E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Question on extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 E-Class
Question on extended warranty

I just purchased a 2016 E-Class and would appreciate any opinions/ experience on the extended warranty plans and the Prepaid Maintenance plan. Are these prudent options?

The left rear driver wheel looks like it was curbed already during a test drive (I can never figure how people can curd the driver side, but there it is). I picked it up at night and missed it. My wife and son will most certainly put more on it, so I’m not too bothered by it. But, wheel protection is probably out, should I still get it for the windshield protection.

Any experience very much appreciated.

On a side note, I have an ashtray and cigarette lighter. I haven’t seen these in a decade.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Prepaid maintenance is purely a financial play. If you plan on going to dealer for service, it will save you some money to prepay the services. You can buy form other dealers over the phone or by email to get the best price. You can even save sales tax if the dealer is out of state. I paid $1,100 for a 3 pack and I was coming up on a B,A,B cycle with plugs and ATF that would have cost over $2,000 a la carte at the dealer. Indy costs would have been less but still more than what I paid for prepaid. I would suggest waiting until after your first minor service as the A service is the cheapest. Best to get it before a B service especially if plugs or ATF are due. Check your maintenance guide so you know when the big expenses are (probably 6y/60k for plugs and 7y/70k for ATF).

Extended warranty is a personal choice - like buying insurance for repairs. You have until the end of your factory warranty to decide. You can get good prices from other dealers just like with prepaid maintenance. Personally, I would wait and see how you feel about keeping the car long term and its repair history before the factory warranty is up.

I would think your auto insurance has windshield protection as part of comprehensive coverage. Not sure what dealer is offering.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 E-Class
Thanks, this is great info
Old 06-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E400 COUPE
I'm coming up to my first schedule A service, the dealership told me if I want the PPM package , I would have the buy the package before I have the Schedule A service.
If I pay the schedule A service this month, will I be able to buy the PPM package
beginning with the schedule B at 20/30/40 3 yr package?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
Warranty

Maybe I am a sucker but I bought extended warranty on my 14 s 550 cpo car. Also bought wheel
And tire protection. Am covered til 2021. I keep my cars a long time. Wheels are $1150 each. So far I have had two wheels cleaned up do to curb scratches with zero hastle.

If you are planning to keep car for several years, I would but e w right before new car warranty expires and shop for best price. Wheels, windshield, etc a personal choice.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by Tmbenz
I'm coming up to my first schedule A service, the dealership told me if I want the PPM package , I would have the buy the package before I have the Schedule A service.
If I pay the schedule A service this month, will I be able to buy the PPM package
beginning with the schedule B at 20/30/40 3 yr package?
You should have no problem buying later. I think that dealer who told you that is full of it and just trying to get the sale. If they give you grief or a bad price, just go buy it from another dealer. Look for recommendations in the extended warranty forum. Those same finance folks that sell the extended warranties sell the prepaid maintenance.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Call MBUSA customer assistance re: the pre-paid maintenance as you are hopefully purchasing the MBUSA plan. In 2010, you had to purchase it before the first A service.
I purchased it simply to insure against any cost increases for parts and/or labor over the next three years.
As for ELW, I purchased it (first time ever) and it paid for itself. MB's are expensive to repair whether done at dealership or an indy. Today's cars have a lot of NEW electronics and technology that can go bad. In car electronics are the number one failure in reliability reports on all makes of cars. As they age, will get worse.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by thefisch
You should have no problem buying later. I think that dealer who told you that is full of it and just trying to get the sale. If they give you grief or a bad price, just go buy it from another dealer. Look for recommendations in the extended warranty forum. Those same finance folks that sell the extended warranties sell the prepaid maintenance.
I forgot that MB has two prepaid maintenance plans on their website - premier and star. Premier appears to be for new cars (before first service I presume) and star is for later purchases. Not sure of price differences, best to call around and get prices on both to see if better to start off with 4 year premier versus wait after 1st service and get 3 pack.