E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2015 E-class Review: E400 Part 3 of 4, Lighting, Driver Assist and Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 E-class Review: E400 Part 3 of 4, Lighting, Driver Assist and Parking Assist

Over the years, I've benefited greatly from this forum, so I hope to return the favor a bit by posting a detailed review of my 2015 E400 in four parts. I'll check in to answer questions for a few days, but apologies in advance for not being a frequent visitor/responder.

The Car:
2015 E400, Lunar Blue Metallic, Silk Beige Leather
Sport Package, Adaptive Lighting Package
Premium, Keyless Go
Ventilated Seats, Active Multi-contour Seats
Drive Assistance Package, Parking Assistance Package
Coming from a 2006 BMW 550i Sport with Active Roll Stabilization

Adaptive Lighting

Three major features here: curve-following headlights and turn-illuminating fog lamps; automatic high beams; LED lights.

The curve- and turn-related functions work as expected. They are responsive with an excellent field of light. If you haven’t had them before, they provide a significant improvement in safety in my opinion in urban and country settings and probably justify this option package on their own.

The automatic high beams work extremely intuitively although a bit more conservatively than desirable. Taking into consideration vehicle speed, ambient light, and vehicles in front, the beams switch to high almost exactly in the same circumstances that you would want them too, with a soft transition by default and a rapid one when needed (approaching car crests a hill and suddenly comes into view). The caveats, in order: speed needs to be ~30 mph or greater, ambient light from a convenience store on an otherwise dark road can prevent high beam activation, and vehicles at distances that would seem insensitive to my high beams sometimes prevent activation. I don’t find the caveats to be major detractors of the Packages value: high beams at <30mph certainly increase confidence but not really reaction time, and I can see the rationale for being conservative when there’s any danger of blinding other drivers (on the road or if they are turning in from a convenience store stop). The LED lights run a little more white/blue than Xenons and Halogens. I’ve noticed red reflectors look a little purple in this lights and sometimes the edges of the light field appear with a blue tinge in my peripheral vision. I don’t think “LED” is the main value point in this package.

Driver Assistance Package

Excellent implementation and utility, at least for my uses. There are three features that interact with the driver frequently: Distronic Plus with Steering Assist (DPSA), Active Blind Spot Assist (ABSA), Active Lane Keep Assist (ALKA).

DPSA is a distance-sensitive cruise control as has been available for years, but with an ability to steer the car in most circumstances. It functions like “curve sensitive” steering: in the same way that variable-ratio and speed-sensitive steering alter steering response in particular scenarios, when the car senses an upcoming turn it only requires a nudge from the driver in that direction for the car to provide most of the required steering input from that point on. The steering input isn’t a full-time function, DSPA needs to be active. The system requires your hands on the wheel at speeds greater ~25 mph, but will steer without assistance below that speed. Activation is intuitive and easy via the cruise control stalk. I’ve been surprised at how often I use the system and how much it contributes to reducing fatigue.

One way to evaluate the usefulness of DPSA to you is to note where it works best (almost-stop & go traffic, highway speeds, country roads) and where it’s least useful (roads with controlled intersections & stop signs; circumstances with frequent lane changes by others). This categorization is drive by certain limitations/quirks: from an extended stop DPSA accelerates the car too late and too slowly compared to a human; doesn’t recognize red lights and stop signs; and is late recognizing traffic moving into the MB’s lane resulting in disconcertingly late automatic braking. The first issue, the delay in getting the car going from a full stop can be counteracted with manual acceleration (this doesn’t disable DPSA, which picks up where you leave off), so it’s not a show-stopper but still a detraction. The red light/stop sign shortcoming means that you will be manually breaking often when faced with them, which deactivates DPSA, and requires that you re-start the it via the control stalk — again not a big deal, but it interrupts the serenity that the system buys you in more suitable circumstances. Note the red light limitation goes away if you’re behind another car at the light (presuming it stops at the light!). The system’s abruptness in handling lane changes by other cars makes me too nervous to use it in lane merge scenarios (e.g. major lane consolidation when approaching a bridge or tunnel). Generally, object detection is highly reliable (i.e. DPSA will maintain the appropriate distance to the car in front in day and night, and regardless of road markings ). The steering assist is not quite as reliable: low light and complex road markings can confuse it a bit, especially if there’s no car to follow. These steering shortcomings are not major, they just mean what should already be obvious: YOU are still driving the car.

