E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E class or S class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes E450
E class or S class?

Ok, I admit this is an unusual topic, but I'm trying to decide between an E-Class 4Matic sedan and an S-Class 4Matic sedan.

My main objections to the S are that it's kind of ostentatious, and a bit too large.

I'm coming from a Lexus LS600hL (very large) with an Audi A6 in between, and one thing I liked about the Lexus was that it didn't call much attention to itself.

Important are quiet, smooth, tech, and performance. Less so handling.

Features I require are:

AWD, Distronic Plus, Navigation, Heated/Cooled seats and heated steering wheel (I live in Maine), soft close doors and trunk, heated windshield/wipers.

Things I currently have, but don't value much are night vision (you either look at the night-vision display, or out the windshield, but not both), HUD (kind of distracting. Maybe the MB version is better.), and active lane assist (it works, but only briefly before it demands that you resume control).

I guess my question, then, is: disregarding price, what features of the S are NOT available on the E, and is the S THAT much more quiet and comfortable than the E?

I'm planning on purchasing the vehicle new somewhere near Seattle WA, and driving it home to Maine on a leisurely 4-week road trip home in the fall of 2016.

I haven't driven either, as I'm waiting until next year to start the process, so I have a while to think about it.

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.........

HBH
Old 01-16-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
I believe the biggest two reasons to pick one or the other would be:

price

and mandatory air suspension in the s class i believe. otherwise its give or take.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
If you are coming from the LS600HL a E Class might feel small to you. While the W212 has tons of interior room and space is utilized correctly it does not compare to the S Class.
Test drive both and see what you like. Look for Designo Interior too!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport
Not an unusual topic, just depends on which car you want.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
i feel like this should be decided upon almost primarily by size, one is significantly larger than the other and a totally different experience
Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I think that the S Class is s significantly better looking car and would pick it over the E class if it wasn't huge. The E class is a bigger car than I would like but it is a much better car than the C class. So if it was me and the size of the S class didn't bother you I would go for it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
If luxury is a priority, get any S-class. If performance and luxury are a priority, consider S63 AMG.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
I think the S is indeed THAT much more quiet and comfortable than the E, and the E is nothing to sneeze at. New S is an amazing car - spec for spec probably 60%+ more expensive than an E, too, but you gotta pay to play.

No soft close doors on E, if it matters.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-02-2017)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
S is MUCH quieter at hwy speeds.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Helmar
Ok, I admit this is an unusual topic, but I'm trying to decide between an E-Class 4Matic sedan and an S-Class 4Matic sedan.

My main objections to the S are that it's kind of ostentatious, and a bit too large.

I'm coming from a Lexus LS600hL (very large) with an Audi A6 in between, and one thing I liked about the Lexus was that it didn't call much attention to itself.

Features I require are:

AWD, Distronic Plus, Navigation, Heated/Cooled seats and heated steering wheel (I live in Maine), soft close doors and trunk, heated windshield/wipers.

Things I currently have, but don't value much are night vision (you either look at the night-vision display, or out the windshield, but not both), HUD (kind of distracting. Maybe the MB version is better.), and active lane assist (it works, but only briefly before it demands that you resume control).

I guess my question, then, is: disregarding price, what features of the S are NOT available on the E, and is the S THAT much more quiet and comfortable than the E?

I'm planning on purchasing the vehicle new somewhere near Seattle WA, and driving it home to Maine on a leisurely 4-week road trip home in the fall of 2016.

I haven't driven either, as I'm waiting until next year to start the process, so I have a while to think about it.

HBH

Anyone saying that it is just to select between these two cars as which one to like better has not driven an S before.

The S-class and E-class are like cars from a different planet. They are so different that it is almost the only similarity between them to have that star in the front and rear of the car...and on the steering wheel.

If money is not an issue you really want the S-class. It is a bigger car but not that much bigger really.

What comes to comfortable and quiet ride you don't even want to think about the E-class against the S-class.

What comes to performance, the S-class is almost as fast as the E-class with the big engine and you did say the performance is not really that important.

But, the best thing is to go test drive both. After that you have only one option between these two cars, guarantee it. And it will be as I wrote above. Again, if money is not an issue at all.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-17-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Pick S. I also drive E after owning LS and I missed many features as you already mentioned soft door closing, spacious interior, top quality leather. I liked in LS that if I set heating seats it works permanently but I have to activate it each time in E. LS had only problem with navigation, it never could understand me and sometime brought me in wrong place. E navigation is much more advanced. I guess S has soft door closing, good quality leather, spacious interior and very quiet. Price shouldn't be issue unless you want S63.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM

2012 E-350
Originally Posted by Dema
Pick S. I also drive E after owning LS and I missed many features as you already mentioned soft door closing, spacious interior, top quality leather. I liked in LS that if I set heating seats it works permanently but I have to activate it each time in E. LS had only problem with navigation, it never could understand me and sometime brought me in wrong place. E navigation is much more advanced. I guess S has soft door closing, good quality leather, spacious interior and very quiet. Price shouldn't be issue unless you want S63.
There is nothing advanced about the nav in the E, in fact I think using an old fashion paper map would be as advanced as the E navigation system.

As for E vs S?

Besides the S being bigger and harder to find a parking spot for in tight spaces, the E offers no pros. The S is $40k more car, and it shows with it's ride and features.

Now if you were at least asking about an E63 vs a S-550 that would be worth debating.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
In this case size matters
Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM

None
I'm planning on purchasing the vehicle new.....in the fall of 2016.

