w212 2012 e350 4Matic Road Noise 60+ MPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 4Matic
w212 2012 e350 4Matic Road Noise 60+ MPH

Hi to all.

I have been battling with a specific noise since I purchased my 2012 e350 4Matic. The dealer I purchased from did not change the tires and only after purchasing the vehicle I noticed a bad rattling noise at high speeds. Turns out the tire had a bulge in it... Sooo, I ended up purchasing new set of Kumho Solus TA71 tires as I was told these were the best for road noise and comfort. I still experienced hard to describe noise that almost sounds like a helicopter at 60+ mph speeds. Took it to the dealer multiple times and they told me nothing is wrong that I need new tires. Ended up returning the Kumho's and purchased a set of Continental pure contact tires. I thought this would resolve the issue, but it is still present at high speeds and mainly occurs on smooth roads. Am I overly sensitive? I owned a 2009 C300 4Matic, 2005 E500 and never experienced this noise I am getting. I took it in again to the Mercedes dealership and again they told me nothing is wrong. It almost sounds like overly aggressive rotating and almost excessive thread noise, maybe even like a very quick tapping noise.

I am confused and have found no resolution to this issue and it's really getting to me. Smooth roads is really when I hear it and of course on highways when I am consistently going over 60mph. I asked my Benz dealership to check for any bad bearings, but they confirmed that nothing is wrong with the bearings. This is 2 sets of brand new tires making the same noise.

Anyone have some insight and experience on why this could be happening? I do appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I only use Continental tires and have never had any high speed noise issues. Absolutely quiet. Maybe a drivetrain noise or a transfer case slowly leaving the planet. That is not normal and you are right to question it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I hope not and if it is, I only hope they do something before my warranty expires this August. The car is smooth as can be until I hit that 60mph range and it's still smooth but with the excessive (whatever the noise is) noise. I need the absolute best advice from anyone before I am gutted out of warranty. Can't imagine how much it would cost to replace a transfer case . My dealer is being the worst possible, throws all faults at me and that ticks me off. Luckily there is another Benz dealer near me so I'm going to try them. I wish I could explain the dang noise... It's like the tires are rotating faster then it should and making it obvious to hear because of it. It's weird but with my Kumho's it felt like the noise was in the right rear and now I'm feeling them towards the front left and rear left.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Also, as I drive 60+ and slow down from 60+ I hear the noise increase and decrease as I hit the brakes or simply slow down.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:31 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I've searched for months online and couldn't find a noise that comes close but Oddly I just came across this video and it duplicated the noise I am getting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZzHvlzfH-A
Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
So a couple of things
How long does the car sit like in your garage before you get it on the highway? IF the car sits for a long enough period of time they will tend to flat spot but eventually they clean up.

My other thought is that you may have a bad rim. Have the tires been force balanced?

If it is a wheel bearing noise it will change as you turn the wheel and load and unload the bearing.

I test drove a 2012 E3504matic before I bought my 2010 and it had brand new off brand tires and it sounded like I was on mudders. I took it right back.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-27-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
The car is driven daily has brand new tires and I forgot to mention but I actually replaced the original wheels (also had same noise) to another refinished set of oem wheels from the dealer and I'm still experiencing the same issue. When I steer left and right noise isn't there... Only starts at high speeds only mainly driving straight. I initially took my refinished wheels and new tires to get them road force balanced, but found out the balancer is broken... At this point no road force has been done. I have continentals on now so no off brands, but both cont and kumho's performing the same way... At this point I guess it's road force or something else... I hate not to be able to enjoy my ride

Last edited by usautocustoms; 06-27-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS
Based on everything you have done, I don't think your issue is tires or wheel related.

I may be completely wrong, but I would look closely at the transfer case. Since you have the 4Matic, do a search on this and other forums regarding transfer case issues on the 4Matic models.

Just my 2c..
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Turn on the radio
Old 06-28-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I have driven with bubbled tires and bent rims on my E class cars and have still never had any type of howling or whining from the tires over the years. The most would be a slight vibration. I had an issue with the transfer case on my '04 E500 4Matic, but that was only at slow turning speed. it was remedied by a change of fluid in the case. The new 4Matic is a different animal altogether and has had some issues that would be worth looking into. The fix, unfortunately is a whole new transmission. I hope you are not getting the run around, and I would highly recommend taking the car to another mechanic for an opinion.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:44 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I appreciate all the insight.

The following will be taking place:
Today at 4 I'm taking it where my wheels were balanced to look deeper and see if anything will be noticed by the tire wheel shop

Tomorrow I will be taking it to a local mechanic to also look into the noise

Tuesday the 5th I will be taking it to the Mercedes dealership I have been taking the car to, they advised me that they will take wheels from a 2014 and swap to test drive and see if noise will continue and go from there.

On the 14th I have another appointment with another Mercedes dealership to look into it as well.

I'm hoping this issue is resolved today and if not I still have till August before the warranty expires, so hopefully it is diagnosed properly.

Yes I have been getting the run around from the first Mercedes dealership, but no more taking this lightly.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
By the way, it isn't a howling or whining noise. Imagine a bulge in the middle of the tire and imagine the noise it'll make when going 60mph. That is exactly what's occurring without the bulge. Idk I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS
I think you have a good strategy!

Best of luck, and I hope you get it resolved today!

Please keep us posted!

Last edited by JSch; 06-28-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Tire shop thinks it could be wheel bearing but I still highly doubt it since the dealer checked all 4 and it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing (I could be wrong).
Took it to another tire shop and they think it could be due to the tire thread, doubt it.

