E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Door Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door Lock Problems

My 2010 E 350 does not have keyless go. When I walk up to the car and try to unlock (or lock) it the drivers door lock does not respond, all of the other doors respond appropriately. The door unlocks when you pull up on the pin. What could be causing this? I think that the sending unit in the door is defective.

I called the dealer and was told that they have a MINIMUM fee ($150) to determine what the problem is!! What an outrage (yes, I am out of warranty). I am sure they have seen this before and are trying to take advantage of the situation.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
You may want to check with a reputable Indy shop, but.....in my experience (with non MB cars) it is always worthwhile to stick with the dealer when issues such as this arise. I had a reputable Indy shop screw up all the wiring in my driver door while repairing the door lock. Eventually it turned out they didn't have the expertise to deal with it and I temporarily ended up with a separate key only for my driver door. I had to go to the dealer to make everything alright again. I learned the lesson that driver door is not to be messed around with. MB has seat control mechanisms in the door in addition. So pick your battle carefully unless you really know what to do. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
What about when you are in the car and use the lock/unlock on the driver door (not pulling the pin)? Does that activate the lock? If not, that it may be that mechanism.

Dealer will often credit you the diagnostic charge towards the repair if you use them. So if you don't want to tackle yourself, this fee likely won't add to your cost. That doesn't mean the repair part and labor won't be costly.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I was going to suggest what thefisch has offered. If it opens with the unlock inside then the actuator is not likely the issue and you will have to go deeper.
If it doesn't open that way then most likely it is the actuator which an experienced Indy can do.
It could be a vacuum leak on that door only.