E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2010 W212 Oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 836 Likes on 605 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Just did my first oil change using the Mityvac 7201 pump & tank system. What an amazing tool. Getting the oil out from the engine could be easier only if the pump was electric but this thing with the hand pump is so easy.

The reservoir in it is perfect as it is 2,3 gal (8.7 L) while my engine takes 8.5 L oil.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
Did you use the rubber plug on the dipstick tube approach?

I had forgotten about this when I tried it again earlier this year and only got 5 L out again. E350 4matic. I did remember the hot oil tip but the same thing happened where it was just sucking in air and not fluid.

There must be a lower spot somewhere further down that's not being touched with sticking the tube in. I'll try the rubber plug approach next time, and if that doesn't work, then I'll be done with the mityvac.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4MATIC
Hi everyone, so I did in the beginning of December my annual oil change and again I wasn't able to get more than approximately 7.5 qt of oil.
I didn't use rubber plug so if anyone has a good idea where I can find one to use with Mityvac that would be great.
What I did find during this oil change is that I don't have more than 7.5qt in my engine. During oil change it crossed my mind that when I emailed a while back MBUSA asking if they have a window sticker, in MSRP list (basically the same thing as window sticker) they emailed to me (the very next day, excellent service btw) I noticed that my car is a half year model (I have LED lights).
When I checked manual for 2011 year model there is a change for E350 4matic, and it states that now it takes 7l or 7.5qts, so that must be the solution to my problem. They changed from 2010 to 2011 total amount of oil by 1l or 1.5qts which makes a perfect explanation for my missing oil.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aeroconfigs
Did you use the rubber plug on the dipstick tube approach?

I had forgotten about this when I tried it again earlier this year and only got 5 L out again. E350 4matic. I did remember the hot oil tip but the same thing happened where it was just sucking in air and not fluid.

There must be a lower spot somewhere further down that's not being touched with sticking the tube in. I'll try the rubber plug approach next time, and if that doesn't work, then I'll be done with the mityvac.
I used the bigger diameter tube that fit the dip stick tube perfectly. Made sure it is all the way in the bottom of the oil pan and the Mityvac pulled oil out just above the 8L Mark on the side of the reservoir. By the manual my 5.5 L engine takes 8.5 L oil but my level on the dip stick was about 1/8" below the FULL mark so I think I was that 0.5 L low from full.

I think it pulled pretty much all of the oil out.

Your case is very strange. Something must be preventing the suction tube from going all the way in or your engine holds less oil than we think.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
I think it's the suction tube not going all the way down. I'm probably messing it up somehow. I tried to shove it way down there but I don't know what I'm doing. I drained the rest by pulling the plug but couldn't tell how much came out. Refilling it was definitely less than 8 L. So I think it may hold less but also I'm not getting it all with the evacuator since there was still another 1-2 L that drained after through the pan.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
I am having the same problem and after many an hour spent trying to find a meaningful solution, I think I will quit on the Mityvac.

Last year, it took me well over an hour of non stop pumping to get about 7.5L out of the engine. I have a 2010 E350 4matic.
You don't want to know how many times I pumped.

A couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd do another oil change in the interim just to keep running on fresher oil. But I was only able to extract about 6 Quarts of oil. The first 5 or so are evacuated quite quickly and then it begins to slurp sucking in air and I have to pump almost continuously only to get rate of flow of about an ounce a minute.

I would greatly appreciate if someone who experienced a similar problem was able to find a solution for this.

Paying $300 +tax for an oil change at the dealer is a major rip off. But losing an engine due to poorly performed oil change is plain dumb.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4MATIC
Hello everybody, thanks for all the responses but I just figured out what actually is the issue/not issue with my vehicle.
My E350 is half year model I have LED lights instead of fog lights on the bottom so everybody else can recognize if they also have half year model. Difference between 2010 and 2011 E350's is only with 4MATIC models regarding the oil capacity.
2010 model takes 8 1/2 quarts or 8 L approximately while 2011 model takes 7 1/2 quarts or 7 L approximately.
In my desperation I downloaded 2011 year model manual and there is a difference only for 4MATIC model everything else keeps the same capacity of oil.
I hope this finding helps everyone else who was nearly losing their mind what is going on, I am using my Mityvac and everything is working just fine, last time I pulled out almost 7 L plus minus whatever the oil filter pulled out so everything matches.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Arrie
The temperature you see in the cluster is not oil temperature. It is the engine cooling system temperature. To get the oil hot you need to go drive the car around for a few miles.

When I change the oil I pump it out thru the dip stick hole. I used to buy a $7 hand operated plastic pump each time I got the oil but then bought a small electric pump for $15 or so that does the job well.

But, before I start the job I go drive for at least 15 miles. Usually I plan the job so that I do it after I make a long enough drive not needing to specifically to go drive for the oil change.

Reason why I do this is that when I did my second oil change on the E350 that I used to have I did not get all oil out just like you say. I got only about 6 qt and also was worried why because the first time I did it all oil came out. Then I realized I had the car sitting almost an hour before I started the pumping and this was enough to cool the oil down and all of it did not come out.

I'm thinking there must be some pocket where the oil sits and has a rather small opening to flow out from and if the oil is not very hot it does not come out fast enough to get to the pump suction or just wont come out at all leaving that oil in the engine.

