Check Engine Light (generic code P2413)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350BT
Check Engine Light (generic code P2413)

The Check Engine light is on, again...
My Bluetec was created as a 2011 model year and has 36K on the clock.

I connected an inexpensive checker and received a P2413 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation System).

I wonder if the generic code reported can be believed and if so how serious could this matter be. I have an appointment but want to be prepared for the possible outcome, if possible.

Oh yea, I've had the DEF heater replaced, oil cooler seal replaced, and of course, the wood trim replaced.

Seems that I've had the "experience"

What could the most recent issue be given the code I read?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by pdisher
The Check Engine light is on, again...
My Bluetec was created as a 2011 model year and has 36K on the clock.

I connected an inexpensive checker and received a P2413 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation System).

I wonder if the generic code reported can be believed and if so how serious could this matter be. I have an appointment but want to be prepared for the possible outcome, if possible.

Oh yea, I've had the DEF heater replaced, oil cooler seal replaced, and of course, the wood trim replaced.

Seems that I've had the "experience"

What could the most recent issue be given the code I read?
I'm not sure how MB does these valves but it could be a break in the circuit. The EGR valve has an actuator and a sensor that sends the signal for the valve opening position.

You could also have a stuck valve meaning that when the computer is asking to move the valve open it will not and you could get an error code.

I used to own a Lincoln LSC Mark VII and I cleaned this valve often as it got jammed by build-up in it, which mostly comes from incompletely burned fuel that causes carbon deposits.

I don't know if you are a hands-on person or if your car is under warranty but this could be an easy DIY fix.
If it is carbon build in the valve causing jammed valve (probably a plunger type valve) I would be more worried about the reason, i.e. is one or more cylinders in your engine not functioning properly...

It can also be just bad fuel quality and over the years just builds in the EGR valve.

I would feel best if it would turn out to be broken circuit or some other sensor issue and not caused by build-up in the valve.

Last edited by Arrie; 08-22-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 AM

2011 E350BT
Thanks Arrie,

The plot has thickened...
The light is now extinguished!
Thinking it a sticky valve, also thinking it will return at some inconvenient time.

I have an appointment for Thursday, trying to decide whether or not to keep it, I guess if it stays off I'll cancel.

Always use name brand Diesel (Shell, Citgo, Sunoco).

Saw a video by Motul on a cleaning product injected directly at the valve to break down the carbon buildup.

Has anyone experienced this (probable) issue and had some type of cleaning or other maintenance preformed?

MB says no additives but I wonder if one that's save for the particulate filter would be helpful in this situation.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Arrie,

The plot has thickened...
The light is now extinguished!
Thinking it a sticky valve, also thinking it will return at some inconvenient time.

I have an appointment for Thursday, trying to decide whether or not to keep it, I guess if it stays off I'll cancel.

Always use name brand Diesel (Shell, Citgo, Sunoco).

Saw a video by Motul on a cleaning product injected directly at the valve to break down the carbon buildup.

Has anyone experienced this (probable) issue and had some type of cleaning or other maintenance preformed?

MB says no additives but I wonder if one that's save for the particulate filter would be helpful in this situation.

I would keep the appointment. The code(s) should be in the memory and perhaps MB diagnostics can tell you if it was an open circuit or if it was stuck valve. It could also be a problem with the valve actuator.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
IMO Arrie hit on 9 out of 10 times the EGR malfunction circuit is activated. Very similar issue on past Vic's I've owned - it was always (in Ford case) the DPFE sensor, not the EGR valve itself.
Dunno if MB uses similar setup, the usual cause on Fords was internal moisture/corrosion within the sensor, followed by poor connection and/or cracked vacuum lines.
Caveat - this was all for gas engines, yours may be a different animal on this system, because of that I think you should keep that appointment as well to verify.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:11 PM

2011 E350BT
Good advice all.
The light is back so it's to the dealer for diagnosis on Thursday.
I'll report out on the finding/repair.

Many Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM

2011 E350BT
Kept my appointment yesterday, waited at the dealer for the diagnosis.

Pulled the car in with the light on.
As the car was pulled into the shop the light was off, that figures. (it's been on and off a few times over the past week)
Stored code indicated, as predicted, an issue relating to EGR actuator
According to the paper work, they cleared the code, performed actuation no issue. Checked the connection re-scanned no code.

Perhaps a loose electrical connection, the oil cooler gasket was replaced not too long ago. Hoping there was a loose or not fully seated electrical connector.

Time will tell. No fee for the inspection and clearing of the code, great news.

