Why is it so hrad to find a desire car in a dealer's lot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Why is it so hrad to find a desire car in a dealer's lot

I was about to pull a trigger for a new 2016 E350. However after careful reviewing dealer's lot I couldn't find any car with a reasonable options set. The dealer had over 20 cars in lot.
1. No one car has a leather, however plenty of them have 067 + 068. These two options cost mostly a leather option.
2. No one car has 996, except E63, why? I think surround view is a very useful option and isn't so expensive.
3. From other side plenty of cars have panoramic view or/and 413 and 319.
4. What about folding back seats? Is it standard now? No one car has it.
5. 389 is also rare option
6. Did I mention 997? It is also hard to find

I think ordering of 2016 model is hardly possible since production will stop soon.

I just visited next to MB Hyundai dealer and was surprised how Genesis is good loaded. It has everything besides of surround view (I need to step to the Equus for it, and it is more expensive than E class). Does somebody have experience with Genesis adaptive cruise control? Accordingly to a dealer talk it works only for speeds 15mph and up, when Mercedes supports from 0mph.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by Dema
I was about to pull a trigger for a new 2016 E350. However after careful reviewing dealer's lot I couldn't find any car with a reasonable options set. The dealer had over 20 cars in lot.
1. No one car has a leather, however plenty of them have 067 + 068. These two options cost mostly a leather option.
2. No one car has 996, except E63, why? I think surround view is a very useful option and isn't so expensive.

I think ordering of 2016 model is hardly possible since production will stop soon.

I just visited next to MB Hyundai dealer and was surprised how Genesis is good loaded. It has everything besides of surround view (I need to step to the Equus for it, and it is more expensive than E class). Does somebody have experience with Genesis adaptive cruise control? Accordingly to a dealer talk it works only for speeds 15mph and up, when Mercedes supports from 0mph.
My neighbor has one and loves it. I'll ask about that feature and see what they have to say
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
In 2009, I had to order a 2010 to get a Luxury version of the E350. Took about six weeks to get the car. But I got what I wanted as same price as one on the lot.
The Genesis is a very good car from what I have read. It also has the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. If shopping today, I would probably go with a Genesis rather than a 2016 "E" just based on styling. Had an '07 Azera Limited and it was a great car.
Not sure adaptive cruise control could work at low speeds. Most manufacturers do not permit cruise to engage at low speeds. Usually 30 MPH or more.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
For those of us who don't have the option code list memorized, perhaps you can tell us what you're talking about?

And honestly, the answer to your question is that most people buy a car that has very few options, so that's what the dealer stocks.

If you want something specific or "odd," you'll have to either order or see if the dealer can find one and trade for it.

When I bought mine, I wanted two specific things: P2 and Luxury, and it was like finding a needle in a haystack. My only regret is that my car doesn't have Distronic, as a highway cruiser should have that.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Dealers tend to package what is popular and what will sell. Which is why is hard to find some features on the used market.

FWIW, Toyota in the southeast is the biggest cartel when it comes to this. They will only stock 2-3 of the option levels for a car and they slap on a bunch of worthless (IMO) extra at the port and jack up the sticker by $1-2k. Good luck trying to special order from them down here. At least with MB, you can custom order to your liking.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One problem with MB's is that they have a huge list of options. Many items that come standard or as part of packages on American and Asian cars will be stand-alone options for MB.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
The 350 in particular is difficult to find with good options. Leather is near impossible to find in one. They are ordered and distributed by MB to sell at the low end of the E range.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by El Cid
One problem with MB's is that they have a huge list of options. Many items that come standard or as part of packages on American and Asian cars will be stand-alone options for MB.
Have you tried to order a Porsche? Porsche's options list dwarf's that of MB.

IMHO MB is not truly competing with Asian and certainly not with American cars (I certainly would never look at or even think of either). MB competes with other high end European manufacturers.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250

You're running out of time to order a 2016 sedan. Orders will likely freeze at the end of October at the latest.

