from the list in the car and then putting both back into discovery mode corrects it. An additional step of resetting network settings on the phone may be necessary as well.
Thanks for the tip, but wow, that's a lot of steps! I'll keep your post in mind in case the issue comes up one day. And I have a feeling that it might...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:02 AM

2013 E350 P1, Sport, Rear Spoiler
2013 E350 and 2014 C250, iPhone 6, 8.1.2, works perfectly in both cars.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:20 AM

2014 E-350W4
That 30 pin cable to 8 Pin cable adapter for the Media Interface Cable in your car can be found here. Purchased 2 and they work great.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/30-pin-...d_p744955.html
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM

07 c280
Bluetooth Audio

Bringing back this topic as people never seem to post an accurate or precise answer. Bought 2010 ML350. iPhone 6 connects to MB Bluetooth, and able to use car for phone calls. However, I can't figure out how to use Bluetooth audio.

The following link has a very limited info under Bluetooth audio tab:

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...-_2011/faq/~bt

Does this mean I have to connect the iPhone 6 through the media interface cable first before Bluetooth audio works? Improve so what other steps I need to take aside from just connecting the cable?

Also the car comes with the 30 pin connector so I presume I need the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter. Does the generic China ones work for 2-4 bucks or do I need an apple one? Anyone had experience with this?

Thank you for all the help. Maybe someone can put an end to this madness and people can refer to this thread to get answers.

P.s. I am looking for answers to above questions not alternate solutions such as buying few hundred dollar cable from dealer, etc...
Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by BurakTan

Does this mean I have to connect the iPhone 6 through the media interface cable first before Bluetooth audio works?
No. BT connection works independent of cable.

Improve so what other steps I need to take aside from just connecting the cable?
BT Pairing is independent of the cable. Cable connection yields better audio connection and other functions. Phone BT could be turned off when connected with cable. It is independent.

Also the car comes with the 30 pin connector so I presume I need the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter. Does the generic China ones work for 2-4 bucks or do I need an apple one? Anyone had experience with this?

You need the correct 30 pin to Lightning adapter cable. Some cheap cables contain the chip necessary to work correctly. Some don not. Quality control is all over the board with the cheap cables. Some work fine. Some do not. Rarely an Apple connector will not work out of the box. If so, it is a simple mater to return it and get one that works.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM

07 c280
Thank you, few other questions

Originally Posted by KarlG
Good luck.
On a website called: Mercedes-benz-mobile.com

Once I select M class (Year 09-11) states that THERE IS Bluetooth Audio. But when I go to Comand menu and click Audio, I do not see Bluetooth Audio as an option. Is that something that needs to be turned on from Engineering Menu? If so any idea how to do it?

The other option I was considering was to get an A2DP Bluetooth device to hook it up to the iPod connector cable, if I CAN 100% figure out that my car doesn't have bluetooth audio. (Side Note: It just doesn't make sense how you could have bluetooth capability with phone calls but not have bluetooth audio.)

A2DP Bluetooth suggests it turns any old/30 pin speaker into a bluetooth device. But there is not enough buzz about it on Mercedes users, so i don't know if it is worth ordering.

So bottom line questions:

1. how to figure out/enable if my car has bluetooth audio? (2010 ML 350 has MIP and UCI)
2. if car doesn't have bluetooth audio (which is a downer) can i use a A2DP bluetooth device to connect to the old 30 pin i pad cable to make it bluetooth?

This is driving me crazy. Please HELP
Burak
Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BurakTan
On a website called: Mercedes-benz-mobile.com

Once I select M class (Year 09-11) states that THERE IS Bluetooth Audio. But when I go to Comand menu and click Audio, I do not see Bluetooth Audio as an option. Is that something that needs to be turned on from Engineering Menu? If so any idea how to do it?

The other option I was considering was to get an A2DP Bluetooth device to hook it up to the iPod connector cable, if I CAN 100% figure out that my car doesn't have bluetooth audio. (Side Note: It just doesn't make sense how you could have bluetooth capability with phone calls but not have bluetooth audio.)

A2DP Bluetooth suggests it turns any old/30 pin speaker into a bluetooth device. But there is not enough buzz about it on Mercedes users, so i don't know if it is worth ordering.

So bottom line questions:

1. how to figure out/enable if my car has bluetooth audio? (2010 ML 350 has MIP and UCI)
2. if car doesn't have bluetooth audio (which is a downer) can i use a A2DP bluetooth device to connect to the old 30 pin i pad cable to make it bluetooth?

This is driving me crazy. Please HELP
Burak
The owner's section of MB has instructions. You pair the BT for the phone in the phone submenu in the command. You can easily ask MB or your dealer if your auto supports A2DP audio. The website suggests that music streaming is not supported (A2DP). Hopefully someone will know about your other questions.

Last edited by KarlG; 03-28-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 AM

07 c280
Originally Posted by KarlG
The owner's section of MB has instructions. You pair the BT for the phone in the phone submenu in the command. You can easily ask MB or your dealer if your auto supports A2DP audio. The website suggests that music streaming is not supported (A2DP). Hopefully someone will know about your other questions.
Thanks Karl. I found other M class threads suggesting M class didn't come up with Bluetooth Audio until 2013. Crazy huh?

I hope the device I bought online turns the iPod integration cable into a bluetooth connection (2nd bluetooth). Some other people said they used it in their vehicles with success, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Once I receive it, UNLIKE OTHERS, I WILL REPORT BACK, so people can read and learn either way. So many threads, people say they will come back and inform people but then NOTHING. LOLOL
Old 03-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Hopefully, it will work. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPhone 6 doesn't connect to my media interface