E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Attacked by huge rocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E-350 P2 Cuprite Brown/Chestnut
Attacked by huge rocks

I'm so upset and infuriated. Last night my car was attacked by several huge rocks that broke the passenger tail light, mirror, several dent and scratches on door, side skirt, roof spoiler and front and back bumper.

It was a minor that confessed to the police later and said he did it.

I'm awaiting police report and I was told to start the process of calling my insurance and getting an estimate.

If you have gone through this ordeal and have any advice, I will appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Had it happen on a new Cadillac I just got. The parents of the child paid in cash for the repairs. That is the only way I would not file charges against the child. Did not involve the insurance. The parents also made the child apologize.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Your car wasn't attacked by rocks, it was attacked by some loser.
I suggest you pass along some of that -upset and infuriated - to where it rightfully belongs. Press charges and make them stick, otherwise another story of some dips*** getting a free pass.
Maybe just me, I mind my own business and leave people alone, but zero tolerance for someone messing with family/property.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mud
I suggest you pass along some of that -upset and infuriated - to where it rightfully belongs. Press charges and make them stick, otherwise another story of some dips*** getting a free pass.
Maybe just me, I mind my own business and leave people alone, but zero tolerance for someone messing with family/property.
+1 ....these losers need to learn!!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mud
Your car wasn't attacked by rocks, it was attacked by some loser. I suggest you pass along some of that -upset and infuriated - to where it rightfully belongs. Press charges and make them stick, otherwise another story of some dips*** getting a free pass. Maybe just me, I mind my own business and leave people alone, but zero tolerance for someone messing with family/property.
I am pressing charges.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Sorry to hear. Good for you to press charges and figure out what the motive was here.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by dbldpr
Had it happen on a new Cadillac I just got. The parents of the child paid in cash for the repairs. That is the only way I would not file charges against the child. Did not involve the insurance. The parents also made the child apologize.
This is the best resolution the OP can hope for. If you file with insurance you can only go after the minor/parents for the deductible and your rates can rise (Insurance can in theory go after the responsible party, but likely will not). If you pay yourself and don't involve insurance you can hold the responsible parties for the real cost of the damage.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by AnirInTexas
I am pressing charges.
Good for you. There's a big difference between youth indiscretion and destruction of private property.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Contact an attorney

Originally Posted by rediesel
This is the best resolution the OP can hope for. If you file with insurance you can only go after the minor/parents for the deductible and your rates can rise (Insurance can in theory go after the responsible party, but likely will not). If you pay yourself and don't involve insurance you can hold the responsible parties for the real cost of the damage.
Contact an attorney before you try this. If they do not have any money, there is nothing to go after. If they do not willingly pay promptly, you have to get an attorney to sue them, convince a judge their kid did it (they'll deny it by then) and if you win, wait for courts to get parents to pay up. Attorneys are the only ones who win here.
Pressing charges helps to substantiate a case and may help with a victim's advocate help to get payment from parents.
Good luck whichever route you take.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid
Contact an attorney before you try this. If they do not have any money, there is nothing to go after. If they do not willingly pay promptly, you have to get an attorney to sue them, convince a judge their kid did it (they'll deny it by then) and if you win, wait for courts to get parents to pay up. Attorneys are the only ones who win here.
Pressing charges helps to substantiate a case and may help with a victim's advocate help to get payment from parents.
Good luck whichever route you take.
He already confessed that he did it, so I don't have to convince a judge.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mud
Totally agree!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My confusion

He already confessed that he did it, so I don't have to convince a judge.
Forgot the part where you said he confessed to police. Tht will be a big help if you have to go to court. However, my thinking primarily was that you would have to convince the judge that the parents would have to pay and how much. Then you would have to get the money from them.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
If you rent move to a more benz friendly area.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Small claims court if the parents don't immediately pay. From what you described it's going to be at least $5K if done correctly (whole panels painted).
Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I'm so upset and infuriated. Last night my car was attacked by several huge rocks that broke the passenger tail light, mirror, several dent and scratches on door, side skirt, roof spoiler and front and back bumper.

It was a minor that confessed to the police later and said he did it.

I'm awaiting police report and I was told to start the process of calling my insurance and getting an estimate.

If you have gone through this ordeal and have any advice, I will appreciate it.

Yes, a minor vandalized our GMC Suburban a few years ago. I made a deal with the kid's parents that if they paid for all damages I would drop the charges. They paid up and I dropped the charges. If they had not paid I would have prosecuted the kid.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350Cab
I'm not sure if my earlier post went through so I will try again.
Don't make things harder on yourself. Pursuing the parents on your own can be time consuming, expensive, and very frustrating. File your insurance claim. The company will pay you (minus the deductible) and then consider going after the parents. A good company will include your deductible in its claim and then pass that on to you if recovered after letting the police report and any court proceeding reach their conclusion. A good company will not increase your rates in this situation unless it reveals that you were living in an area with a high crime rate. If they do not include your claim or do raise your rates, consider another company.
I am not sure of the circumstances surrounding the "confession" but that can always be recanted especially when a minor is facing police interrogation. Don't get involved in this by trying to go through small claims court.
This is exactly why we get insurance. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by velocity12
I'm not sure if my earlier post went through so I will try again.
Don't make things harder on yourself. Pursuing the parents on your own can be time consuming, expensive, and very frustrating. File your insurance claim. The company will pay you (minus the deductible) and then consider going after the parents. A good company will include your deductible in its claim and then pass that on to you if recovered after letting the police report and any court proceeding reach their conclusion. A good company will not increase your rates in this situation unless it reveals that you were living in an area with a high crime rate. If they do not include your claim or do raise your rates, consider another company.
I am not sure of the circumstances surrounding the "confession" but that can always be recanted especially when a minor is facing police interrogation. Don't get involved in this by trying to go through small claims court.

This is exactly why we get insurance. Good luck.

I did not "go after the parents", I gave the parents a one time opportunity to pay for the damages and got the full payment from the parents two days after the incident. I would have never spent any time on it but I wanted to give the kid a chance and I did not have to file a claim and/or wait for an insurance adjustor.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I tend to agree with the view that the parents get one shot to take financial responsibility for repairs using new parts and a shop well versed in body work on these cars. I would expect that you are looking at closer to $10000 all in. Keep in mind a headlight unit on these things is about $2000 so what is a tail light?
If they balk then press charges and file your insurance claim. The insurance company most likely will go after the parents and if they recover they may refund your deductible.
Little bugger needs a lesson either at the hands of the parents or the courts. Their choice.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Last night my car was attacked by several huge rocks
Sorry to hear about the vandalism, but interesting choice of words..