E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Peeling sticker off tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC RENNtech Tune
Peeling sticker off tint

Does anyone here have experience with successfully peeling off a sticker from after-market tint? The previous owner of my car was a genius. He attached a sticker to the rear windshield in the bottom right hand corner and on top of the after-market tint. Not only is this place hard to access with your hand (tight corner), the sticker is firmly stuck on there and will not peel off easily. I spent about an hour yesterday using my fingernails and water with paper towel to peel some of it off, about 10%.

I was reluctant to try any "soap". I know that I cannot use ammonia, so the typical Windex is out. Some have tried WD40, others stoner's glass cleaner?

I'm thinking of trying Palmolive with water next.

Has anyone successfully done this without ruining the tint? Even local detailers are refusing the job as the sticker is on top of the tint.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Definitely need to be careful. Soap should be fine with tint (I've had tint shops recommend cleaning with dilute soap). Perhaps carefully use a plastic spatula/paint scraper to scrape the sticker off.

If all else fails I guess you could go to a tint shop and have them remove the old tint and put a new one on. Cost 2-3x times what it does without removal.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Go to the nearest CVS / pharmacy and buy a small box of alcohol pads. Removing a sticker is a piece of cake with this. I use this for removing all stickers and glues from glass. I haven't done with tinted windows though. If I remember my chemistry lessons, alcohol does not contain Ammonia. Or does it? If it doesn't work you can still use the alcohol pads for cleaning small cuts and bruises on your body anyway. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel
Definitely need to be careful. Soap should be fine with tint (I've had tint shops recommend cleaning with dilute soap). Perhaps carefully use a plastic spatula/paint scraper to scrape the sticker off.

If all else fails I guess you could go to a tint shop and have them remove the old tint and put a new one on. Cost 2-3x times what it does without removal.
Yes, I will try soap next and see how it goes. I'm a little hesitant to scrape with any tool at this time, but I may end up doing that in the future if all else fails.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy
Go to the nearest CVS / pharmacy and buy a small box of alcohol pads. Removing a sticker is a piece of cake with this. I use this for removing all stickers and glues from glass. I haven't done with tinted windows though. If I remember my chemistry lessons, alcohol does not contain Ammonia. Or does it? If it doesn't work you can still use the alcohol pads for cleaning small cuts and bruises on your body anyway. Good luck.
I was going to use these LCD cleaning wipes I have. Apparently they do not contain alcohol. I do not believe ammonia is in alcohol..
Old 07-27-2015, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by g4benz
Yes, I will try soap next and see how it goes. I'm a little hesitant to scrape with any tool at this time, but I may end up doing that in the future if all else fails.
I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't have to use any tool if you decide to use alcohol pad. It just peels off like butter (if the general consensus is that alcohol won't damage the tint).
Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't have to use any tool if you decide to use alcohol pad. It just peels off like butter (if the general consensus is that alcohol won't damage the tint).
As per a quick Google search, alcohol is not recommended on tint. It can discolor it, similar but not as bad as ammonia.