E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Things sure are different- DIY then vs now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Things sure are different- DIY then vs now

Got my 1st car when I was in college- a 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix. I tried to do as much myself on the car as I could. Did tune ups (2 of the plugs were a bear to access). After that I had a Toyota Celica. Did tune ups, oil changes, brake pads and shoes, ripped out the stock Fujitsu audio system, and put in a Blaupunkt head unit, Alpine speakers, Clarion amp. Then came a couple of Nissans (my first new cars) and I was chicken to do stuff because the cars were under warranty but once warranties lapsed, I did oil changes and brake pads. I also use to rotate tires.

These days I have no idea what ever happened to my ramps, and I think the most adventurous I am in the DIY realm are wiper blades, engine air filter and cabin air filter.

Forget oil- now you need to dispose of the oil properly (of course I did that also in the 7o's and 80's :-). I did a set of plugs on a Honda a couple years back, but now with aluminum heads I'm afraid of stripping a thread. So on my w212, I think it's going to be blades and air filters and washer fluid but the owners manual makes me wonder whether the washer fluid I've been using for 40 years will cause my Benz to implode. Truth be told, I no longer have the time or inclination to do the other stuff.

I guess that's part of the difference between being a teen and being as my oldest son is fond of saying, an old dude.

Last edited by Zavato; 05-15-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Right there with you buddy. I still manage to have an older car around that I can tear into, so I don't lose complete touch. I just sold my '69 Mach 1 after finishing everything it needed. Time to get another.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 PM

2012 E350
69 Mach 1 is sweet. I saw a '67 Shelby GT350 this morning- nice too
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
So far I've done all the filters and the oil change on my 2010. Also bled the brakes and did all the inspections on the last B service. The car is out of warranty, but even so, that isnt the deciding factor. I like to do this kind of work myself and know that it is done right. It also keeps me in tune with how it is running and makes it easier to stay ahead of problems.

I think the OP has bought into the myth that these cars are so complex that mere mortal shade-tree mechanics cant even touch them. Some things I wont do, but routine maintenance isn't that bad.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I used to be like you and did as much as I could. Of course cars back then didn't have computers you had to plug into to read codes or release electric parking brakes etc.

But now that I'm older (not really that old, 40's), and have a bad back and restricted motion due to bad back, I can't really do much anymore. Getting down under the car is easy, getting back up is a whole different thing.

Of course our incomes have also risen significantly, so spending a few hundred once a year to take the car to the dealer isn't as big an impact as it used to be.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM

2012 E350
When I was 20, spending even a few dollars more to bring the car to an oil change place was unthinkable. Now as far as oil changes are concerned I have neither the time or inclination. Yet I know I can do an oil change (can't be any more difficult that building the tubed hifi equipment I have belt over the last few years!)

Yes, somethings are more complex and you need a computer to diagnose. But my time has value and thankfully I earn more than I did 30 or 40 years ago.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Are you factoring in the time + gas cost to get to the shop, talk to the advisor, etc etc?
With an oil extractor the oil change can be finished in less than 30 minutes,
and the oil filters are now on top of the engine so one does not even have to get under the car.
Just something to think about.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
I do all of my own work, even heavy/technical stuff. Fuel injectors & steering box on my Ford, oil changes, transmission filters & oils, etc. Restoring my 1970 Torino Cobra too. Nothing really scares me off...but I'm 39 years old, so eventually I might get bored.

On my E350 I bought the oil extractor pump on Amazon and don't get under it for oil changes. My wife just bought a 2016 Escalade and I'm anxious to change its oil...2300 miles so far. I'm a nerd like that.

I love working on cars, but I totally get why some people don't, and why others used to enjoy it but prefer to pay someone to do it for them now.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by VVF
Are you factoring in the time + gas cost to get to the shop, talk to the advisor, etc etc?
With an oil extractor the oil change can be finished in less than 30 minutes,
and the oil filters are now on top of the engine so one does not even have to get under the car.
Just something to think about.

Yes, I am. I still need to bring the spent oil somewhere.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Zavato
Yes, I am. I still need to bring the spent oil somewhere.
Any store selling oil is required by law to collect used oil. Once I have about 10Gallons of used oil, I take it to Advance Auto Parts for free disposal.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
The reason I do most of my own work is to save money and make sure it gets done right. An "A" service is probably about 2-300 bucks at the dealer and most of it is changing the oil. If you buy the oil yourself (Mobil 1 at wallyworld) its about 50 bucks. Add in the correct filter cartridge for another ten. So you are at 60 bucks plus the time it takes , maybe an hour at most to do the oil change and you can run through the checklist and sign that off too. Eventually you need to dispose of the oil, and that is pretty much any parts store nearby as a service to their customers. Is it easier to just drop it off and pick up a loaner? Sure, and as long as you are happy paying the difference, more power to ya.

