E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Consumer Reports: Mercedes goes from #10 to #21

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I like to think the DNA transfer went the other way.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by alsyli
No, but you CAN get the impression from a $30,000 car that a manufacturer can build a car worth $100,000 (which is the impression I got when my partner took a VW GTI for a test drive a few mos ago).
That has nothing to do with what I said earlier. VW doesn't make a 100K car for you to know either way. This is just plain wrong and doesn't apply to every make. MB makes expensive cars with relative ease and they do it better than Audi or BMW, or that failed VW Phaeton. What they don't do well is cheap so no this isn't the case with MB.

VW's are great because if you walk across the street and buy an Audi A3, S3 or TT you're getting the same car underneath as the Golf, GTI or Golf R. MB doesn't have that luxury.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 02-26-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
What about the Phaeton? It is not available in North America but it is in Europe. it runs £49000 to £52000 in LWB base price in the UK with the current promotions of £7000 (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/buying-g...iii/special/13).
I just configured a 3 L TDI as close to my E class as possible and with the options and without the discount it came in at £54000. That is not chump change.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Trancebolt
The GLA/GLE/CLA line are all targeted to younger audiences, but dont forget. The statistics might say large majority of owners are over 50, but they buy cars for their daughters/sons/wives/parents. They want safe/sporty/mildly affordable. (one because most people have a few kids, and second alot of kids total their cars)

I was asked to do a review of the IDEA of the CLA 4 years ago for MBAdvisors and I completely said the same thing you guys did. Now after seeing it launch, checking out the 45 engine and seeing the results, im converted. They did a smashing job. Im even considering a GLA45 for my lady when we have a kid.

The CLA is made by the youngest team of designers from mb/amg. They used a totally new style and method of design and engineering for the car. It is paying off huge dividends for that car class/demographic. The CLA did not take C class buyers, it introduced new buyers from all levels. The CLA was a major success. Actually, all car companies are going both ways: maserati and aston and the like making more affordable cars, and mb reviving brands like maybach.

The new m235i is a super harsh ride with an odd tranny thats copycatted to 20 other car models in the market. Doesnt mean it doesnt serve its purpose perfectly. The people that buy it dont care about the ride. My coworker has a manual, loves it to death. I personally have alot of esteem for the car and compliment him on it alot, however its not for me.

Bottom line: Mercedes has a wide range of models, if you pick the right one for you as a person (being educated as to what car does what best) you will never go wrong with mercedes. I like how you can say its unreliable, the cars BRAND NEW. I have an idea, why dont we do a soundoff of all the people who vote yes or no on the CLA type lineage of MB, and have each person report their age/job title/cars owned currently/hometown; Bet youll see striking similarities to those who like/dislike a certain topic.

You want to talk about bad ideas, thers some new suv coming out to mimic bmws X6. talk about terrible idea =D
Very informative and actually makes sense!! and yes, that new X6 wannabe is a complete eyesore!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
JD Powers just rated the E klasse the best mid sized luxury car over the first three years of ownership. So we are in a sweet spot in the lineup.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11' E350, 12' E550
My E-class has been in dealer for about 10 times for all kinds fix in the first 2 years, but I still like it. Nothing beats the driving on my MY12 E550.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by sharpxia
My E-class has been in dealer for about 10 times for all kinds fix in the first 2 years, but I still like it. Nothing beats the driving on my MY12 E550.
This is why having a great relationship with your SA is very important.
I guess I am bring another bottle of wine tomorrow when I see him for the recall.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Reliabiity is the issue

Originally Posted by Trancebolt

It is paying off huge dividends for that car class/demographic. The CLA did not take C class buyers, it introduced new buyers from all levels. The CLA was a major success. Actually, all car companies are going both ways: maserati and aston and the like making more affordable cars, and mb reviving brands like maybach.
Bottom line: Mercedes has a wide range of models, I like how you can say its unreliable, the cars BRAND NEW.
While the sales look good so far, way too early to determine if "paying off huge dividends." It will take three years to determine that.
It is taking sales from the "C class, just as GLA will take them from the GLK, but takes years to actually determine that also.
Maserati is selling a less expensive car because FIAT OWNS IT! BTW, it has not been rated well either.
DAG (not MB) lost many millions (billions?) of Euros on the Maybach. Too early to see if a Mercedes-Maybach will be successful.
Mercedes-Benz does have a very wide range of models and maybe that is part of the problem.
The CLA has sold enough models that a very large number of people have REPORTED significant reliability and quality issues. Same for the new "S" Class. Even more important, these issues exist in a Mercedes-Benz.
We all like our cars, but M-B reliability has been slipping and maintenance is costly.
The other issue is will selling a lower priced vehicle eventually erode the cachet of owning the Silver Star? And make no mistake, most people who purchase a luxury make do so for the badge as much as anything else.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-27-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
What is being missed here is that Mercedes HAS to build the CLA/GLA cars or severely hurt their business. Because of the market trend being towards smaller more efficient product and the demands of the corporate CAFE requirements, they have no alternative and still compete in the U.S. market.