Where are you getting the option codes you're quoting above? 360 Camera is 501, what is 996? No idea what 067, 068, 997 are.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not true

Originally Posted by KEY08
The 350 in particular is difficult to find with good options. Leather is near impossible to find in one. They are ordered and distributed by MB to sell at the low end of the E range.
Leather is hard to find as many people didn't want it and it cost $1,000 as an option for leather facing on seats. 100% of the people who have riden in my E350 have been impressed with the quality of the "leather," although I have MBTex.
E350 is not ordered and distributed by MB to sell at the low end of the E range. If dealers and MBUSA were really trying to do that, they would steer people toward the "C" and now CLA classes. 95% of the "E's" I saw on internet or on lots when shopping came equipped with either P1 or P2 packages and some with other options. Still the same when I walk around lots while getting car serviced.
ThreeMB's said: "IMHO MB is not truly competing with Asian and certainly not with American cars (I certainly would never look at or even think of either). MB competes with other high end European manufacturers."
Somewhat true, but I was comparing the manner in which MB and other European manufacturers provide their options compared to simpler and less expensive American and Asian methods.
Regardless, DAG is very aware that lot of people (including MB owners) are comparing MB's to Cadillac and Hyundai Genesis for two American and Asian cars. Not to mention Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. MB competes with many upper mid-level cars, hence the introduction of the CLA and GLA and continuation of the "C" class.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Hyundai are POS in my opinion

The Genesis is a very good car from what I have read. It also has the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. If shopping today, I would probably go with a Genesis rather than a 2016 "E" just based on styling. Had an '07 Azera Limited and it was a great car.
Not sure adaptive cruise control could work at low speeds. Most manufacturers do not permit cruise to engage at low speeds. Usually 30 MPH or more.
The E350 is my wife's car. She, my son, and a neighbor had been buying Hyundais for about the past 10 years. Of the four cars they owned during that time, all of them required major (several $k) repairs not covered under warranty starting at about 65K miles. I get my cars serviced religiously and they are not abused. The Hyundai warranty is a joke. Car components start dropping off the Hyundai warranty coverage list after 1 year of 12K miles. By the time you get to the "powertrain" warranty that covers the last 5 years/50K covers only components that deliver power from the pistons to the wheels. So, for instance, the intake manifold and valves are NOT covered.

My son had a Tiburon, my neighbor a Sonata, and my wife had an XG350 and an Azera. The 4 year old Azera with 40K miles had a catastrophic failure that caused the tranny to drop to 3rd gear while driving in the middle of heavy freeway traffic at 70 mph. After she peeled herself off of the windshield, she amazingly got off to the side of the road without being run over by a truck. She was 75 miles form the nearest dealer so she spent the rest of the day getting the car towed to a dealer, about 3 hours. They would not give her a loaner so she had to rent a car to get home. Yeah it was eventually covered under warranty but my wife refused to drive a Hyundai ever again. (her XG350 stopped running at 70K miles for a $3K non-warranty repair which caused her to get the Azera.) Burned twice, she finally wised up and we decided on a great deal on a low mileage CPO E350 for about the same price as the new crap Azera.

Never get a Hyundai with a manual tranny as my son had with his Tib. Look on line and you will find that Hyundai clutches are notorious for premature failure and the subject of several recalls. No one warranties clutches, so you are on your own. But I've seen lots of stories of unabused clutches failing as early as 5K miles.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
sometimes i dont understand it. why even bother lookin at hyundai if youre in the market for an MB? id understand if its an Audi or a beemer. but an MB and a hyundai? its like shopping for a Tag Heuer then considering seiko.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The OP posted that he was impressed with what Hyundai offered for the cost. While I'm sure some people have had problems with Hyundais, the objective reliability rating sources show much better ratings than MB.
As with any car, I am sure some people can abuse certain components, such as clutches. I've done it myself.
Also, the Hyundai Genesis is classified as a Luxury car in same class as "E."
Incidentally, I am on a site for Hyundai and the comments going back to 2007 are overwhelming positive, especially about the Genesis. Whereas, of the three MB sites I am, there are proportionately far more negative comments.
However, internet "forums" are notoriously inaccurate for obtaining objective evidence. Posters are mainly those dissatisfied with the product.
Look at the second and third Sticky threads on this site for long listing of problems with "E."
Happy Motoring!

Last edited by El Cid; 09-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OP just made a comment

Originally Posted by beejAMG
sometimes i dont understand it. why even bother lookin at hyundai if youre in the market for an MB? id understand if its an Audi or a beemer. but an MB and a hyundai? its like shopping for a Tag Heuer then considering seiko.
The OP just made a comment re: the Hyundai Genesis he saw and I replied. It's the Hyundai Genesis, not just Hyundai in general.
Incidentally, MB is moving down scale, while Hyundai is moving up. That's ironic.
Happy Motoring!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im pretty sure hyundai came up with this.
its human nature to try to classify yourself much higher than what you actually are.

and i think i recall a few months back that we've had this disagreement on another thread before about these two brands. mercedes and hyundai on the same level. its like havin the sun shine in the middle of the night. i still wont change my views as you wont. lets just agree to disagree.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not just Hyundai

