E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Questions about buying an used E-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I just think it's every ten. When it blasts, you know it. It's a fricken mess.
The whole warranty thing is out of hand with CPO and extended warranties,etc.
No one here remembers, but all cars used to come with a 12 month factory warranty. Now it's 3-4 YEARS!

Last edited by KEY08; 11-24-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by jonUF02
My opinion and experience, as well as many published articles say that extended warranties are for suckers and worry warts. The option on my 2012 E550 recently purchased was an extra $2700 for 3 years I think. I believe it's highly unlikely that a car with 50K miles would have some catastrophic event in the next 3 years that would cost more than $2700,
$2700 is hardly a catastrophic failure in a E550, a catastrophic failure will be in the 5 digits. I would have taken that extra three years of warranty for $2700, that price is a bargain, especially for the Mercedes factory extended warranty for a E550.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by jahquan3
It can go both ways. IMO a warranty isn't needed but you better hope for the best. With cars that I did have warranties on I would nitpick any little thing and would take it in. Also I would not look around for a good deal since I had a warranty. Repair/Maintenance prices at the stealership don't always show the true cost when compared to a person who goes to reputable Indy shops. They slap almost any price on those invoices you see, since they literally rob people anyway with some of the prices they charge. I've seen people spend 3x as much on the same work when going to a MB Dealership and still having major issues with worst results then Indies.
I disagree with the "hope for the best" part - as if I'm taking a big risk. If you can afford the $3k for the warranty to begin with, then you already have a nice deposit for any repairs if you don't buy the warranty. And if you never buy warranties on anything, then even if the repairs on a particular car happen to exceed what you would have paid, then so be it. I'm still way ahead in the big picture. It's like any long-term investment strategy - sometimes it goes down, but in the long run it usually goes up. Looked at that way, not buying warranties ever is probably one of the best investment decisions I have ever made. I'm probably up $25k or so on an investment of almost nothing. Also, if a $5k car repair is a life-altering experience for someone, then driving a late model MB might be a bit beyond their means.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Originally Posted by sk2015
I am leaning towards the 2014 as the warranty is pretty important on a merc.

Also, one last question is what are your thoughts on the 2014 e350 4matic vs a Subaru Legacy. I know merc surpasses Subaru on pretty much everything but this car is primarily for the snow so I want to know that I am purchasing the best car for that situation.

Cheers!
A merc and a subie are two entirely different animals. If you want the reliability and cost savings as well as the better handling in snow, go with the subie. My brother now has a fleet of them and he lives in north NJ, where they get lots of snow in the winter on fairly treacherous roads.

If you want the luxury of the merc, then buy the merc. In the past, mb didnt do so well in rust belt states, they had a rep for rusting out. Not sure if that has been corrected as of late, but I know I wouldnt buy a used car from up north or anywhere they put salt on the roads.

As for the warranty stuff, I'm another malcontent that did not buy a warranty with my 2010 when I got it a year ago. It would have run me about 3600 to 4k for 3 years and I figure if I spend any less than that in the 3 years then I am ahead of the game. I'm also one of those people who will fix the car myself if its within my skill level. 700 bucks to fix a backup camera? Sheesh.

So far nothing has gone south, though the backup camera occasionally does not display for whatever reason. Most likely its a bad connection somewhere, I guess Ill wait till it goes out completely or is really problematic. No car is perfect, not a honda, toyota or merc, they all need repairs. But you dont see folks with hondas or toyotas with a high pucker factor if the car has no warranty anymore.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I read somewhere it washes on the first spray of the day and every ten sprays thereafter. I believe someone else asked but it does shoot from the two openings for towing.
The tow hook cover on the front and rear are just for towing, they don't come out of the tow hook. If you have them, you have separate headlamp washers cutouts in the bumper just below the headlights on both sides. In the previous generation, they had a separate button for the washers, but then got rid of them in 2008 and they came on after 5 uses of the windshield washer fluid. I guess they changed it in the latest generation to 10 times. Basically if you're using the windshield washer fluid that much it's probably snowing and the bixenon tends to scatter the light if the lense is dirty. I guess it's not really an issue with halogen or LEDs. But yeah, otherwise they can be considered a pretty useless feature, but it's an MB and it's a luxury car so it's just another luxury feature. I think the rear sunshade is pretty useless too, but it seems to be pretty standard on most of them out there.

