About to buy 2016 E 400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG GLE 43 Coupe
Question About to buy 2016 E 400

Hello,
First post here but have been browsing for a while.
I think I am getting a good deal on an E 400. MSRP of 74K (with options & Packages) and I am getting 13% off.

I would really really appreciate if someone could give me some honest feedback and advice. Thanks in advance.

First question : Is this a good deal for GA ?

Second question : I am getting an Extended Warranty thru' Jeff, should I get warranties for the tires and the paint and the interior. Is it really necessary ?

Third Question : Pre-paid maintenance, is this real or a scam, Is there room for negotiation ?

Finally, where do I buy the all season floor mats from or am I just stuck with the dealer prices?

Thank you for the help.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Welcome to the fracas. I can answer your questions from my own perspective -- I an not an expert, nor am I involved in the retail auto market. (I do work for a supplier to the auto manufacturers, but that really has no bearing here.)

First, regarding price, I think you are getting a good deal. I got less of a discount (percentage) but I bought mine last summer, before the 2016's were out, etc.

Extended warranties are a personal thing. What is your appetite for risk? How careful are you with your car? I purchased the MB ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) to cover all the standard warranty-covered items for 7 years. I have had a MB in the past, and do not want to own an older one without warranty coverage. As for warranties for the wheels, tires and interior - personally I don't buy them. I am ****/paranoid about my cars, parking them far out in the back of the lot, etc. I am very careful about wheels, tires, interior, etc., and for the most part care for them at home. If you (or the wife) "can't be bothered" to park away from all the other cars, or if you routinely have to hit potholes or scrape curbs, the wheel/tire policy may be worth it. I don't take the paint (scratch, nick and dent) insurance because these things are related to how I treat the car and park it, etc. My last car was almost 15 years old when sold, and still had zero door-dings. Only some stone bruises from the road.

Pre-paid maintenance should be negotiable. I was able to get my first 4 scheduled maintenance visits pre-paid at roughly half the dealer's standard pricing. Since I planned to have this work done at the dealer, this was a good deal for me. If you plan to use an independent shop, it may not be such a good deal.

I keep 2 sets of floor mats for my car. For summer, I use the MB carpet mats that were in the car when I bought it. For winter, I bought a full set of WeatherTech FloorLiners. These are heavy-duty, custom-fit rubber-like "tray" mats that hold all the salt and melted snow well away from the carpeting. I just change the mats when the seasons change.

I hope this helps. I think you will enjoy the E400 immensely. I know I do, even having moved from a V8 sedan (Lexus LS430) to the TT V6. The E400 is much more engaging and fun to drive than the luxo-barge ever could be.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG GLE 43 Coupe
Steve400,
Thank you for the response.

I am paranoid like you are but my wife doesn't share my paranoia for these things. I will decide based on how much they want to charge me.
Thanks for the note on prepaid maintenance, I will use your feedback.

GA doesn't see snow that much and the days we do have snow, everything shuts down. Go figure. I will take a look at the Weather Tech mats definitely.

Thank you again.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Dealer thru in the all season mats when I bought mine.

I have 2 sets if you can't get them free I'll let a set go for $60.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Unless you want to buy the extended warranty now, you have until the factory warranty ends to decide. Granted prices could (will) go up but maybe you'd rather hold your money for 4 years and decide after you see how reliable your car is. Even if you get it now, you should get a full refund if you decide to return it before it kicks in.

With prepaid maintenance, it can be a good deal if you plan to use the dealer for service and depending on which services are coming up for you. usually the 1st service 1y/10k is cheap (relatively) whereas the 2y/20k and 4y/40k are more. I wouldn't buy it to cover the 1st service. I would wait until at least the 2/20k. Depending on your maintenance manual the 4y, 6y, or 7y can be the most expensive. Check your schedule for when ATF fluid and plugs are due and then try to get a pack to cover those.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
13 E350 Bluetec ...... 05 SL55
I have used all types over the years.

3D Maxpider is the nicest so far.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...loor-mats.html

http://www.u-ace.com/

Welcome and enjoy your new ride.