Originally Posted by beejAMG
Im pretty sure hyundai came up with this.
its human nature to try to classify yourself much higher than what you actually are.

and i think i recall a few months back that we've had this disagreement on another thread before about these two brands. mercedes and hyundai on the same level. its like havin the sun shine in the middle of the night. i still wont change my views as you wont. lets just agree to disagree.
It's not just Hyundai that classifies Genesis as luxury. The automotive press and websites and consumer organizations do it as well. In fact, Hyundai could spin Genesis and Equus off as a Luxury make, ala Lexus, Acura and Infiniti.
As you said, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-30-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not just Hyundai that classifies Genesis as luxury. The automotive press and websites and consumer organizations do it as well. In fact, Hyundai could spin Genesis and Equus off as a Luxury make, ala Lexus, Acura and Infiniti.
As you said, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

between you and me...you dont secretly own hyundai do you? you can just PM if you want.

i never said anything about genesis' luxury status. a camry and an accord is considered luxury as well. but to say a genesis is at par with an E?

Last edited by beejAMG; 09-30-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
You're running out of time to order a 2016 sedan. Orders will likely freeze at the end of October at the latest.

Where are you getting the option codes you're quoting above? 360 Camera is 501, what is 996? No idea what 067, 068, 997 are.
996 is a parking assistance package with surround view. I have the package in my current E, although I didn't use assistance yet, mostly surround view.
997 is distronic. It was easier for pre facelift models since P2 included most options I wanted. I agree that now selecting desired configuration is trickier.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
The OP posted that he was impressed with what Hyundai offered for the cost. While I'm sure some people have had problems with Hyundais, the objective reliability rating sources show much better ratings than MB.
As with any car, I am sure some people can abuse certain components, such as clutches. I've done it myself.
Incidentally, I am on a site for Hyundai and the comments going back to 2007 are overwhelming positive, especially about the Genesis. Whereas, of the three MB sites I am, there are proportionately far more negative comments.
However, internet "forums" are notoriously inaccurate for obtaining objective evidence. Posters are mainly those dissatisfied with the product.
Look at the second and third Sticky threads on this site for long listing of problems with "E."
Happy Motoring!
Funny thing is that Hyundai's dealer was really impressed seeing my E and asked my opinion about a ride quality comparing to Genesis. I can admit that regardless how many good option and horse power Hyundai car will have, it will be still valued as behind of MB for years.

I also explained him that having some option in a car isn't sufficient to enjoy it. For example my BMW has distronic like option, but it is inferior to MB's counterpart.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny thing is that Hyundai's dealer was really impressed seeing my E and asked my opinion about a ride quality comparing to Genesis. I can admit that regardless how many good option and horse power Hyundai car will have, it will be still valued as behind of MB for years.
thank you.

im not saying hyundai or genesis is a bad brand. just sayin it doesnt compare to an MB or an E...not yesterday, not now, not in the near future.

whilst theres no denying that hyundai has come a long way with so lil time, still not even within the vicinity of where MB stands. end of story.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
I recommend investigating a special order. Did that for my 2014 after searching everywhere for a comparable E350 to my 2010 E350 buyback. That way I got exactly what I wanted, didn't compromise and have no vehicle regrets. And, if you want to, have it delivered in EU from the factory, I do regret not having (making) the time for the EU delivery now, but planning for it with my next MB.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Well the MBWorld forum is filled with mostly satisfied/loyal customers so that speaks volumes about the difference in quality.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Agree somewhat

Happy Motoring!
Hyundai does appear to have better value, on paper. Forums tend to have a larger number of complaints because they are an outlet for frustrated buyers. "Objective" reliability statistics are primarily generated by folks who answer questionnaires so they are not completely objective. Consumer Reports is one source and the E Class is just as reliable as the Hundai Azera and Genesis for the past 5 years. What has dragged MB down as a brand is the reliability of the CLA which has been nothing short of disaster. As I posted earlier, my experience with multiple Hyundais is different as they seemed to fall apart around 65K miles with issues not covered by warranty which is not an issue for those who trade every 3-4 years.

Irrespective of all that, I've found the E350 to be the smoothest riding cruiser I have ever owned that still has great handling when I need it. My wife has a bad back and is sensitive to even freeway bumps and the difference in comfort for her was remarkable. Her recent model Azera was not even close and according to professional reviewers, the Genesis has a much less forgiving suspension than the Azera.