But your original post talks about the car imploding if you use the wrong washer fluid, and that just isn't so. DIY maintenance is very doable on these cars if you are inclined and know what you are doing. I don't think you save time unless you have the dealer pick up the car and return it serviced, but again, you pay for that one way or another.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by aquinob
So far I've done all the filters and the oil change on my 2010. Also bled the brakes and did all the inspections on the last B service. The car is out of warranty, but even so, that isnt the deciding factor. I like to do this kind of work myself and know that it is done right. It also keeps me in tune with how it is running and makes it easier to stay ahead of problems.

I think the OP has bought into the myth that these cars are so complex that mere mortal shade-tree mechanics cant even touch them. Some things I wont do, but routine maintenance isn't that bad.

I can't agree more with you guys. I don't want anyone touching my car if I can do it myself and know what's going on with it. I'm also a cheap-***, so it works out. I can't imagine paying a dealer $300 for an oil change. They just take it in the back and let some high school drop-out do it. If you think some master mechanic is changing your oil back there, no way.

MB are not any more complicated than any other new vehicle. They all have basically the same parts, some are just more expensive than others. Specs on fluids and other things can be found easily in the manuals or forums.

W212 are still too new and expensive for a lot of DIY'ers, but good info will fill in here as they get older and passed on.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jonUF02
I can't agree more with you guys. I don't want anyone touching my car if I can do it myself and know what's going on with it. I'm also a cheap-***, so it works out. I can't imagine paying a dealer $300 for an oil change. They just take it in the back and let some high school drop-out do it. If you think some master mechanic is changing your oil back there, no way.

MB are not any more complicated than any other new vehicle. They all have basically the same parts, some are just more expensive than others. Specs on fluids and other things can be found easily in the manuals or forums.

W212 are still too new and expensive for a lot of DIY'ers, but good info will fill in here as they get older and passed on.
Not saying that the high school dropout is a genius, and my dealer wants $100 for an oil change, still expensive, but there is a bit more to taking the car to have the dealer do the oil -
- their liability if something is done wrong
- time and effort is entirely theirs
- car wash
- my hands are my livelihood... If I get injured I can't work ... Someone else can take that risk on... Not saying it's a lot but things happen
- I hate disposing of oil
Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jonUF02
I cant stand any of the car forums until the vehicles reach a certain age and people finally just realize its another piece of machinery that can be worked on.

Here or any other luxury brand forum motto is , if it isnt expensive then it must be crap. Its completely fine if someone wants to spend their $$$ and not touch anything on the car, but please stop posting crap about how complicated the services are if you have not turned your own wrench to do it.

Last edited by s140s; 05-20-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:45 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Not saying that the high school dropout is a genius, and my dealer wants $100 for an oil change, still expensive, but there is a bit more to taking the car to have the dealer do the oil -
- their liability if something is done wrong
- time and effort is entirely theirs
- car wash
- my hands are my livelihood... If I get injured I can't work ... Someone else can take that risk on... Not saying it's a lot but things happen
- I hate disposing of oil
I also hate disposing of oil.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
most of the DIY stuff I've done I either end up hurting myself or breaking something. Got scalded a couple times years and years ago changing my own oil and other car maintenance from under the car. So I stick to the simpler stuff like air filters - but that hasn't stopped me from over-torquing or stripping the occasional screw. Just clumsy I guess. If I would have had the equipment to pump oil out from above, I might have kept at it.

Now I mostly fix stuff that interests me like appliances and computers that require basic tools.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:38 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by s140s
Any store selling oil is required by law to collect used oil. Once I have about 10Gallons of used oil, I take it to Advance Auto Parts for free disposal.
I'm aware that I can bring the oil to an auto parts store, but I just don't care to be transporting oil. To each their own. I guess the way I look at it now, there are other ways I would prefer to spend my time. And since I had the coin to buy a MB, I'm not going to worry about a few hundred dollars a year I pay others for the sake of convenience. I suppose we all pick and choose what we prefer to be frugal in, and for me, at this time, place and stage, changing my own oil isn't it.

YMMV!