I have not had any problems at all since I have made sure the oil is hot when I pump it out and I mean it is so hot it burns my fingers when I touch the plastic tube while pumping.
Hi Guys,

I have the mityvac which I used on my C55 AMG without issue for 10 years. But since the mityvac now needs new O rings, I change the oil on my 2014 E350 the same way Arrie does. The $15-$20 dollar electric pump from Amazon works just fine if the oil is hot , takes about 10 minutes with no physical effort on my part and generally gets everything out. You should monitor the pump's operation from start to finish, though, since the pump tends to shake and bounce. In my case, because I do not believe it to be harmful, I may leave up to 0.5 liters of old oil in there or so. With synthetic oil, the main purpose of an oil change is to change the Oil Filter. Unless you overdrive your engine, full synthetic oil is unlikely to deteriorate -- it simply gets dirty and the oil filter will stop working long before the synthetic oil does. This is why a 10k change with the new fleece filter is ok -- that filter lasts and works longer than the previous filters. I changed the oil in my C55 every 5k miles regardless -- 8.5liters-- and have no trouble with 10k changes on the 2014 E350.

Do the oil change yourself carefully -- I've heard too many stories of dealers over or under-filling the oil, a local MB dealer overfilled my friend's 2015 E350, and I have experienced overfill at one of those fast oil change chains. In the chain's case the technician did not know the difference between quarts and liters. There is no excuse for a dealer making that kind of mistake.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tump43
Hi Guys,

I have the mityvac which I used on my C55 AMG without issue for 10 years. But since the mityvac now needs new O rings, I change the oil on my 2014 E350 the same way Arrie does. The $15-$20 dollar electric pump from Amazon works just fine if the oil is hot , takes about 10 minutes with no physical effort on my part and generally gets everything out. You should monitor the pump's operation from start to finish, though, since the pump tends to shake and bounce. In my case, because I do not believe it to be harmful, I may leave up to 0.5 liters of old oil in there or so. With synthetic oil, the main purpose of an oil change is to change the Oil Filter. Unless you overdrive your engine, full synthetic oil is unlikely to deteriorate -- it simply gets dirty and the oil filter will stop working long before the synthetic oil does. This is why a 10k change with the new fleece filter is ok -- that filter lasts and works longer than the previous filters. I changed the oil in my C55 every 5k miles regardless -- 8.5liters-- and have no trouble with 10k changes on the 2014 E350.

Do the oil change yourself carefully -- I've heard too many stories of dealers over or under-filling the oil, a local MB dealer overfilled my friend's 2015 E350, and I have experienced overfill at one of those fast oil change chains. In the chain's case the technician did not know the difference between quarts and liters. There is no excuse for a dealer making that kind of mistake.
Well, I'm a Mityvac user myself now. I used two electric pumps and they do not last long at all. They are advertised for oil changes but I think the used oil eats up the pump seals.

I have done two oil changes for my car and once each for my two lawn mowers using the Mityvac and it works very well. And I don't see it not working for a long time. If my pump seals wear out I'll just replace them.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Yeah, I have heard that about the electric pumps. Mine has not worn out yet, but we will see. Do you know where to get an o-ring set for the Mityvac?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tump43
Yeah, I have heard that about the electric pumps. Mine has not worn out yet, but we will see. Do you know where to get an o-ring set for the Mityvac?

Is it really O-rings? I would have thought it has lip seals...

If O-rings you can probably get these from an auto part store or a hardware store.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by whaddaiknow
I am having the same problem and after many an hour spent trying to find a meaningful solution, I think I will quit on the Mityvac.

Last year, it took me well over an hour of non stop pumping to get about 7.5L out of the engine. I have a 2010 E350 4matic.
You don't want to know how many times I pumped.

A couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd do another oil change in the interim just to keep running on fresher oil. But I was only able to extract about 6 Quarts of oil. The first 5 or so are evacuated quite quickly and then it begins to slurp sucking in air and I have to pump almost continuously only to get rate of flow of about an ounce a minute.

I would greatly appreciate if someone who experienced a similar problem was able to find a solution for this.

Paying $300 +tax for an oil change at the dealer is a major rip off. But losing an engine due to poorly performed oil change is plain dumb.

Changed oil on my '10 E350 last night.

1) Stopped by my local MB dealership. They gave me (as in 'no charge', free) a couple of crusher washers for the drain plug.

2) Put the car on ramps.

3) Used Mityvac to extract the first 4L. Then it get to a point where it's slurping and sucking air and you need to continuously pump to get abysmally low flow rate.

4) Crawled under the car. 8 bolts (8mm socket). Remove cover. Remove bolt. Drain oil. (No more pumping)

5) While the oil is draining, replaced oil filter.

6) Put new crusher washer and screw the drain plug back in.

7) Put ~7.5-8 L of 0W40 Mobil 1

All done.

With the Mityvac alone, I was only able to extract ~7L of oil MAX after about an hour of relentless stupid pumping. Which means I was leaving about a liter of oil in the pan. I'll never do that again.

A $40 set of ramps. A power drill. Two sockets (8mm for the undercover and 13mm for the drain plug). My peace of mind knowing I got all the oil out - PRICELESS.

Anyone who says vacuum is better or faster - all the power to you. I can say I've tried both, and I will drain my oil from the bottom going forward. I've created no mess at all, and it gave me an opportunity to visually inspect the underside for damage, leakage and rust.

Earlier this week I changed oil on my van (Honda Odyssey). That was a bit messy because of the oil filter location. The Merc didn't take any longer and was cleaner to change the oil from the bottom.

Cheers.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
did the oil change last friday , didnt use the oil evacuator but used the drain plug , it was pretty simple , first time on this car. maybe by nnext time ill get one of those electric pumps and try it out since its only 30 bucks. if not good then will use drain plug since its not that bad.