E350 vs 535i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
E350 vs 535i

I believe many of us have the dilemma, considering that the cars are very similar and coming from reputable German car makes. So I would like to share my very subjective but hopefully not very biased comparison of both since I have first owner experience of them. Since my ownership of E350 a bit longer, I may still miss some good sides of 535i. Let me know if you think I tis worth to cross post it in BWM forum.

535i vs E350
Preconditions
Similarly equipped with MSRP $63K for E350 and $67K for 535i
Major differences
E350
-Sport

535i
-Luxury
-Head up display

Like E350 more for
More intuitive adaptive cruise control activation and control
- Smarter adaptive cruise control for cases when a car in front is making turns or just a road making sharp turn. It can detect any obstacles in front in wider range.
- Easier to set, resume or cancel
- Remembers distance set
- It can steer on lower speeds
Smarter blind spot detection
- It indicates better situations when the functionality is active
- Warning lights are better visible
- Sound and vibration notification
More comprehensive sun visors
- 180 degree protection from sun
Auto windshield wipers are always on
- They start cleaning if something accidentally spray on a windshield
Multifunctional display in center of speedometer
- It can show current song, or navigation instruction, or trip computer there
- It is used also for different diagnostics and warning
Reading center display less distractive
- I read it easily without turning head
Gear shifter easier manipulate and it doesn’t take space in center console
- Current gear is also displayed on dashboard
More storage in center cabin
- There is storage in center console
- There is storage under seat
- Glove box has a shelf
More informative cameras 360 view and backup
- Backup camera show moving tracks based on wheels turn
- Real 360 view covering sides, front and back
Navigation instructions and display more convenient
- Navigation screen shows upcoming intersection names
- Navigation instructs to prepare to turn and change lane
It has regular tires
- Regular tires are cheaper and potential give more comfort ride
Trunk space easier to organize
- It has standard holder for groceries
Steering wheel has convenient perforation for better grip
- Car can also detect if a driver released grip but driver steering can be required
Overall interior is nicer
- Central analog clock gives more luxury feel
- More wood accent gives richer feel
Standard head lamps give better view in dark
- Standard LED lamps are very good
Full 10 buttons phone dialer
- Easy to punch phone number and it has also separate buttons to pick up or hang up call
Hold feature somewhere more useful
- A driver can decide if activate it or not at any stop

I like 535i more for
Smoother acceleration
- Car never jerks, breaking and acceleration are very smooth
Cabin is quieter
- Less road, wind and engine noise
Standard seats are more comfortable
- Leather covered, and bottom cushion is better supporting
Navigation system is smarter
- Point of interest are integrated with search engine allow to find mostly any location in easy
Center display is wider
- Bigger and wider screen can potentially hold more information
Adaptive cruise control smarter in term of void sharp breaking
- It keeps smooth acceleration and breaking, so less stressful
Most of settings are personalized by a driver key
- If a car has more than one driver then not only set position, but A/C, radio and other settings get associated with a key opened the car
Powered folding mirrors
- Mirrors can fold using button and do that automatically when car is locked
Speedometer and other dials are easy to read
- Very readable speed and other controls in any lighting conditions
Head up display
- It mostly eliminates needs of other displaying areas. However E350 may have the same nice head up display
Exterior look and lamps are nice than E350 Sport
- Car looks nice from any angle, DRL looks very unique as well
ECO stop engine feature is more useful and predictable
- Engine will stop at all stops, however if slow down gentle and stop, then engine can remind on, it can be nicer in start/stop traffic with short stops
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Nice detailed comparison of some features. I did a quick test drive of the 535i. The one feature I wanted to steal for my E550 was the heads up display. Didn't realize how much I needed one until then.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by thefisch
Nice detailed comparison of some features. I did a quick test drive of the 535i. The one feature I wanted to steal for my E550 was the heads up display. Didn't realize how much I needed one until then.
Not integrated but looks interesting: https://www.navdy.com/
Old 12-23-2014, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not interested in Heads Up Displays

Originally Posted by thefisch
Haven't actually driven a car with one, but have seen videos of them in operation from driver's POV. Guess you can get used to them, but I prefer an absolutely clean windshield in front of me. This would annoy me and I would end up focusing on it instead of what is happening on other side of the windshield.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
The 535i seats are nappa and can be more comfortable overall, especially with the extra upper back and headrest adjustments. It is 4k more though. Maybe a better comparison would be against a designo build.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Few more observations:
E350 has Ambient lighting and LED reading lamps

535i retains power even after opening doors, so if you fill up car, you can continue using BT or listen to music.
535i gives also different speed feel, so I am always going 10-15 miles faster (thanks head up display to confirming that)

