E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on E550

Hi everyone, has anyone put a set of the new Pilot AS3 on there W212. My original Pirelli's are done and I am looking to replace ASAP. Given the reading I have done online this seems to be the choice right now with the Conti DWS ot too far behind

Thoughts on the best summer tire to be putting on? I have snows so I don't care about winter driving
Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
According to Car & Driver tests and Consumer Reports

You've got the best 2 candidates for all season tires.

For summer performance tires, almost everyone agrees that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are by far the best tires and the other contenders are not even close. The Continental DW would be considered a "best buy" since you usually find them for about 35% less than the SS and they are about the best of the other contenders. I have the SS on my car and they are, by far, the best non-track tire I have ever owned and well worth the money. I've had them for a year and they look like they will easily give me 30K+ miles which is very good for a high performance tire. I've worn out others around 20K on other cars. My son uses the DW and he likes them and they wear even better than the SS.

Be aware, according to the C&D article on tire performance, the Yokohama and Toyo high performance summer tires suffer "cold compound cracking" where the rubber cracks if exposed to temps below about 15 degrees even if they are only sitting in an unheated garage and not mounted on your car.

So now the question is A/S vs. SS? They are about the same price. If you believe Michelin's tire wear rating, the A/S tread will last about 1/3 longer longer but the SS has better traction and cornering. If you are not an aggressive driver, the A/S is a more practical choice. If you are just a freeway cruiser, the Conti DW will serve you well.

Last edited by VegasE; 04-13-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Sean1234
Hi everyone, has anyone put a set of the new Pilot AS3 on there W212. My original Pirelli's are done and I am looking to replace ASAP. Given the reading I have done online this seems to be the choice right now with the Conti DWS ot too far behind

Thoughts on the best summer tire to be putting on? I have snows so I don't care about winter driving

I have Nokian zLine in 17" size now. Before this had the same in staggered 18" size.

Very quiet and comfortable tires with superior wet traction. And these probably cost a lot less than the big name brand tires as "nobody" knows about them. Nokian is known for the winter tires they make but they also make superior quality summer tires like the zLine is. Can't go wrong with these.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Don't know about Toronto where the Op is

Originally Posted by Arrie
I have Nokian zLine in 17" size now. Before this had the same in staggered 18" size.

Very quiet and comfortable tires with superior wet traction. And these probably cost a lot less than the big name brand tires as "nobody" knows about them. Nokian is known for the winter tires they make but they also make superior quality summer tires like the zLine is. Can't go wrong with these.

But in the western US they are within 10% of the Michelins, if you can find them at all, so they are not "a lot less". Consumer Reports rates the Z line highly, the other Nokian all seasons rate below average.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
A/S 3 all day everyday with mind in tread wear.
Designed and made in North America for North America ...

If you have another car for snow then go with summer only PSS.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 PM

2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
thanks for the info, gone and order the A/S 3's getting them installed next Monday so I will let everyone know what I think.

The Super Sports I think would just be overkill for the type of driving I do. Would be nice but I would rather have the tread life of the A/S
Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by VegasE
You've got the best 2 candidates for all season tires.

For summer performance tires, almost everyone agrees that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are by far the best tires and the other contenders are not even close. The Continental DW would be considered a "best buy" since you usually find them for about 35% less than the SS and they are about the best of the other contenders. I have the SS on my car and they are, by far, the best non-track tire I have ever owned and well worth the money. I've had them for a year and they look like they will easily give me 30K+ miles which is very good for a high performance tire. I've worn out others around 20K on other cars. My son uses the DW and he likes them and they wear even better than the SS.

Be aware, according to the C&D article on tire performance, the Yokohama and Toyo high performance summer tires suffer "cold compound cracking" where the rubber cracks if exposed to temps below about 15 degrees even if they are only sitting in an unheated garage and not mounted on your car.

So now the question is A/S vs. SS? They are about the same price. If you believe Michelin's tire wear rating, the A/S tread will last about 1/3 longer longer but the SS has better traction and cornering. If you are not an aggressive driver, the A/S is a more practical choice. If you are just a freeway cruiser, the Conti DW will serve you well.