Mechanic tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by usautocustoms
Tire shop thinks it could be wheel bearing but I still highly doubt it since the dealer checked all 4 and it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing (I could be wrong).
Took it to another tire shop and they think it could be due to the tire thread, doubt it.

Mechanic tomorrow.
When I had 2010 E550 4Matic, I had similar noise. I thought it was from tires, local dealer initially thought it was coming from 4Matic, but they found one of wheel bearing was bad.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Originally Posted by BetterTomorrow
When I had 2010 E550 4Matic, I had similar noise. I thought it was from tires, local dealer initially thought it was coming from 4Matic, but they found one of wheel bearing was bad.
Did yours also sound like a "non wheel bearing issue noise" Doesn't a wheel bearing issue typically occur on any speeds including turning left and right? Maybe my wheel bearing isn't "done" yet and is getting to the point so it's starting out slowly?

My dealer has been throwing all the blame at me, but I've done all my due diligence. When I called today, they changed their tone and started to offer me "test wheels" from a 2014 e class to see if the noise continues... After 3 sets of rims, 2 sets of tires, those wheels and tires aren't going to fix it and I just can hope at this point they attempt to at the least replace all the bearings as a start. Such a tough noise to troubleshoot, but very annoying. I really wish it's a wheel bearing, because that will be one heck of a quick fix.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
The more I watch video's and read reviews, I believe you may be right BetterTomorrow. It seems like everyone has different type of noise and could be expected to be a bit more silent for Mercedes possibly... Most of the video's online show trucks and older vehicles that make a humming noise, but mine makes more of a helicopter noise kind of like this video (not the humming) but the helicopter thumping like a bulge is in the middle. Please see this video and let me know if anyone can confirm that this thumping/helicopter noise could very well be the wheel bearing.... I do not get this noise unless I'm going over 60mph and do not get this noise when I turn left and right...

See minutes 1:50 - 2:00
Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec
Wow this is sounds like a huge pain, i feel for you as i am very sensitive to noises and creaks in the car and they drive me nuts, thankfully the only little bit of noise I am getting is from the poorly rated OEM tires when I am at speed, not noticable 80% of the time though, definitely nothing close to what you are describing. Your problem is not a wheel or tire issue given the fact that you change out the wheels and tires. The video you posted does sound like a helicopter so that might be it.

What i would do is request a ride along with a service manager and record the process, and if the noise is undeniably there and they are not helping you, send an E-Mail with the video to Mercedes also call and state your issue if you have not already, they are very helpful. Or take it to any competent mechanic and pay a few bucks to get an evaluation so you can tell the dealer what might be the problem. Best of luck.

Last edited by Diesel #2; 06-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Yeah, that video was tough to watch in more ways than one.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
It absolutely kills me. Such a beautiful vehicle, but than you drive it and it feels like you don't want to drive it. Tomorrow a mechanic will look at it and I really hope he finds something. I'm ready to enjoy the ride... Been a pain thus far. At least now I can definitely say it sounds like a helicopter noise.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel #2
Wow this is sounds like a huge pain, i feel for you as i am very sensitive to noises and creaks in the car and they drive me nuts, thankfully the only little bit of noise I am getting is from the poorly rated OEM tires when I am at speed, not noticable 80% of the time though, definitely nothing close to what you are describing. Your problem is not a wheel or tire issue given the fact that you change out the wheels and tires. The video you posted does sound like a helicopter so that might be it.

What i would do is request a ride along with a service manager and record the process, and if the noise is undeniably there and they are not helping you, send an E-Mail with the video to Mercedes also call and state your issue if you have not already, they are very helpful. Or take it to any competent mechanic and pay a few bucks to get an evaluation so you can tell the dealer what might be the problem. Best of luck.
Wow I never thought of that. That is something I will do. I'm thankful we have 2 dealers here, so one will end up fixing it (being optimistic) . Thanks for the advice. I will be riding with the manager this coming Tuesday since the mechanic kept on throwing all crap on me. No more, time to fix this.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Sounds similar to an issue I had on mine...it was a bad transfer case, replaced under warranty. Once replaced quiet as a church mouse. Good luck
Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 AM

2010 w212 E350 4matic
i am dealing with a bad bearing the transfer case.....if you dont get it fix by the time your warranty exp date i would def purchase the extended warranty the day b4 cureent exp date!!!!

i wish my vehicle was covered with the extended warranty and i could get a loaner car and new trans/transfer case and not have to deal with my situation!

i am still trying to get the extended warranty approved and purchased. in my eyes if it cost $2.5k or less, it is worth it!

out of warranty makes for big big big headaches. you can see why in my thread link below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...long-read.html

best of luck to you, look into extended warranty if you really want to keep the vehicle, that way there will be no questions or headaches when its too late and the noise gets worse/louder. at that point the ticking time bomb has started and its only a matter of time till the real damage happens.
just my 2cents!
tony
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM

2012 e350 4Matic
Thanks guys. Knowing the transfer case is somewhere in the tranny, I believe even if it's not a transfer case issue, I need to get the extended warranty. Such a pain.

This car only has 38,000 miles and I was able to purchase it for $24,000, so looking at the prices it's not a bad deal by adding the extended on top. I'll keep everyone posted

Last edited by usautocustoms; 06-29-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 AM
JEL

2002 CLK430
This thread has me a bit worried. I'm planning on getting an E250 diesel with the 4matic option, but I'm seeing a lot of issues with the once-bullet proof (w210, w211) 4matic system in the w212.

Does anyone know for if they updated the system in the face lifted 2014+? I'd hate to get into one of these things and run into this down the line, I commute 90 miles open freeway daily so it wouldn't take long to get into trouble it sounds like...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w212 2012 e350 4Matic Road Noise 60+ MPH