ABSA and ALKA augment the typical visual/audible/tactile warnings with steering interventions (executed via asymmetric braking). The ABSA in my opinion is the least elegantly implemented of the various systems: the red warning triangle in the mirrors light up at highway speeds whenever someone is in the blind spot, regardless of whether you’ve activated a turn signal or are providing steering input for a lane change. You get two loud beeps if you activate your turn signal while the red indicator is lit. The indicator is fully off when no one is in your blind spot. At low speeds, it generally stays on with an amber color, just so “you remain cautious” according to the dealer tech. Annoying, as these are sizable and bright indicators. I haven’t had occasion to see the “Active” part in action on the ABSA, but I have in the ALKA: it is a quick, unobtrusive yank back toward the lane center. It happens with a speed and subtlety that leaves the related symbol in the instrument cluster as the most obvious indication that the car made an intervention. In less serious circumstances, the ALKA provides haptic feedback (similar to modest rumble strips), and it is quite reliable but when it errs, it tends to miss lane drift (especially onto the shoulder) rather than providing false warnings.

Parking Assist Package

This package includes Parktronic with Parking Assist, which has two major components: distance indicator lights on the dash and above the rear window (nicely visible in the rear view mirror) and automatic parking. I prefer MB’s indicator light system (with associated audible tones) to others I’ve seen: they are directly in your lines of sight out of the front and rear mirrors, with intuitive yellow/red lights to mark distance. The several yellow indicators begin lighting up at about 3-4 feet of separation, adding one red at ~12 inches and two red at ~ 6 inches. I live in a city and don’t feel like I need much else, but a quick glance at the rear view camera helps with confidence. However, I think most people will find the 360 degree camera view that also appears during parking to be very helpful, and possibly their primary resources parallel parking. The images are reliably synthesized, with complex environments an exception, e.g. a garage with bikes, garbage cans, etc. along the sides.

The automatic parking feature will, I’m guessing, be especially helpful to anyone with a physical limitation, e.g. a neck injury. I find the system to be fairly quick and accurate, but with an activation interface that is clumsy enough to substantially reduce the usefulness of the system. For example, you can’t manually force the system on. Rather, it has to auto-detect a suitably sized spot on the side, and that only happens at speeds <22.5 mph. The system offers its help once you’ve pulled up and put the car into reverse, but any slight action other than clicking the “Yes” button (e.g. inadvertent tap of the accelerator) will irretrievably deactivate the system.

The package includes 360 degree view which is independent of the Parktronic function and has turned out to be extremely useful, not just for parallel parking, but in all manner of circumstances, e.g. 90 degree parking with one-shot centering between the markings. For this reason, I have programmed the “Favorite” button by the COMAND dial to pull up a panel that includes this view (unfortunately, one more click is required to zoom in on the 360 view). You can also pull up other angles (to the sides, etc.) via icons at the top at the screen, but I find the combination of the tiny icons and COMAND controller fiddling that’s required to pull up those views too cumbersome to use during a typical parking workflow.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Post deleted by user

Last edited by Bfgslkman; 06-22-2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Attached to wrong thread
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350
Thanks for the informative review. I have the lighting package and distronic but not the parking package. The lighting is outstanding.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Pics please.!!

Last edited by raja777m; 06-25-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 mercedes e63, 2006 bmw 530 Xi with Mtech kit , 2005 ford expedition
Just fyi the original post is from 2015
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by bigjule
Just fyi the original post is from 2015
lol true, just wanted to see the user pics of Lunar Blue; if he still owns it.