As for the warranty discussion, probably true if you're talking about independent warranties, however with MB, you don't know how much of a loss or profit they're actually making on selling them. Independent ones seem to cost more and they can do things like deny claims or just go out of business and take your premiums. Maybe that's because there's no discounting like some other dealers do with MB warranties. For the dealers that sell in other threads, some have mentioned that they just tend to price it about $100 over their costs.

So I think if you can get an MB warranty, that's probably the best, they're not going to go out of business and they don't have a history of denying claims that should be covered, and there are dealers discounting them. Other third party ones could be hit or miss.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
The tow hook cover on the front and rear are just for towing, they don't come out of the tow hook. If you have them, you have separate headlamp washers cutouts in the bumper just below the headlights on both sides.
I think I worded it wrong but I consider the two slots below the headlights that you mentioned as tow hook ups as well. One of the two slots has a silver rod from the trunk that goes into it when getting towed. I know since I had my car towed due to a double blow out. It's not required but the rod can be screwed into one of the slots that the washer fluid shoots out of. That's what I meant by tow hook up since it technically can become a part of the towing process.

You have to pop out the black piece (on my car) to screw the additional towing rod in. When you pop it back in that flaps down when it shoots the fluid out. I confirmed this by having my son press the fluid button as I stood out and watch it. I was like I didn't know it came from the towing rod insertion area. We are talking about the same thing I just didn't explain it properly the first time.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yidney
I disagree with the "hope for the best" part - as if I'm taking a big risk. If you can afford the $3k for the warranty to begin with, then you already have a nice deposit for any repairs if you don't buy the warranty. And if you never buy warranties on anything, then even if the repairs on a particular car happen to exceed what you would have paid, then so be it. I'm still way ahead in the big picture. It's like any long-term investment strategy - sometimes it goes down, but in the long run it usually goes up. Looked at that way, not buying warranties ever is probably one of the best investment decisions I have ever made. I'm probably up $25k or so on an investment of almost nothing. Also, if a $5k car repair is a life-altering experience for someone, then driving a late model MB might be a bit beyond their means.
To me, I only truly look at warranties as saving you in case your tranny, engine, or a major part goes. So, I definitely think hoping for the best in those cases makes sense. If those go especially on our cars it'll be 5 figures quite easily. That's where I do understand the value of getting a warranty, although it's not the end of the world if you don't.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I think I worded it wrong but I consider the two slots below the headlights that you mentioned as tow hook ups as well. One of the two slots has a silver rod from the trunk that goes into it when getting towed. I know since I had my car towed due to a double blow out. It's not required but the rod can be screwed into one of the slots that the washer fluid shoots out of. That's what I meant by tow hook up since it technically can become a part of the towing process.

You have to pop out the black piece (on my car) to screw the additional towing rod in. When you pop it back in that flaps down when it shoots the fluid out. I confirmed this by having my son press the fluid button as I stood out and watch it. I was like I didn't know it came from the towing rod insertion area. We are talking about the same thing I just didn't explain it properly the first time.
Wait, what? The headlamp washer doors and the tow hook insertion point are completely different. The tow hook is down low, so it can connect into the meat of the bumper, not up high near the headlamps. The W212 does not have a button to push for the headlamp washers like the old W211. Are you sure about your story or were you into the sauce a little last night? Lol
Old 11-24-2015, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that there's any room behind the washer for a tow hook. Time to make a video for youtube, could only find this one for a W211, the nozzle seems to take up most of the space behind the cover.

As for his son pressing the fluid button, that could be the windshield washer fluid button and he just pressed it 10 times til fluid came out.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
OP, warranty is a safety net. if youre financing the vehicle and you include the warranty cost in it, its like paying extra $50 a month for it, which others would say, is an awesome deal. if youre unlucky and you have to use if before it expires, yep it did pay for itself.

now for others who "luckily" never have to use it, money down the drain, or they can say, its alright whats the extra $50 a month, right?

indeed it is like gambling, you have to play (purchase the warranty) to know if you'll win or lose in the end. or dont play, and just wait and see. either way youre gambling and with gambling always remember, the house always wins.

a business is there to make money, (unless its a non profit organization) they will always try to sell you more than what you need. im not saying you dont need the warranty, im not saying you do. but for me, its not a deal breaker or sealer. goodluck mate!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KEY08
Wait, what? The headlamp washer doors and the tow hook insertion point are completely different. The tow hook is down low, so it can connect into the meat of the bumper, not up high near the headlamps. The W212 does not have a button to push for the headlamp washers like the old W211. Are you sure about your story or were you into the sauce a little last night? Lol
LMAO...I'm sticking to my story. Nah, seriously, the rod in the trunk near the spare screws into the same spot where the washer fluid piece pops out to spray. There are four slots in total on the front. Two larger then the other two. Maybe the larger two shoot fluid and the smaller two are for the tow hook rod. I'll take a look again today to confirm, but this is just like when I told people my battery was in the trunk an no one believed me but it was ha ha.