I appreciate all the helpful comments/advice!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 PM

2011 E350BT
Now the car is back at the dealer with the CEL on. Diagnosis is;
1.) EGR Valve
2.) EGR Cooler
3.) Pipe and related gaskets etc.

Estimated cost $3200.00.

My third party insurer states that since this is emissions related there is no coverage. Asked the SA as to the coverage under the Federal Emissions warranty and was told he would have to speak to the service manager.

So here's the question;
Is the EGR valve and cooler considered part of the emissions system and therefore covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty?

Any folks that have first hand knowledge (examples??) please feel free to respond !!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
"My third party insurer states that since this is emissions related there is no coverage"

? I thought the opposite would apply - isn't emission equipment federally mandated to be covered for something like 8 yrs/80K miles?
Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM

2011 E350BT
Originally Posted by Mud
"My third party insurer states that since this is emissions related there is no coverage"

? I thought the opposite would apply - isn't emission equipment federally mandated to be covered for something like 8 yrs/80K miles?
Exactly....

The third party doesn't cover it because it should be picked up by the Federal Emissions Warranty.

My concern is the dealer thus far is hesitant, no idea why. It's cause for concern that there has to be some sort of approval. Hoping a decision by the service dept will be a go tomorrow. hoping the decision does not take the holiday weekend.
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

I would imagine that some others out there may have had a similar issue. These OM 642 motors have had trouble.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Is the EGR valve and cooler considered part of the emissions system and therefore covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty?
3 year/50,000 mile warranty for MA see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
11SW.pdf (31.1 KB, 314 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 AM

2011 E350BT
Konigstiger,

Thank you.
Not good news.
I appreciate your posting the page and pointing out the limit.

The car has 37,700 miles, it's unbelievable that this type of failure can occur at such a low mileage.

I'm dismayed.

I've never in 40 years of driving had to expend this kind of money for a repair on any vehicle I've owned.

This repair will represent 10% of the value of the car at the time of purchase (October 2014).

Unbelievable.

Last edited by pdisher; 09-05-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now the car is back at the dealer with the CEL on. Diagnosis is;
1.) EGR Valve
2.) EGR Cooler
3.) Pipe and related gaskets etc.

Estimated cost $3200.00.

My third party insurer states that since this is emissions related there is no coverage. Asked the SA as to the coverage under the Federal Emissions warranty and was told he would have to speak to the service manager.

So here's the question;

Any folks that have first hand knowledge (examples??) please feel free to respond !!

If it is for you, like it seems, to pay for it I would just purchase a new EGR valve with the new sensor and replace the valve and see if that alone fixes it. If not, then get rest of it.

What sensor in the system sees that the cooler is bad anyway? Are they just selling you more job than you actually need?
The following users liked this post:
gk-fisher (03-24-2016)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM

2011 E350BT
Originally Posted by Arrie
If it is for you, like it seems, to pay for it I would just purchase a new EGR valve with the new sensor and replace the valve and see if that alone fixes it. If not, then get rest of it.

What sensor in the system sees that the cooler is bad anyway? Are they just selling you more job than you actually need?

I agree, dealer costs are representative of all components. I'm told that the cooler and pipe are all clogged up. Indy shop may be a bit more flexible and would be willing to attempt what you suggest.

Thank-you
Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, dealer costs are representative of all components. I'm told that the cooler and pipe are all clogged up. Indy shop may be a bit more flexible and would be willing to attempt what you suggest.

Thank-you

Cooler and pipe could also be cleaned...probably. MB shops do not fix anything. All they do is replace parts with new ones.

I would be more worried about the reason why the cooler and pipe are in so bad shape after only 38000 miles. Compression test of the cylinders and spray test of the injectors would be good steps of troubleshooting as it kind of sounds like for some reason all of the fuel is not burning as it should.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
Same Problem

I have a 2011 e 350 bluetec and the egr valve and cooler cooler clogged at 85,000 miles. It cost me a little over $3,000 for labor only. Parts were extra. Did you resolve your EGR cooler problem and if so how and at what cost. I contacted Mercedes and they could not identify the source of the problem other than carbon build up is common in direct injection engines.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DieselDan
I have a 2011 e 350 bluetec and the egr valve and cooler cooler clogged at 85,000 miles. It cost me a little over $3,000 for labor only. Parts were extra. Did you resolve your EGR cooler problem and if so how and at what cost. I contacted Mercedes and they could not identify the source of the problem other than carbon build up is common in direct injection engines.

It does not matter how the fuel is delivered in the cylinder. Direct injection or not the burning process dictates a lot of the carbon build-up. If MB says it is common with direct injection engines then perhaps fuel burning on these engines is not as good as with the older engine types? But they would not admit to that, would they?