E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
My E was in for the B5 major service (over 87,000 KM) yesterday and I was also given a CLA250 loaner. The car was practically brand new with only 48 KM on the ODO!

Over the two days I had it I drove over 300 KM.
I'm getting to like the "iPad Mini" sized NAV screen with the HD maps display and the superb back up camera.

The 4 banger is very responsive and peppy and the smaller chassis makes it quite a fun car to drive.

Whilst the interior is certainly not as luxurious as the E, one cannot expect it to be the same standard since the CLA is almost half the price of the E.

The FE is pretty impressive too.

IMO if I have a college age son/daughter, I would certainly consider getting one for him/her.

I'm sure M-B has done it's home work before coming up with the CLA.

It should fare well against the Audi A3 or the BMW 2 series.

Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS-cla250-201_zpskejcslzx.jpg

Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS-cla250-203_zpsvobwbeev.jpg

Last edited by DC-IT; 04-14-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
I think the death of Mercedes, and their associated quality, is greatly exaggerated.

Speaking as someone that grew up in a place where a Mercedes had the prestige of a Bentley (Vermont), I drooled at the few that I saw drove by. Or I watched them drive by while I hopped out of my POS 1987 Honda Accord in the middle of an intersection with a buddy to push-start the manual transmission. I had assorted pieces of junk for a long time, all the way through college. Halfway through college in the year 2002 I was driving a 1988 Acura Integra (man, that was a fun car) with 198k miles on it.

All the while, I was obsessed with the idea of someday being able to buy a Mercedes. I loved the brand, the look, the solid clunk of the doors. I worked my *** off after I got out of college. About 9 years after college I got my first MB, a used '08 CLK 350 with low miles.

There are no words to describe the joy of driving that car off the lot. It was pure automotive heaven. I'd "arrived." Two years later I'm now driving a 2014 C250 Sport because I found a crazy lease deal that I couldn't pass up, and I still love it. I love walking out to my car, and I love it when I take coworkers out for lunch in it. Every non-MB driver loves it.

It's a W204 C, but to me it's more than its four-banger with the touchy, laggy throttle, the seats I wish hugged my back more, and the rougher ride than the more expensive models. I love going out to the car and driving it every day. Why? Because it's a Benz, and I worked for and earned it. It's a blast to drive in Sport mode, and I haven't had a single issue with it outside of the crappy wipers.

I suspect that this feeling I describe is what some drivers of the CLA and GLA feel when they get into their Benz for the first time (as the C used to be the bottom rung), and this "magic" is what Mercedes is trying to generate. If the cars don't live up to that, consumers will vote with their wallets and purses.

That being said, I personally think the CLA and GLA are too small, so I'd definitely go with a higher range CPO model. But I don't think they are the death knell of Mercedes, its quality, or anything like that.
I really like your post. I had a lot of the same experience as you and I felt the same way when I got my first Benz, a CPO E350. Even though it was used, not brand new, it felt like magic to me coming from POS cars before. It made me feel like my hard work paid off. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM

C63
Originally Posted by DC-IT
My E was in for the B5 major service (over 87,000 KM) yesterday and I was also given a CLA250 loaner. The car was practically brand new with only 48 KM on the ODO!

I'm getting to like the "iPad Mini" sized NAV screen with the HD maps display and the superb back up camera.

The 4 banger is very responsive and peppy and the smaller chassis makes it quite a fun car to drive.

Whilst the interior is certainly not as luxurious as the E, one cannot expect it to be the same standard since the CLA is almost half the price of the E.

IMO if I have a college age son/daughter, I would certainly consider getting one for him/her.

did that feel like a car that's about 40k US? because with the options it has (color, nav, heated seats, wheels) it's right there, if not more (did it have K-G and the h/k sound sys?).

see, to me, that seems like a lot for that car. in that range, it has a A LOT of loaded competition.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Good point

Originally Posted by builthatch
did that feel like a car that's about 40k US? because with the options it has (color, nav, heated seats, wheels) it's right there, if not more (did it have K-G and the h/k sound sys?).

see, to me, that seems like a lot for that car. in that range, it has a A LOT of loaded competition.
Very good point. The ads I have seen for the CLA and GLA are selling it primarily as a Mercedes-Benz for less than $30,000. When you get through adding the standard options most people expect, the price can really get up there.
I still wonder about the reactions when they take it in for 10K service and are told it costs $200-300. Then $400 for 20k and $1,000 for 40K.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by builthatch
first of all, i am happy that you are into the car so much. that is sensational. being pleased with such a major purchase is ideal.

but, i disagree on your assessment of comparison.

similar quality, better warranty (if you plan on staying in it), same equipment (if not more) and BETTER PRICE for similar everything.

the only thing that separates the lower line stuff from competitors is styling (not equipment), the brand and price.
I agree. Where the CLA absolutely does not compare in quality and overall sophistication is to the A3. And the 2 Series is a much more fun and dynamic car, but a different category altogether as it's not nearly as practical (even though the CLA makes terrible use of space for even its compact size).

I just got my fiancé a new Mazda 3 i Sport. Which has gotten acclaims as being by far the sportiest and most high quality class leader (even got some recent "Car of the Year's").

IMO, the Mazda 3 drives comparable to and handles even better than a base CLA. I think in many ways it actually drives better as it's a bit bumpy, but not as harsh. It's also considerably lighter, and extremely solid. The CLA is not an impressive driving car, at all, to me, quite the opposite.