Last edited by jahquan3; 11-24-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LMAO...I'm sticking to my story. Nah, seriously, the rod in the trunk near the spare screws into the same spot where the washer fluid piece pops out to spray. There are four slots in total on the front. Two larger then the other two. Maybe the larger two shoot fluid and the smaller two are for the tow hook rod. I'll take a look again today to confirm, but this is just like when I told people my battery was in the trunk an no one believed me but it was ha ha.
Shoot a little video for Youtube, there's none for the W212. There's 3 cutouts in the front bumper, one for the tow hook which all cars have, and then there's 2 more for the washers under the headlamps. And course there's one for the rear too. Just doesn't look like there's space for a tow hook in addition to the washer. The tow hook for the front is just a little bit below and to the right of the left washer though.

Also in terms of warranties and insurance, I think for health insurance they're mandated to spend 80% of premiums on coverage. So if you can get a warranty where there's minimal sales commission, in theory if their insurance is set up the same way, maybe 80% of the premium you're paying on average goes toward claims and the rest is profit/overhead. The question is whether or not you're going to experience above average or below average claims.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Only 1 tow hook insertion point. You can see the headlamp washer doors and the tow hook door clearly here. Three doors. Two identical(headlamp) and one odd man out(tow hook).

http://www.dieselstation.com/Mercede...s02-i3408.html
Old 11-24-2015, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol, check again mate, im pretty sure theres only 3 square holes in there.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by The G Man
$2700 is hardly a catastrophic failure in a E550, a catastrophic failure will be in the 5 digits. I would have taken that extra three years of warranty for $2700, that price is a bargain, especially for the Mercedes factory extended warranty for a E550.
Maybe I would change my tune on the warranty if I was forced to have the Airmatic suspension, which could fail at any time and exceed this price for repairs, but fortunately I found that the 2012+ E550 does not have it, and neither do most E350 as considered in this thread. Other than that, I would find it hard to justify paying an extra 11% of purchase price up front for 3 years of "mechanical insurance" on a car that has very few reports of any mechanical defects outside of the Airmatic, and will likely see less than 20K additional miles in that time period.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KEY08
Only 1 tow hook insertion point. You can see the headlamp washer doors and the tow hook door clearly here. Three doors. Two identical(headlamp) and one odd man out(tow hook).

http://www.dieselstation.com/Mercede...s02-i3408.html
I just went down to check since I had to grab something and you're right Sir
Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by beejAMG
lol, check again mate, im pretty sure theres only 3 square holes in there.
LOL.....I can def. admit I'm wrong on this one. Can I make an excuse and say washer fluid got in my eye on that night I thought I saw it come from tow hook spot?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Haha! Too much of the old washer juice I say.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL.....I can def. admit I'm wrong on this one. Can I make an excuse and say washer fluid got in my eye on that night I thought I saw it come from tow hook spot?
lol i was thinking...those are pretty damn strong headlight washers if they were able to tow youre car from there!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Maybe I would change my tune on the warranty if I was forced to have the Airmatic suspension, which could fail at any time and exceed this price for repairs, but fortunately I found that the 2012+ E550 does not have it, and neither do most E350 as considered in this thread. Other than that, I would find it hard to justify paying an extra 11% of purchase price up front for 3 years of "mechanical insurance" on a car that has very few reports of any mechanical defects outside of the Airmatic, and will likely see less than 20K additional miles in that time period.
In my case the gamble has paid off in two out of three cases. The jury is still out on the S550. That car does have the airmatic suspension, and countless other systems that are expensive to replace if there is a failure. Perhaps the E class does not have as much at risk as the S class. In my case, the gamble paid off. To think that you would spend less than 2400 dollars in repairs on the last three years of ownership after the factory warranty expired is foolish IMO.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
Thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up picking up the 2014 e350 this evening and thus far I am loving every second of it!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up picking up the 2014 e350 this evening and thus far I am loving every second of it!
nice! congratulations! pics please!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Congratulations! It's time for some pictures.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
Here are a couple quick pics!

Questions about buying an used E-class-img_9007.jpg

Questions about buying an used E-class-img_9004.jpg

Questions about buying an used E-class-img_9005.jpg
Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Beautiful. Nicely done!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about buying an used E-class