E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 - Rear Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
E350 - Rear Tires

I have have an 2010 E350 and I am having tire wire on the rear tires. They are wearing the middle within 10 months. Is anyone experiencing this???
Old 05-21-2016, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I presume you have already tested the tire pressures. The wear pattern you describe usually happens on overinflated tires.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Yes and no

Originally Posted by RM30047
I have have an 2010 E350 and I am having tire wire on the rear tires. They are wearing the middle within 10 months. Is anyone experiencing this???
I bought my 2011 CPO with about 17K miles so I don't know if the tires had been replaced prior to purchase but when I bought it, it had Pirelli Pzero Nero all season. At 25K the rears were shot with 2/32 tread on the inside edge rising to 4/32 on the outside edge. I posted here asking about this unusual wear and folks attributed it to the factory camber settings. I had been running the rear tires at 39 pounds, halfway between the max load and normal load recommendations on the gas cap.

I did not like the bad weather, particularly snow (I have a cabin I frequent in North Arizona), performance of the Pirellis so I went with Continental DWS. I reduced air pressure to the minimum recommended 36 pounds to see if that might give me a little more even wear. Bad weather traction on the tires was excellent. However, they wore out after 10K with the center at 3/32 and the inside and outside edges at 5/32. This really baffles me because the wear pattern would indicate over-inflation but that is definitely not the case. I check my tire pressure in the morning at least every 4 weeks. I've checked my gauge and it is within 1 lb of other garage measurements and the car's tire pressure display.

In any event, I had my car aligned but the specs were not dramatically off. I am now trying Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I looked at Tire Rack reviews and about 10% complained of fast center wear on the DWS and most claimed they monitored tire pressure so it was not over-inflation. Also, the most recent listing of Consumer Reports has the DWS wearing out faster than average. However, my son has been using them on His Hyundai Tiburon and gets 25K+.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago on my Audi TT. I bought some Bridgestone tires and the fronts were shot in 10K when I normally got 25K (I've owned TTs for 15 years now). Again, about 25% of the customer reviews on Tire Rack complained of rapid wear. However, an equal number were bragging about getting 40K+????

This huge wear disparity among users really perplexes me. I check Tire Rack before I buy and I swear that I had not seen near as many rapid wear complaints on the tires that wore out on me. The only thing that makes sense to me is a change, or error, in the rubber formulation on some production batches at the factory.