I haven't driven either, as I'm waiting until next year to start the process.....

Considering the above, the OP might very well wish to wait and shelf this thread until the debut of the upcoming W213 generation E Class. With the changes coming (ala smidge-smaller S Class in the new C Class), the variation-gap between the two cars may be narrowed when compared to the current, post face lift W212 and the new S Class. And from what I've read and found online, the new E Class is supposedly coming out in fall, 2016 / spring, 2017, right in the midst of the OP's purchase timeframe.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by lbgottlieb
Considering the above, the OP might very well wish to wait and shelf this thread until the debut of the upcoming W213 generation E Class. With the changes coming (ala smidge-smaller S Class in the new C Class), the variation-gap between the two cars may be narrowed when compared to the current, post face lift W212 and the new S Class. And from what I've read and found online, the new E Class is supposedly coming out in fall, 2016 / spring, 2017, right in the midst of the OP's purchase timeframe.
But it still will not come close to what S-class is. MB seems to keep very clear difference between the sedan models in quality and comfort. If you drive the C-class loaners you really appreciate the E-class when you get your own ride back. The difference from E-class to S-class may be even bigger. I think this same difference remains with the new E-class. Time will tell...
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 PM

None
Originally Posted by Arrie
But it still will not come close to what S-class is. MB seems to keep very clear difference between the sedan models in quality and comfort. Time will tell...

For the extra $40k-$50k price difference for the S-Class.....I would most certainly hope so. We're on the same page. My only thoughts are that comparing the 2014 S-Class to the 2014/2015 E-Class probably isn't the same as when one will eventually compare the latter to the upcoming 2016/2017 E-Class. If the W213 is a (most likely) step-up in design, it will probably narrow the difference gap that currently exists between the two current S and E Classes. It would be at that time when the OP would make a most efficient comparison.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:58 PM

e550
If rear seat comfort is important the S class has that. The front seats are much more comfortable in the S class. When driving i like to feel the road the e class is better in this regard, it is generally more nifty in traffic, curves, and parking lots. As a passenger i like to float around without fuss or muss the S class is better at that. To sum up I would rather drive the E class . However I would rather ride in the S class.

I felt like if I was not regularly putting passengers in the back it would be a bit of a waste of the real strength of the S class.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 01-18-2015 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rickchitown (09-06-2017)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 AM

2014 E550 4matic FULLY LOADED
this is a cool topic as i just got out of a fully loaded LS460L with all the options one could ever use (exe seating, reclining seats, massage - lane assist, crash avoidance, upgraded sound, upgraded leather, soft close doors) and now i am getting into a fully loaded E550 with driver assistance plus - (PRESAFE, histrionic, lane assistance, upgraded leather, massage in FRONT seat) haven't driven that one as I'm having it shipped from FL, but i have driving the e350 and its just more nibble! It's no where near the plush ride of the S or even the LS. I agree that it is HUGE, i think is size is even a small issue, then u won't be happy with the S class. if money wasn't an issue, then the S is the car GOD BUILT! the e is NICE, but the S is like one of the cars you aren't sure your suppose to actually drive, rather just star at it! lol i would trade into an S in a heartbeat! hell if i could, i would stab someone to own the S550 COUPE! I'm so not kidding lol ......i do hope you make a choice

the S comes with (magic body control, HUD, side shades, full parking assist and the fact that the car come standard with burmester audio, the screens are massive and is full LED throughout entire car with 5 ambient light changes ) the E has the smallest and oldest head unit in its class and only allows 3 color changes. its nice and it works but if you are a tech lover, then you will no doubt love the S class!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic

Features I require are:

HBH
This question is unanswerable. By the fall of 2016, the 2017 W213 E Class will be on sale. At that point why anyone would want a W212 which is long in the tooth now is beyond me. Supposedly the next gen E will be leaps and bounds better than the current E. This does not mean it will come close to the luxury and dynamics of the S even though at that point it will be three years into its production run.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
I was debating the same thing. The new S Class is worlds ahead of the E. It is such an awesome car - isolation, power, yet great handling. We rented one for a weekend in Chicago and fell in love.

But I didn't want to make the huge statement. The black one we rented drew loads of attention for a sedan. There is no flying under radar - at least not in a new black S Class. We ended up getting an E350 Bluetec.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM

None
Originally Posted by RichM
This question is unanswerable. By the fall of 2016, the 2017 W213 E Class will be on sale. At that point why anyone would want a W212 which is long in the tooth now is beyond me. Supposedly the next gen E will be leaps and bounds better than the current E. This does not mean it will come close to the luxury and dynamics of the S even though at that point it will be three years into its production run.

Correctomundo......
Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Are we talking about new cars? If so, new S class is sexy, especially the coupe.

However, used S class, out of warranty I would stay away from.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I am not sure if the short WB S is available in the US but it could be a great alternative to the E class. By the way, the Fall of 2016 is when the new generation E class should be introduced.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 PM

e550
I will be a bit of the contrarian and said the next generation of E class will be evolutionary not revolutionary. A little faster,better gas mileage, stiffer, lighter ect. However in general it will not meet expectations of enthusiast that are expecting unrealistic changes. It will not render the current version a outdated relic of the past.

Second one would not want to buy the first editions rolling off the line. That would put the first reasonable time to buy around fall of 2017. That is 2.5 years off. I am in my sixth decade, I do not wait 2.5 years for anything.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 01-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
As the OP put it disregarding price, there is not one of us here who would choose an E over an S. If you say you would you are not being honest with us or yourself. JMHO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E class or S class?