Job 1 had to be to design a product that would sell in quantity and maintain some level of profit. From a sales perspective, they appear to have exceeded their expectations witness the plants running 24/7. There will be time to go back to design to fix those problems incurred both in this series and the redesigns of the C and S classes. A natural progression we have seen from Mercedes and most other manufacturers.

While no one can actually say the cars are horrible, I would agree they are not yet the standard Mercedes would like. Great sales will afford them the opportunity to correct that situation. Poor sales would have certainly complicated the process. It is easy to forget the position Audi and Volkswagen were in where the product had issues combined with no sales. It took them both decades to overcome that scenario.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not necessarily

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
What is being missed here is that Mercedes HAS to build the CLA/GLA cars or severely hurt their business. Because of the market trend being towards smaller more efficient product and the demands of the corporate CAFE requirements, they have no alternative and still compete in the U.S. market.
Maybe, but they could also phase out many of the very inefficient, but highly profitable, models they sell. Then they would meet the CAFE standards, as other makes do.
THE issue is not whether or not MB sells a smaller, more efficient car, but whether they sell a cheaper (advertised by MB that way) car that is not up to MB standards and has quality issues.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by El Cid
Maybe, but they could also phase out many of the very inefficient, but highly profitable, models they sell. Then they would meet the CAFE standards, as other makes do.
THE issue is not whether or not MB sells a smaller, more efficient car, but whether they sell a cheaper (advertised by MB that way) car that is not up to MB standards and has quality issues.
Yep
Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE

I really don't know which cars you would start cutting? They sell around 1200 G's a year. The total S Class sales and SL sales are far short of 10% of sales in this country. Other than adding higher mileage sales to the mix, cutting would need to start with the E series.

Mercedes has no higher mix of low mileage cars to high mileage cars than BMW, Cadillac, etc. Other luxury makes are attempting the same strategy as Mercedes and have all the same problems with reliability and teething problems with new models.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 250
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
This is true. The new Golf has been described as a mini S class because of it's ride quality.
This!

We wanted a nice, but cheaper small car to run errands with and we ended up buying a 2015 GTI. the main reason was that the darn thing felt an awful lot like a much smaller version of our E250 as far as ride quality. Not quite the same, but certainly close enough for a $30 car.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Mercedes has no higher mix of low mileage cars to high mileage cars than BMW, Cadillac, etc.
This is not true, AFAIK. BMW gets to count all of the MINI cars in this fleet mileage, and Cadillac is folded in w/ ALL GM cars (including Chevrolet). Lexus gets folded in with Toyota, and Infinitis gets included w/ Nissans. Audis are a part of VW.

MB is the only mainstream luxury car maker (I'm not including Jaguar, Land Rover, etc) that doesn't have an entire division of subcompacts and family sedans to offset the rest of its fleet. Porsche is in a similar situation....

Originally Posted by michael61
This!

We wanted a nice, but cheaper small car to run errands with and we ended up buying a 2015 GTI. the main reason was that the darn thing felt an awful lot like a much smaller version of our E250 as far as ride quality. Not quite the same, but certainly close enough for a $30 car.
I assume you mean $30k car?

This was also my impression of the GTI. The stiffness of the structure and the ride quality (firm but w/ enough taken off of the very roughest bumps) reminded me a lot of the MBs that I so loved from the 1980's and 1990's. So much so that I'm seriously considering getting a Golf Sportwagen as a replacement for my W204. The W205 is too expensive and appears to having a ton of reliability issues. If I'm going to get an unreliable German car, I might as well spend less.

Last edited by alsyli; 03-01-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smart?

Originally Posted by alsyli
This is not true, AFAIK. BMW gets to count all of the MINI cars in this fleet mileage, and Cadillac is folded in w/ ALL GM cars (including Chevrolet). Lexus gets folded in with Toyota, and Infinitis gets included w/ Nissans. Audis are a part of VW.

MB is the only mainstream luxury car maker (I'm not including Jaguar, Land Rover, etc) that doesn't have an entire division of subcompacts and family sedans to offset the rest of its fleet. Porsche is in a similar situation....
Not disagreeing, but if accurate the corporations are measured for CAFE, not the individual makes in each corp. So, wouldn't DAG be able to count Smart in its mileage ratings? Of course, DAG doesn't sell many in US.
Does BMW have to fold in Rolls Royce?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Not disagreeing, but if accurate the corporations are measured for CAFE, not the individual makes in each corp. So, wouldn't DAG be able to count Smart in its mileage ratings? Of course, DAG doesn't sell many in US.
Does BMW have to fold in Rolls Royce?
Ah, good point. Presumably so (for both MB and BMW). Don't know how the calculations work, but, if it's volume-based, Smart probably wouldn't make much of a dent (just as Rolls Royce probably won't affect BMWs corporate average much, either). The gas Smart cars don't get fuel mileage that's THAT impressive, either....
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Sport Wagon - 4Matic
E Class Wagon rated as "most satisfying wagon" (page 14)!