Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
May not be helpful

Originally Posted by f350bob9
So I'm new to luxury cars and want to replace my trusted Volvo wagon with a new E350 wagon. My very well off friend is trying to turn me away from MB. He drives a 750 IL along with a Maserati, his brother had a Maybach and GL550. Both had major issues and the GL went died on a NJ expressway that was later bought back by MB.
Granted some cars are lemons but they really want me to look at BMW as they claim fewer problems but the 3 series wagon is to small.
What should I do? Look at the X-5 or continue my dream of owning a MB! Thanks for your thoughts!
As you have no doubt discovered, sometimes this forum can deviate greatly from your original posts. You will also discover that many will divide into those who are very biased toward or against a certain make or model. Some of us are too quick to express opinions that probably aren't very helpful in assisting you with your concern.
Good luck on your search for a vehicle. Take a long time, try them all and do a lot of research-both online and in publications. It took me over a year to decide on an E350 Luxury sedan and I seriously considered six differnt makes and about ten different models. I did not ask for advice here-and probably better off for it.
Happy Motoring!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Exactly, let's stick to the OPs original discussion. Test drives on multiple makes and models are an answer for solving your question. There is no single car which fits everyone. You have to find the one that fits best to YOU esp regarding your driving style, ride comfort and perception of build quality (most are subjective). We all did the same and zeroed in on the E class. See which one works out for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volvo 960
So wow thanks everyone, I'm really grateful for all your thoughts.
El Cid; I'll look at the guides and reviews and I like the front end design alot on the face lifted E class especially the sport design.
C280sport; I would order the exact car as I plan on keeping it 5-7 yrs.
MBNut1; the extended warranty is likely with all the tech in these cars.
Sportstick; My volvo was the last rear drive wagon and ended up almost bomb proof over the last 18 yrs and 160K miles.
Arrie; the Q7 is on our list to drive.
Hyperion and K-A; my gut likes MB.
YYZ-E55; I have seen the reviews that suv's are truck based and the wagon is more like a car thanks.
Beshannon; understand your take on your BMW's being a money pit.
DerekACS; wanting a wagon, its obvious that MB is at the top.

As I said the E350 wagon I drove was amazing, didn't mind the Eco and understand it works only when engine temps, outdoor temp vs. inside temp and etc are in the guidelines. I found the paddle shifting alittle odd as my superduty has manual mode and only down/up shifts when in low/high rpm ranges. The MB allowed me to manual shift easy but after some 10 seconds it went back into auto mode, something I would get used to.
My dad's 3 series is very nice but the eco function is more obvious than the E classes. I have not tried the X5 yet or the others mentioned but we are working on this but the idea of euro delivery and etc is very high now on my list and some of the options like the X5 I believe are not possible that way...Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted......bob
Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
To the OP: Compare Mercedes vs. BMW used prices and you'll see what the masses think. I've not driven wagon versions of these cars, but for the 5 series, I found the Merc E had a better road feel. The 5 felt too disconnected for my tastes. I'm a techie yet I found the BMW menus less than optimal. I also found the stop-/start on the 5 to be rougher.

Originally Posted by DerekACS
You have placed yourself in a tiny minority by describing the "new front ends of the MB 'C' and 'E' classes" as "awful". Most automotive reviewers have given both the facelift E Class and the new C very strong ratings for exterior design.
Must be a regional thing... At least in my area, most people I know who've seen the new "sport" face of the car think it's hideous. And the idea of a Sport Taxi still is laughable in my mind.

That's why I ordered a Luxury version of it. Park it next to an S and at least from the front half of the car it's difficult to distinguish the two. Take a closer look and it'll be apparent, but not blatantly obvious.

I also think the new "sport" instrument cluster looks cheap, which fortunately is remedied with the Luxury trim as well.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
So I'm new to luxury cars and want to replace my trusted Volvo wagon with a new E350 wagon. My very well off friend is trying to turn me away from MB. He drives a 750 IL along with a Maserati, his brother had a Maybach and GL550. Both had major issues and the GL went died on a NJ expressway that was later bought back by MB.
Granted some cars are lemons but they really want me to look at BMW as they claim fewer problems but the 3 series wagon is to small.
What should I do? Look at the X-5 or continue my dream of owning a MB! Thanks for your thoughts!
I also have a beloved Volvo V70 wagon. My other cars are Mercedes and always will be. I am also a former BMW owner and I live in the town where they make the X series SUV's.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good Choice

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
To the OP: Compare Mercedes vs. BMW used prices and you'll see what the masses think. I've not driven wagon versions of these cars, but for the 5 series, I found the Merc E had a better road feel. The 5 felt too disconnected for my tastes. I'm a techie yet I found the BMW menus less than optimal. I also found the stop-/start on the 5 to be rougher.

Must be a regional thing... At least in my area, most people I know who've seen the new "sport" face of the car think it's hideous. And the idea of a Sport Taxi still is laughable in my mind.

That's why I ordered a Luxury version of it. Park it next to an S and at least from the front half of the car it's difficult to distinguish the two. Take a closer look and it'll be apparent, but not blatantly obvious.