Below a link to a large tire test / information site. If you scroll down the page you will come to a short list of best tires in different tires categories. See what is the best and where the Pilot Super Sport falls in.

You say nothing comes even close to it...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Below a link to a large tire test / information site. If you scroll down the page you will come to a short list of best tires in different tires categories. See what is the best and where the Pilot Super Sport falls in.

You say nothing comes even close to it...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/
First of all OP is looking at A/S 3 not PSS. Let's clear that out the way.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Your link gave me this review and it's perfectly inline with what PSS design goal of "Total Performance" where a sticky high performance tire giving best blend of longevity and grip through the use of mixed compound technology. You see that Conti CSC 5P has better ultimate grip but comfort level and wear are sacrificed.

Nice link for good read.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM

I put more weight on reviews from magazine/tirerack.com side-by-side comparisons vs user submitted ones.

I see there's a huge value with the zLines when looked at in a grip/$ ratio and everyone there loves it.

Last edited by instantfob; 04-13-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM

thanks for the info, gone and order the A/S 3's getting them installed next Monday so I will let everyone know what I think.

The Super Sports I think would just be overkill for the type of driving I do. Would be nice but I would rather have the tread life of the A/S
Don't forget to register your tires on Michelin's page and get the promise plan benefits.

http://www.michelin.ca/automotive-tires/warranty.page

30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance
Limited Mileage Warranty
Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Great choice - they are the tires I would get. I had the A/S2 on my previous car and I loved them.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
my next tires of sure!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
I have the Michelin PS AS on my C Class 4 Matic. Great tire in all conditions including snow. Smooth, quiet ride and they track beautifully under any road condition. Highly recommend them for your E Class.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 AM

2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Originally Posted by pdeacon
I have the Michelin PS AS on my C Class 4 Matic. Great tire in all conditions including snow. Smooth, quiet ride and they track beautifully under any road condition. Highly recommend them for your E Class.
Thanks, I'll have a full report once I get them put on next week. Looking forward to some nice tires as the original Pirelli's are done
Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
i run conti dw on my sl550 and love them and soon will buy two more for my front tires.
different type of driving though and great price compared to the michelins

the michelins would work great on the E...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
If you haven't already, check out tirerack.com ... They've got user feedback and test reviews.

Here's a recent thread on new tires. As I recall, the Pilot AS/3 doesn't score as well as other in winter conditions. Since you're using dedicated snow tires, that shouldn't matter. The AS/3 looks to be a solid handler in the wet and dry.

Happy shopping

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...new-tires.html
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM

2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Had the tires installed yesterday and as soon as I left the shopping it was pouring rain. Good chance to see what the wet weather traction would be. The tires performed excellent and as well as I expected. Grip was there without issue and when going through some standing water on the highway no issue with hydroplaning or anything.
On the drive to work this morning it was sunny and dry. Again tires performed really well and I am able to push the car through the corners much more then with the stock Pirelli's. Sidewalls feel much stronger and the whole car foes not feel like its leaning on the sidewalls through the turns. Road noise I would say is slightly less, however the ride is a tiny bit harder than it was before but nothing that would make me not like the tires. They feel similar to the Dunlops I had on my old 550I

Anyway so far great tire and if anyone is looking for a good alternative to going with the Super Sports these are worth looking at for sure
Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM

Had the tires installed yesterday and as soon as I left the shopping it was pouring rain. Good chance to see what the wet weather traction would be. The tires performed excellent and as well as I expected. Grip was there without issue and when going through some standing water on the highway no issue with hydroplaning or anything.
On the drive to work this morning it was sunny and dry. Again tires performed really well and I am able to push the car through the corners much more then with the stock Pirelli's. Sidewalls feel much stronger and the whole car foes not feel like its leaning on the sidewalls through the turns. Road noise I would say is slightly less, however the ride is a tiny bit harder than it was before but nothing that would make me not like the tires. They feel similar to the Dunlops I had on my old 550I

Anyway so far great tire and if anyone is looking for a good alternative to going with the Super Sports these are worth looking at for sure
Excellent review Sean1234! It's awesome when a simple change of tires put the SPORT back into our "sports sedan". Don't forget to register your tires at Michelin site.