I also started liking more blind spot detection at 535I, since it just vibrates steering wheel making me less nervous to complete maneuver. E350 uses beeping sound in addition, making passengers alerted that you're about to crash the car.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 P1, Sport, Rear Spoiler
You have to drive them back to back. I'm a BMW fan and owned 3 before my Benz. The 5 just bored the hell out of me. The steering was too light and to this day when I see one I can't tell whether it's a 320i or a 535i. To each his own though. The 5 does win in the transmission department however. That ZF 8-speed is a gem.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by jmatero
You have to drive them back to back. I'm a BMW fan and owned 3 before my Benz. The 5 just bored the hell out of me. The steering was too light and to this day when I see one I can't tell whether it's a 320i or a 535i. To each his own though. The 5 does win in the transmission department however. That ZF 8-speed is a gem.
I really see no material difference between the 8-spd in my '13 X3 and 7-spd in my E350 4M. Both smooth and responsive.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by jmatero
My ZF transmission in my 2009 BMW 550 failed at 22K miles.

My E Class is better in every way than my 550 and I was never happier when I traded it in after spending 9K in service and maintenance for 30 months of driving. BMW ate the transmission and offered to check my car for leaks anytime I wanted to stop by

I will never by another BMW or a car with a ZF transmission again.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by beshannon
My ZF transmission in my 2009 BMW 550 failed at 22K miles.

My E Class is better in every way than my 550 and I was never happier when I traded it in after spending 9K in service and maintenance for 30 months of driving. BMW ate the transmission and offered to check my car for leaks anytime I wanted to stop by

I will never by another BMW or a car with a ZF transmission again.
Do you know who makes the transmission in the E350?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by noka
Do you know who makes the transmission in the E350?
The 7G-Tronic transmission is built at the Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart-Untertuerkheim plant in Germany, the site of Daimler-Benz's original production facility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...c_transmission

And Siemens appears to make many control parts as well
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by beshannon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...c_transmission

And Siemens appears to make many control parts as well
Thanks,... and I even visited that plant several years ago.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
All I can say is that new gen BMWs are sad examples of what BMW stood for. Had BMWs for 15-years... After my e90 M3 the party ended. Couldn't give me a BMW for free. Toyota of Germany.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Nice, very comprehensive breakdown. I had both, and don't have either anymore. I much prefer the 535i.

However, the 535i is unfortunately too soft and disconnected from what the 5 lineage previously stood for. It's a fantastic luxury car with some sporty characteristics, but I'd like them to dial the sportiness back up. The steering feel, suspension float, overall emotionless softness just doesn't feel riveting in how I wanted it to, after the car settled in.

I say "settled in" because coming from an E Class, the 5 felt like a downright dynamic sports car to me, so comparatively, it's a lot more dynamic I think. But on its own, after driving nearly everything else since I got it, it started to just feel soul-sucked and I started longing for sharper and sportier dynamics (again).
Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
However, the 535i is unfortunately too soft and disconnected from what the 5 lineage previously stood for. It's a fantastic luxury car with some sporty characteristics, but I'd like them to dial the sportiness back up. The steering feel, suspension float, overall emotionless softness just doesn't feel riveting in how I wanted it to, after the car settled in.
Yes i drove a 540 for years and it was a solid ride that hugged the floor, typical of bmw from those days. The steering WAS light and the car felt heavier on its feet than any E class ive driven, but you gents are spot on with the tranny. You can train your 7gtronic in manual if your dilligent, but the bmw never even clicked out of place one time when I drove it. 7Gtronic is a dalmation in terms of training, the bmws were a golden retriever.

I havent checked the gear ratios on the BMW tranny, but i hardly find anything useful about 7 or 8 gears. 6 Is plenty for me and I dont believe that adding more will make anything better, but in the sake of arguement... The 1st and 2nd gear ratios on the E are 4.3 and 2.8 ish i believe... Then 1.92,1.38,1.00. 6+7 overdrive. Wonder how much different the BMWs is, or maybe just the software controlling its actions is more predictably smart

I also get reports of BMW brakes not being as crisp as MBZ.. My old BMW had sweet brakes, but that could be something your talking about with BMW now being a shadow of its former sportiness. Many sport racers say they can feel more confident in CLAs and newer sporty mbzs than the BMW brakes, despite any slalom or 0-60 times.

And i personally prefer MBZ interior to BMW despite a few rattles and what not to conquer =D
Originally Posted by K-A
I say "settled in" because coming from an E Class, the 5 felt like a downright dynamic sports car to me, so comparatively, it's a lot more dynamic I think. But on its own, after driving nearly everything else since I got it, it started to just feel soul-sucked and I started longing for sharper and sportier dynamics (again).
Nice to see your Macan came in. You have a thread up reporting its characteristics and your impressions i hope?

Last edited by Trancebolt; 01-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Thanks, Trancebolt. Not on here yet since I'm not sure how this forum will take to it. But I can send you a link to a comprehensive updated review thread if interested.