I also think the new "sport" instrument cluster looks cheap, which fortunately is remedied with the Luxury trim as well.
It is all a matter of personal choice, but I think you made a good one based on my experience with a 2010 Luxury sedan. Still think my car looks fantastic, both interior and exterior.
I think it may have been a market research deficiency of MB/DAG to redesign the front of the "E" without really asking the potential market and past purchasers what they thought. To me, the "S", "E" and "C" should share a familial design. Now only the "S" really has it, even if you get the Luxury version of "E" or "C."
Happy Motoring!

Last edited by El Cid; 12-02-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 PM

2010 E350 Sedan, 2010 Prius II
Lexus - Pure cloud luxury
Mercedes - Tight luxury
BMW - Sport/Luxury
Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is a blend

Originally Posted by extremetm
Lexus - Pure cloud luxury
Mercedes - Tight luxury
BMW - Sport/Luxury
I've always thought:
Lexus: Luxury and comfort
BMW: Performance and handling
MB: Great compromise between the two or blending of performance with luxury and comfort.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M

That's why I ordered a Luxury version of it.

Interesting observation on the Luxury version for your area. It's the complete opposite in Canada, where I would guess that the Luxury version accounts for about 1% of E Class sales.

As for different instrument clusters, I'm not sure if this is correct. The instrument binnacles are identical as far as I can tell. Maybe you are referring to different dash trim ?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:20 PM

volvo 960
I agree with you guys, Lexus was always smooth Luxury to me, the only BMW I've driven was my dads 328i's very good luxury but more performance. I disliked the BMW's harsh ride ( wife hates it ) but I think somewhat the run-flats fault. The MB, yes performance and luxury in one, I will say that the wife loved the Sport front end and exhaust tips rear fascia detail better than the luxury edition styling.
CarolinaBluetec wifes M+D have a V-70 an love it, just wish they would bring back in some full sized wagons!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
The MB, yes performance and luxury in one, I will say that the wife loved the Sport front end and exhaust tips rear fascia detail better than the luxury edition styling.
CarolinaBluetec wifes M+D have a V-70 an love it, just wish they would bring back in some full sized wagons!!!!!!
Yes, I agree with your wife's styling assessment.

What a pity that Volvo, a once proud and innovative company, has fallen under the overlordship of the Chinese. Ford MoCo was so incredibly foolish to sell Volvo and transfer its advanced technology to Chinese 'investors'. The Chinese owners then made a serious blunder in abandoning Volvo's trademark wagons. Their SUVs do not really cut it, do they ?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
...I also think the new "sport" instrument cluster looks cheap, which fortunately is remedied with the Luxury trim as well.
Other than the white gauges on the Sport, what's the difference? It's still a 3-pod cluster correct?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
To each their own. I like both (but the sport version better) and would never say no to a luxury version. After all it is a true Benz. I don't think any of them looks cheap or ugly. Just my two cents.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wonder if anyone knows what the actual sales numbers in US and Canada are for "E" luxury vs. sport? As for the instruments, I think the luxury has black facing vs. silver for sport or something to that effect.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
I'm not positive but I thought I read somewhere that the sport vs lux sales in US is approximately 5:1.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I'm not positive but I thought I read somewhere that the sport vs lux sales in US is approximately 5:1.
I guess that would be 20% Lux sales. One factor I discovered is that most dealers obtain Sport versions and that is what's on the lot. When I was looking, the five closest dealers had zero Lux models, but plenty of Sports. Had to order mine.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by El Cid
I guess that would be 20% Lux sales. One factor I discovered is that most dealers obtain Sport versions and that is what's on the lot. When I was looking, the five closest dealers had zero Lux models, but plenty of Sports. Had to order mine.

Took a while to find my luxury!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
@El Cid: I've always thought of Mercedes as a well-balanced car. It excels at nothing, but instead chooses to do everything well. At least that's how I remember them. Should be interesting to see what my new one's like after being away for 20 years.

@DerekACS: The luxury trim gives you black-on-black gauges, very much like the VDO gauges Merc's used since the 1970s. The white gauges with all of the idiot lights showing 24/7 just reminds me of nasty Dodge/Chrysler cloud car dash.

Originally Posted by pamiboy
It's not that people WANT the sport models over the luxury ones, it's just that you generally can't get ahold of a luxury model because the dealers are all ordering Sports. 99+% of E-Class cars are bought off the lot.

In the 10 months I spent looking for a used E-Class, the luxury models were almost impossible to come by, and that's back when the only noticeable difference between a luxury & sport was a black headliner on cars with lighter interiors.

I'll do detailed photos of my '15 Luxury when it finally comes in and we can all play a game of "What's different in the two pictures."
Old 12-05-2014, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by K-A
One thing MB's never got criticized for is their fronts. Based on my observations, the new cars get criticized at a much higher proportion for their fronts than ever before. MB making the Star grill the corporate norm means that they're trying to fit it into so many different models that it naturally yields some awkward results. Especially cars where they have two totally different grill and front options (a recent thing), there's no designed way to get them both right and proper. It can be haphazard.

