E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Hesitation...fuel issues? Transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350 Bluetec
Exclamation Hesitation...fuel issues? Transmission?

Hi - I have a 2011 E350 BT.

I've noticed, for a while, that my car is a bit hesitant or "jerky" when pulling away from a stop or curb. This does not happen when the car is cold, rather, after it has been driven and parked or stopped for a period of time (not overnight). The best way to describe the "jerky" feeling is like if i removed my foot from the gas and then applied it again. It's not a severe motion, but noticeable.

I can't tell if it's the transmission that is causing the hesitation or something else (fuel filter or system) ? I throw transmission in there since i've noticed that there is a hard shift up to first or down.

In any event, it's getting close to the end of the warranty and was wondering if i should take it for its Service "A". I usually do the oil myself, however, and on the last service i performed, also drained and refilled the adblue.

Any ideas as to what this could be?
The following users liked this post:
Mercy2012 (10-05-2023)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Yes - take it in for service and have them give it a good look before warranty expires.

The following might help
Stability kicking in? Try tuning ESP off. If this helps it may be a tire-traction issue.

Ever give it an "Italian Tune Up"? Let it warm up to temp normally; stop and floor it off the line (in Sport ESP off) check your rear-view for soot. This helps cars that aren't driven hard very often.

Reset your throttle.
1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
My need to replace fuel pump, reference bulletin LI47.20-P-054504 see here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5381790
Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
They drag out tranny service on our cars for a long time past due.... I feel the same lurch applying pedal from stop or power-free cruise state. Also a harsh 1-2, and 3-4. Often. Mine has never had service for tranny and is 1200 miles from svc B. So im not surprised, but you should definitely have them look at anything you feel wrong. I keep thinking torque converter fluid. Lockup clutch re-engagement or the stator switch is causing our problems. It has a complex method of closing/opening disc gap while accelerating and changes it function after removing your foot entirely from the pedal or aplying brake.

They will likely say something to the line of "oh we have to reflash the transmission* or *update the software* but keep coming back if that doesnt work. The car takes some care and careful watching over, but it is sweet when its running as intended. I believe thats partially true, because with the paddles I "CAN" make it shift smoothe as butter, during the same pattern of accel. in automatic it would lurch. So it could partially be that, but truly the fluid for our TC/Tranny has to be a major culprit.

I had my c300 luxury for a whole year before noticing the prior owner caused catalytic converter problems and busted front struts. Even a careful owner can lend his car to his knucklehead son and cause latent underlying problems. MB fixed it and it has been smoothe as silk shifting for over 40000 miles

also the reset tcu thing does not work at all for this problem. in fact, i think it accentuates it more, since it resets the wide open throttle points for each shift.

Last edited by Trancebolt; 02-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e350 w212
I honestly think these transmissions suck. My car does the same with the upshift and downshift. Resetting the throttle did help it a little and I dont feel the "kick" as much anymore.
One thing I hate is the hesitation from changing gears from Drive to Reverse. There is very noticable delay when switching gears especially from Reverse to Drive, the transmission will feel like someone kicked you from behind when trying to accelerate.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
A lag time from R-D engagement indicates an actual problem mechanically. If theres a part thats damaged or bad T.C. fluid it could do that to you.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 PM

e350 Bluetec
Hi and thanks for the info.

I don't think it's the transmission... although I have noticed the hard shifting, it's not as much a concern as the hesitation.

I keep thinking it's the filter or the pump as it's almost like the engine is being starved of a proper fuel supply. I've had a fuel pump go on another non MB and I think it was like that...

It's a very subtle hesitation, but noticeable -esp. for the driver.

I'll report back with anything I find.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM

e350 Bluetec
...another question - if you wanted to draw the attention of the service dept. to one of the bulletins...is there a better way to do this?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Bulldog Creativ
...another question - if you wanted to draw the attention of the service dept. to one of the bulletins...is there a better way to do this?
Check your PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 AM

2019 Land Rover Discovery 2018 BMW 540ix 2013 Land Rover LR4 2007 Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Get the PedalBox. www.pedalboxusa.com