The Mazda Connect infotainment I think is far above COMAND in the CLA as well (and far above PCM in the Porsche as well, for that matter). It's like the best of iDrive and Audi MMI combined (and it ripped off the iDrive knob and Audi volume controller), and throws a touchscreen for good measure, on the same trendy gimmicky "stick up screen" on the dash (which is more elegantly applied than the current Benz "taped on screens" look, imo). It's a fantastic system and car, and listed at $20,515 MSRP. MUCH less for imo in many ways, a better car. I even think the design looks competitive to a CLA as I'm not into the CLA design so much, and the 3 I think is the only car in its class that can be considered even remotely "handsome" (I think it's a great design, unfortunately with FWD proportions which it disguises better than anything else in its class, but the CLA is also hampered by FWD proportions which give it a bean-bag profile).

Interior of the new Mazda 3 is so sophisticated and premium for a car of its range, I actually think it looks more grown up in some ways than the CLA's interior. It's also imo more harmonious as it doesn't have the cheaped out/haphazard "ran out of R&D" look of how the doors look totally mismatched from the CLA dashboard (as if they were designed for different cars entirely). And the CLA plastics are so cheap that I think they're comparable in material quality as well, with the Mazda outshining it in many ways. Keep in mind, the Mazda costs a LOT less.

I was searching for a lot of cars in the CLA and under range. And the CLA was probably the least competitive than all. For how cheap M-B is leasing the W205 which is on another universe of interior quality, I think it's certainly worth whatever premium over the badge-exploitiation that the CLA conveys.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
At last count, I've owned or leased about 60 new cars, all for personal use. About half were German, about half Japanese, with a few Corvettes and a Rolls thrown in for good measure. My wife and I currently drive E & S sedans respectively, with an older SL "garage queen," because it's so darn pretty! We drive these cars first and foremost because I think they are engineered to be as safe as possible for their class, while being luxurious, prestigious--and, we happen to really LIKE them. All that said, I feel that there are Asian brands out there that are simply spectacular. I happen to be a huge fan of Toyota and Honda and happen to think that the current Accord sedan is one of the most beautiful sedans ever produced. I am also watching, with great interest, the steady and somewhat impressive recent accomplishments of American manufacturers, hoping that they may one day truly be top tier players once again. However, at the end of the day, when all the positives and negatives of all the passenger cars are tallied and after we review our finances, we feel that we drive the best cars for us, at this particular point in time. In the end, isn't that what we all do? I hope you are all enjoying what you drive. We certainly are.

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500

I don't like the "Ipad double sided taped to the dash" look on the
c class. It looks like an after thought. The C250 I had as a loaner was noisy, and the engine had to rev up too much on entrance ramps.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Andriy242
I gotta chime in here.
So I am just getting into my mid twenties this month and last year I as well picked up a benz. Why? Because its a Benz and it was made in Germany
So you have a 07P German production W204? Have you verified on your door placard that it is not a South African production car (of which there is no difference in build quality...)?
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Bil

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2000 Mustang GT Vert. Supercharged

I did test drive CLA250 4MATIC last January when we were looking to my wife's new car. First off, interior is less luxurious and material used not same quality as my C300.

Driveability is dynamic, ride is pretty firm and chassis seem rigid, double clutch gearbox in sport mode is superb. Biggest issue was starting from stoplight, there is an important lag (throttle hesitation) in gas pedal, that was really annoying and decreased the driving experience. Also rear seat headroom is terrible.

My wife opted for A3 Quattro mainly because of interior seems better quality and better response from the throttle gas pedal.

Personally I would not say that CLA is not a good car nor it would not deserved MB logo on the front grill.

Last edited by Bil; 04-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 GLC63
My wife and I are on our 2nd set of C300's. First set 2012's.. now we have 2 2014's, mine has the AMG Sport Package.

My wifes family is all Mercedes Benz... Her mother S550, CLA250 and her father C63 AMG 2012.

My C300 has been in the shop all week and I have been driving a GLA 250.

My opinon my C300 handles like crap. This GLA blows it out of the water. The C300 is all over the place on the highway the steering is way to light which allows for way to much oversteer. The GLA on the other hand is solid and planted... The steering is Tight (Maybe too tight for some) tight like a proper sports car /suv.

As far as the engine there is noticeable lag when you start out untill you finally get going over 2k rpms..

As far as people saying the GLA is cheap I have to disagree.. Of course if you are comparing a fully equipped E550 to a GLA your a moron to begin with ... that would be double the price!

So my wife and I both are scratching our heads trying to figure out how a GLA 250 handles better than a C300 with AMG sports package.. but its true it does.. It handles very well.. it handles in my opinion better than it should.

I used to own a 600 rwhp Z28 that I built the motor for so I do have some idea of what a proper sports car should handle like. Steering has to be tight for starters or a set up suspension wont matter you will over steer yourself into a tree. Which is exactly the problem I am having with my 2014 C300.. the steering is unacceptably light or loose however you want to describe it.

The driving experience I had in the GLA was much much better than in my C class. Maybe I got a lemon.. but the dealer does not seem to think so they keep giving it back to me telling me there's nothing wrong with it. Sure the GLA could have had more power, it could have been a little quieter in side, the quality of the materials could have been better. but I would be buying the GLA simply for the handling and because it is a Mercedes Benz.

If there is a car I am dissapointed in it is my C class not the GLA 250.. Maybe I will go for the GLA 45 when it is time to trade in my C300 if they cant fix my steering and make it handle like a proper sports car is supposed to.. like the GLA i have right now already does.

Last edited by 2014c300; 04-28-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM

2013 C250 Sport P1
It was less than impressive NVH that steered me away from a new CLA and into a CPO C250.

IMHO the only CLA I'd be interested in is the CLA45. Sure the CLA has build issues, but nothing that a professional disassembly / reassembly won't cure.