Comand Firmware???? 2011 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes Benz E350
Comand Firmware???? 2011 E350

Good evening,

Thus has been driving me nuts ever since I bought my car to months ago. I wanted to update my firmware on my comand and brought it into the dealership and they told me not to and they don't really understand what I am talking about as well. I tell them I do not want to get a upgrade for my maps but upgrade my firmware because from what it looks, it was never upgraded during the warranty period from the pervious owner. I know it will cost me money to do this but what is the current version and how do I force them to update my comand firmware so I can get all the other features that I am missing that a car half the price of mine have.... I have seen some people on this forum that has been successful in getting the dealership to understand and do it for them but many as frustrated as I am with them. Also what is the current version of the firmware? Is there anything else I should know. Thank you ery much for any and all help!!

Best,

Bobby
Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Is there any particular feature you are concerned about? What function are you missing out on? This is not an iPhone that needs update every year.... Just kidding.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 AM

2011 Mercedes Benz E350
Everything that is on this site that I should be able to do on the new update, plus be able to stream my music on my Bluetooth....

http://bluedunapp.blogspot.com/2012/04/mb-comand-online-and-android-phones.html?m=1

Thanks.

Best,

Bobby
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Where are you located and what is the build date of your car?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
from reading some posts on the subject, the dealership upgraded the software when presented with a problem that required that kind of fix. They don't understand the upgrade concept, only fixing an issue. For example, you could say the bluetooth phone connection goes in/out all the time and you've tried using different phones to no avail, etc. then they might flash the latest software to fix that 'glitch' and that update may contain bluetooth audio you are missing. good luck.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thefisch
from reading some posts on the subject, the dealership upgraded the software when presented with a problem that required that kind of fix. They don't understand the upgrade concept, only fixing an issue. For example, you could say the bluetooth phone connection goes in/out all the time and you've tried using different phones to no avail, etc. then they might flash the latest software to fix that 'glitch' and that update may contain bluetooth audio you are missing. good luck.
You are assuming of course that his car can be flashed to the latest software and that he is an area where he can take advantage of the features he linked to.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 AM

2011 E350 convertible
"he is an area where he can take advantage of the features he linked to"

You mean like close to his IPhone?? Like every 2011 E350 owner will would like the simple option of playing music with bluetooth. The MB service dept. do not want to upgrade the firmware. I bought my E350 last week with a warranty. As a new MD owner I'm starting to regret it. The service dept. know nothing about the COMAND system in the cars they service.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2015 S550 4MATIC
I was able to negotiate the latest command software upgrade and map update as part on my deal. My MB dealer was more than happy to accommodate me. They id have to hook my car up to a computer and leave it running almost 5 hours while it updated, but when they were done I could see from the command screen it was the latest version.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by weatherman1

You mean like close to his IPhone?? Like every 2011 E350 owner will would like the simple option of playing music with bluetooth. The MB service dept. do not want to upgrade the firmware. I bought my E350 last week with a warranty. As a new MD owner I'm starting to regret it. The service dept. know nothing about the COMAND system in the cars they service.

If your dealer is a true MB dealer with the true MB service department they know everything about the Comand they need to know. Like that there are update software versions for these cars.

A true problem you have with your original software is with navigation. If you set a destination and go driving and then want to set a stop over, like gas station. When you look for the Points Of Interest and select a gas station the system gives you a list of them. You, of course, want to select one that does not take you too far from your route so when you select one you can go to the MAP tab at the bottom left corner and you can see this selection location on the map. This is very handy on interstate highway driving where you don't want to go in some small road traffic jams.

The problem with the original software that you obviously have is that the MAP tab is grayed out and does not work. You can ask your dealer to update the software so this tab starts to work like it does on all cars I believe 2012 models and up. It just is that this software fix will also enable the Bluetooth audio streaming.

This MAP tab not working correctly is a real problem. You can demonstrate this to your service advisor and then go drive with him in a newer model that works correctly.

Does MB still do the 7 day return, i.e. Let you cancel the deal in a week. When did you buy it?

Last edited by Arrie; 10-23-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by weatherman1

Let's start out with the basics.
  • There are different hardware versions of COMAND depending on when the car was built and some features aren't available on all versions.
  • The "latest" software depends on what hardware version you have.
  • Some features are only available in Europe or may be limited depending on call phone carrier.
  • It looks like the OP was looking for a lot more than BT streaming.
Which MB dealer did you buy your car from? What specifically did they not know?

We are always looking for the "latest" software versions but sometimes they just don't work on our cars - just like you can't the touch screen portion of Win 8 to work on a computer designed for Windows XP.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:39 PM

2011 E350 convertible
I just got the firmware/software upgraded on my 2011 E350. As a new owner to MB i was shocked at the lack of customer service at three dealerships. I drove an hour to find an amazing dealer who helped me get the upgrade. I also got 'lucky' in that I had glitches with the COMAND unit so they needed to do something(either update or replace the unit.)
I have a friend who worked in MB service dept. He told me MB doesn't want to do the update and will go as far as play dumb so they don't have to do the work. The unit is actually made by Mitsubishi and requires a certain tech knowledge to update. Good luck to those looking for upgrade. With the right Google search you can find the firmware CD's on the net too.

I hope someone from MB reads this forum. Get off your arrogant and aloof high horse and realize your customers are your bread and butter.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Good job. Glad that everything is up to your satisfaction now.