Tire/Wheel Insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Tire/Wheel Insurance

Bought my 2015 E400 3 days ago.
Finance officer offered a 4 yr tires/wheels insurance contract for over $1500.

I passed.

I bought a 5 yr tires/wheels insurance contract last yr for my 2014 Corvette for $400.

I'm thinking, based on my previous purchase for the Vette for larger tires (19" & 20") & performance wheels for a lower price from GM dealer, that the $1500 price for these 18" tires are really too expensive. Esp my wife won't be driving the E400 as aggressively as I will my Vette...

Thoughts...?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
tire/wheel insurance

At that high price, I would pass unless you drive frequently on pot-holed roads.

Congrats on your new E400 !

Last edited by DerekACS; 04-27-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Rip-off

Originally Posted by NickTH
Bought my 2015 E400 3 days ago.
Finance officer offered a 4 yr tires/wheels insurance contract for over $1500.

I passed.

I bought a 5 yr tires/wheels insurance contract last yr for my 2014 Corvette for $400.

I'm thinking, based on my previous purchase for the Vette for larger tires (19" & 20") & performance wheels for a lower price from GM dealer, that the $1500 price for these 18" tires are really too expensive. Esp my wife won't be driving the E400 as aggressively as I will my Vette...

Thoughts...?

First, your rims are already insured against road hazards (minus any deductible) by your auto insurance.

Second, many tire stores (Discount and America's Tires here in the West) will sell you life tire insurance for about 10% of the cost of the tire per tire. This is true even if you did not buy the tires there, as in a new vehicle.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
You guys clearly don't live in NYC. Man, the roads here are a disaster and fixing wheels out of round on my sports car irks me to no end. Consequently, I'm a big fan of wheel and tire insurance.

Tire Rack tire insurance is a reasonably good deal but it's a bit of work to negotiate and often only covers repairs. Unfortunately, for sportier tires, replacement is often the better and only option.

Wheel repair and/or replacement is another deal entirely. It's really key to read the fine print on any program and ensure that it'll cover potholes, curb rash, etc.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
$1500 is STEEEEP - wouldn't do it.

Didn't get it on my E550, BIG MISTAKE several bent and cracked rims later - the AMG/Ronals are soft as all hell, mine are all slightly out of round for sure.

My OZ Envy winter 17s, hit a hidden pothole in the snow, looked like a steel plate had shifted - felt like I hit a curb...cracked 2 rims and bubbled the sidewalls on both tires. Recently had the tirerack experience thanks to a toll booth crater at the TZ Bridge in NY. God forbid we should fix the potholes in the "fast" 20mph+ lanes of the toll plaza and it worked fine - dealership took care of everything with tirerack to replace the tire due to bubbled sidewall - that's another thing the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s have awful sidewall strength.

Bought warranty for my Ford Fusion (commuter) for like $400 but luckily have not had to use it.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:13 PM

E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
$1500 is STEEEEP - wouldn't do it.

Didn't get it on my E550, BIG MISTAKE several bent and cracked rims later - the AMG/Ronals are soft as all hell, mine are all slightly out of round for sure.

My OZ Envy winter 17s, hit a hidden pothole in the snow, looked like a steel plate had shifted - felt like I hit a curb...cracked 2 rims and bubbled the sidewalls on both tires. Recently had the tirerack experience thanks to a toll booth crater at the TZ Bridge in NY. God forbid we should fix the potholes in the "fast" 20mph+ lanes of the toll plaza and it worked fine - dealership took care of everything with tirerack to replace the tire due to bubbled sidewall - that's another thing the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s have awful sidewall strength.

Bought warranty for my Ford Fusion (commuter) for like $400 but luckily have not had to use it.
Hey Johnny,

Call me Sheldon because I'm not sure if that is sarcasm I am detecting in the beginning of your response.

I just bought a 2012 E63 and the dealer offered tire and rim protection. Up north of the border, the cost of 3 years of protection is just a little less than $3K (CDN but money is money!). From the sound of it, you would have used it to good effect on your E550.

Thanks.

DrC

PS this is my first post here
Old 04-29-2015, 10:45 PM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Originally Posted by drchuck72
Hey Johnny,

Call me Sheldon because I'm not sure if that is sarcasm I am detecting in the beginning of your response.

I just bought a 2012 E63 and the dealer offered tire and rim protection. Up north of the border, the cost of 3 years of protection is just a little less than $3K (CDN but money is money!). From the sound of it, you would have used it to good effect on your E550.

Thanks.

DrC

PS this is my first post here
Haha - no not sarcasm...should've pointed out that a more reasonable price that I was offered was around $400...but still should've done it. Remember it is insurance, not prepaying for new rims and tires - which is what $1500 feels more like. On an AMG with "real" AMG wheels - I could see the price being higher as well, but still - for $1500 I could get a a pretty nice set of aftermarket wheels, or at least cover 50% of a realllllly nice set of wheels. The logic I used was that I didn't buy it on my E350 and it worked out fine for me - little did I know that the airmatic suspension of the 550 was such crap.