BMW have the same problem. Some cars just look dumb with applying what was originally a design feature for totally differently proportioned designs.
I agree to this. I much prefer the 09-13 E front than the 14+ front.

The older has a much more rimless design and the newer one will look older faster.
Attached Thumbnails E Class or BMW?-image-3459853324.jpg   E Class or BMW?-image-2317936629.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also prefer the 09-13 front ends. Even with the luxury grille, the '14 front does not look as good to me. The four headlights distinquised the "E" Class from all other MB's. More importantly to me, is the large, non-functional holes on either end of the lower fascia. They are not proportional to the rest of the car.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
I also prefer the 09-13 front ends. Even with the luxury grille, the '14 front does not look as good to me. The four headlights distinquised the "E" Class from all other MB's. More importantly to me, is the large, non-functional holes on either end of the lower fascia. They are not proportional to the rest of the car.
They are the intakes for the ion motors coming with later years...

The new front looks so stupid I would never buy one. Absolutely too futuristic. Fits only on the AMG with power under the hood to match the looks.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS 550; 2018 Volvo XC90
As for the instruments, I think the luxury has black facing vs. silver for sport or something to that effect.
Oh interesting - I didn't know about this difference so I had to go investigate. Here are photos from two 2015 E350s for reference:

Luxury:

Sport:

And re the OP's original question, my two cents is go for the MB wagon! I'm not sure if you're limiting yourself to wagons (sounds like not), but all I can give you is my extremely wagon-biased opinion. My husband and I have owned 5 BMWs between us for the last 15 years, and they have been mostly great - especially my trusty 2002 325i touring with manual transmission that I'm never getting rid of. That said, we haven't owned the latest generation of rolling computers - our "youngest" car is a 2005 645, at least a generation or two older than current. I've been ready to get a bigger wagon since about 2010, and could never bring myself to pull the trigger on the E61 5-series wagon with its N54 engine issues. (I lurked in the BMW forums for years, and it was dismaying to read about the same problems with brand new cars for several years straight....I did get the impression that BMW incorporates new car buyers/owners as part of its R&D process...I'm not up to date on any issues with latest BMWs though.)

BMW's decision to stop bringing the latest 5-series wagon to NA was hugely disappointing for me, but going to an SUV (or BMW's GT abominations) was not an option because I feel more secure and confident as a driver when I have a lower center of gravity (and I find wagons really attractive). I had always thought I'd be a BMW loyalist, but I realized I was more loyal to the body style so I started looking at other wagons available from other marks. I did drive the newest 3-series diesel wagon, but it felt more cramped inside than my E46, although I did drive it after driving the smooth and spacious MB E350 wagon. I had never considered MB before, but being forced to look at other wagon options was a blessing in disguise because I could approach everything with a degree of detachment and skepticism - although the MB really grabbed me early on and emerged as the clear choice, and one which I'm very excited about! As far as North America is concerned, the MB really is "the only wagon in its class," as it claims.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
It's funny when the W212 came out I didn't like the front end as well as the W211. Then it slowly grew on me. When I built 2009-2013 online I always went for luxury to get monochromatic interiors. The 2014+ I like the sport body a bit more, but it's a touch choice.

Back to the OP topic the E-class wagon is the best in class (I'd take a wagon over the same E sedan). Shame BMW stopped importing the 5-wagon to (try) sell GT. I wish MB would import and stock some more wagons; I've seen 1 and it was sold.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 PM

'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
I was pleased by the 2014 E350 Wagon as loaner car. I the 17" wheel and tire package is comfortable.

If you do a lot of driving then you should PM fellow mbworld member GregTR, he purchased his 2014 wagon and put 20k miles within the first year. He will have the best real user input for you.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM

'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by K-A
I had 3 E Classes and in the last month with my current 535i.

I prefer the 5 Series, and it's actually been more reliable as well, though had/have a few "glitches" that kind of work themselves out, so I haven't had to take the car "in" once except for service (and to top off oil once). But you don't get a BMW for reliability, you get it for drive and engagement, then there's the subjective and other factors that could appeal to you. Many current BMW's are kind of a middle ground between BMW's of yore and Mercedes, however. My 5 is certainly sportier than my E350's, but I wouldn't call it "sporty". Now that the initial "wow" factor from switching between both has settled and I've gained increasing perspectives, and being that I've increasingly wanted sportier cars, I find myself echo'ing BMW "purists" who I initially didn't level with so much, in wishing BMW made all their products to the code of "sport" that they used to. Though they've come a very long way in luxury and refinement on the 5-and up chassis models (not so much at all on the 3 Series chassis models).

If M-B is what your heart wants, then there's your answer. When I was getting my first luxury cars and was working with what I was, I wanted a Benz only (helped that it was the tail end of the so called "Bangle design gen" so BMW wasn't even considered), so I did it, and then eventually you might find yourself exploring elsewhere to gain more perspective (i.e "bouncing back and forth" like many do).
BMWUSA forgot to bring the 5er wagon here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E Class or BMW?